No more balcony/suite discount within 6 months(as of Sept 1,2016)

PH8

I guess you'll find out in two days, but I could have sworn that someone said that whole flyer got scuttled.

It was actually updated from the original link that Kathy provided. I believe she said that if there were any updates, clicking on the link would show the changes.

That $300 is the balcony discount for a 10+ night sailing in your C&A tier level.

Thanks Karen.

The point of my original post was, I was responding to 2 people that were saying that their balcony discounts were not being applied to this sailing. When I checked there was an amount that showed up as a C&A discount which coincidentally happened to be the same amount as the balcony discount. I'm not even sure what tier the two people were I just logged in and used mine as an example.

It appears that now that balcony discounts are being listed as C&A discount where before I believe (could be mistaken) that they were listed as a balcony discount.

My apologies to steveru621.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Wow - I didn't even know there was such a thread! You do learn something every day on CC.

I was thrilled to find out there was such a thread. I have it bookmarked! :D

The increase of $25 for Pinnacle Club Members is a permanent increase as of August 15, 2016. It's noted here http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal...preciation.pdf

We are newly minted D+ . . . so we are very unlikely to ever make Pinnacle. I felt RC should have always had a higher balcony discount for P's than D+. That is the way loyalty discounts should work. The additional $25 discount is simply correcting this.

The no balcony discount if less than 6 months is a different matter. I feel this is wrapped up in the newer "no discounted prices near cruise date" policy.

When the BOGO first come out a couple of years ago cruisers snapped up cruises. [i only booked 2 at the beginning of BOGO, Boo Hoo--I learned my lesson :rolleyes: ] This almost filled up the ships as soon as new itineraries were announced. It drove up prices and you could see from the earnings reports that RCL was doing well. Hence the "no last minute discount" policy.

Fast forward a couple of years and earnings are not what they were. Look at the earnings report that came out about a week ago. Stock prices are flat and are $25 below the high. [some of this is because of world events.] But, I think the "no last minute discount" policy is not working. They want to lower prices at the last minute to fill those cabins.

This new balcony discount policy was what they thought would be a good way to lock in the early bookers and still get to lure in last minute deciders with discounts. I am sure from a dollars point of view this makes sense. . . But, I can not understand how they did not see a HUGE firestorm of criticism coming.

. . . And hiding it in a customer appreciation flyer was ironic. It says a lot about the clueless nature of the PR team.

I guess you'll find out in two days, but I could have sworn that someone said that whole flyer got scuttled.

I tend to think that although the Sept 1 new policy was scuttled (love this word) that the August 15 dated new policy was not. It is about time that Pinnacles earned a little more discount, considering what they have spent cruising already.

I am not there yet, nor any way close, nor have much likelihood of getting to Pinnacle.

We are newly minted D+ . . . so we are very unlikely to ever make Pinnacle. I felt RC should have always had a higher balcony discount for P's than D+. That is the way loyalty discounts should work. The additional $25 discount is simply correcting this.

The no balcony discount if less than 6 months is a different matter. I feel this is wrapped up in the newer "no discounted prices near cruise date" policy.................

This new balcony discount policy was what they thought would be a good way to lock in the early bookers and still get to lure in last minute deciders with discounts. I am sure from a dollars point of view this makes sense. . . But, I can not understand how they did not see a HUGE firestorm of criticism coming.

. . . And hiding it in a customer appreciation flyer was ironic. It says a lot about the clueless nature of the PR team.

Yes, you are 100% correct in the assessment of the clueless aspect of the PR team, not to have expected a huge blowup from cruisers.

I don't consider a window of 6 months however to be 'near cruise date' for this policy to make sense at all. They could have said, no balcony discounts within 30 days of sailing and that to me, is very very much 'close to sail date'. It would give them the opportunity to 'cut prices on any remaining cabins available' -- IF in fact the previous policy of 'no last minute price cuts' on long cruises (because they never stopped reducing fares if necessary on short 3,4 or 5 day sailings) isn't working as well as they had hoped and they still see too many cabins available 30 days out from sail away.

I totally agree that it is correct to give Pinnacles a little bit more of a balcony discount than D+'s, even though we won't ever get to be a Pinnacle....it is fair to do.

<Snip>

The no balcony discount if less than 6 months is a different matter. I feel this is wrapped up in the newer "no discounted prices near cruise date" policy.

When the BOGO first come out a couple of years ago cruisers snapped up cruises. [i only booked 2 at the beginning of BOGO, Boo Hoo--I learned my lesson :rolleyes: ] This almost filled up the ships as soon as new itineraries were announced. It drove up prices and you could see from the earnings reports that RCL was doing well. Hence the "no last minute discount" policy.

Fast forward a couple of years and earnings are not what they were. Look at the earnings report that came out about a week ago. Stock prices are flat and are $25 below the high. [some of this is because of world events.] But, I think the "no last minute discount" policy is not working. They want to lower prices at the last minute to fill those cabins.

