Currency to use during excursions for Panama Canal partial transit ?

The Other Tom

Panama has no paper currency of its own. They use US dollars. The other stops will take USD. We have taken this cruise and the only place we had any trouble using dollars was in Columbia. And that was only in one shop.

Edited by joeyancho

On my Canal cruse I used the almighty dollar in every port. In brick and mortar stores I used my Visa, but in outdoor shops and stands I used USD in smaller denominations.

USD for beer and such in port. Plastic for everything else. Just be sure to let your credit card carrier know you will be using it out of the country so they don't cut it off when they see "weird" charges start coming in. :)

If you try the Balashi beer in Aruba don't be surprised to find it comes in tiny little 8 oz. bottles. I think we paid $4.50 per little bottle in town and $4.75 each at the beach. Wowie Zowie! Of course we must drink the local beer!

Edited by Thrak

USD for beer and such in port. Plastic for everything else. Just be sure to let your credit card carrier know you will be using it out of the country so they don't cut it off when they see "weird" charges start coming in. :)

Yes, don't forget to advice the credit card carrier.

We're doing a Panama Canal partial transit in Feb and was wondering what currency the shops and street vendors accept. We will be visiting Aruba, Cartagena, Colon, Limon, and Grand Caymon. Is it best to use local currency or USD ?

Aruba even takes US$ on the island buses, and gives change! Easiest way to get to the beaches.

We did the partial several years ago and later the full transit. On the partial we took the train excursion to Panama City which was great but it booked up long before the cruise even started! On the train the tour guide told us that they only accept Balboas in Panama and then asked if we would like to see a Balboa. He then held up a Balboa for all of us to see. It was a US dollar! Panama does not have its own currency. We all got a good laugh out of that.

All the Caribbean islands accept the USD but use small bills as they might give you change in their currency. There has been reports of credit card fraud in the islands so we always try to use only cash and only taking what we need when off the ship.

Be sure to notify your credit card issuer that you will be out of the country.