This new balcony discount policy was what they thought would be a good way to lock in the early bookers and still get to lure in last minute deciders with discounts. I am sure from a dollars point of view this makes sense. . . But, I can not understand how they did not see a HUGE firestorm of criticism coming.<Snip>.

Hello,

The 'no last minute discount' policy may be holding by using a strict interpretation of the words. Here, offers hot from the press on Friday, included OBC and free port parking/transport/airfare on both 2016 & 2017 cruises that were not offered when the cruises came onto the market in 2015 & 2016. I'm unsure whether sadly or happily, but none of my booked cruises have appeared on the offer list so cannot comment on any movement in the 'base price'.

Back to the original topic: If I wanted to book a UK cruise on-board in the UK for that year, I could not book one more than six months out. The first ship arrives in the UK on 28th April and the last sailing is 27th October.

I think, as a previous poster said, RCI has too many cabins to fill.

Regards,

Cublet

Thanks Karen.

The point of my original post was, I was responding to 2 people that were saying that their balcony discounts were not being applied to this sailing. When I checked there was an amount that showed up as a C&A discount which coincidentally happened to be the same amount as the balcony discount. I'm not even sure what tier the two people were I just logged in and used mine as an example.

It appears that now that balcony discounts are being listed as C&A discount where before I believe (could be mistaken) that they were listed as a balcony discount.

My apologies to steveru621.

The whole website is very inconsistent. It shows only sometimes.

It does appear RCI has changed the terminology.

It was actually updated from the original link that Kathy provided. I believe she said that if there were any updates, clicking on the link would show the changes.

I'm still seeing the version showing the balcony discount going away on September 1. And I haven't received any kind of "never mind" email, either.

Edited by critterchick

Yesterday I changed one of my reservations for next August, so over six months away, and the balcony discount Did not change......no additional $25 for us. Will check it again tomorrow to see if it increases.

Edited by billsgal

Yesterday I changed one of my reservations for next August, so over six months away, and the balcony discount Did not change......no additional $25 for us. Will check it again tomorrow to see if it increases.
I'm not sure why you would have expected it to change. The original announcement (which might not \ might still be in effect) was not to be in effect until tomorrow 15 Aug. Even if it is still going to be in effect, you would probably have to make a change on/after 15 August.

I'm still seeing the version showing the balcony discount going away on September 1. And I haven't received any kind of "never mind" email, either.

I downloaded the .pdf file to iBooks, which shows the 9/1/16 cutoff date for the balcony discount elimination on bookings made within 6 months.

As of Aug 15th,Rita..:)

Ironically, tomorrow is my final payment day. I hoped that I could use additional balcony discount for "appreciation week". Now looks like they will postpone it. How long I can delay my final payment?

First of all, no one said for sure the balcony discount will be postponed.

Secondly, if you want to use the new discount, they will probably base it on tomorrow's rate...so if it is more than $25 higher, it won't be worth it.

Final payment is due on final payment date...no stalling it.

Ironically, tomorrow is my final payment day. I hoped that I could use additional balcony discount for "appreciation week". Now looks like they will postpone it. How long I can delay my final payment?

You can't delay 'final payment' -- on date it is due, it is due. If not paid the cabin will revert to 'available and your reservation cancelled'.

As of Aug 15th,Rita..:)

Kathy, I understand. I just wanted to see what will happen tomorrow. I told the res agent I would probably be calling back on Monday to get the higher balcony discount, and he laughed and said the price will probably go up by $75 so we can give you the additional $25[emoji6]

Kathy, I understand. I just wanted to see what will happen tomorrow. I told the res agent I would probably be calling back on Monday to get the higher balcony discount, and he laughed and said the price will probably go up by $75 so we can give you the additional $25[emoji6]

:D that is exactly what I predicted pages ago! :D

Keep in mind your final payment is due by 5:00PM.

Yes they will reprice..had a friend make DP..his bookings were made when he was D..called to get the additional discount.. Was told they first would reprice at the current rate, which of course, was more.:mad:

PS..I just did a booking and did not get the additional $25..go figure..and yes according to them it is August 15th since it is a GGG sale price that started the 15th.

Edit..never mind..the new obc is not combinable with above.

Edited by PH8

Sit down and hold on to your seats!

Ready?

I just priced a cruise and it came up with the added $25 balcony discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a feeling they were keeping that...it wasn't a GGG sale, was it?

My only concern is are they really going to ditch that Sept 1st rule?

Had a feeling they were keeping that...it wasn't a GGG sale, was it?

My only concern is are they really going to ditch that Sept 1st rule?

That concerns me now as well as I was told by more than one rep that the Member Appreciation week was also postponed:rolleyes:

Edit- Or the IT department did not get the memo :)

Edited by molly361