Specialty Restaurant Reservations Questions

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

My window for booking specialty restaurants opens tomorrow (August 16). Tonight, I can't see any button to push to get into the dining reservations. I see general information on how many reservations I can make, but nothing that allows me to go farther. Is that because I'm a day too early?

If I'm still up at midnight, is it possible I can make reservations then?

I think I'll have choices as to dining alone or with others, and the days/times, and the restaurant, but what comes first? In other words, do I have to select a restaurant first, alone or not alone next, and then a date and then an available time, or how does that work?

Thanks!

The reservation system rolls over at midnight, Miami time.

When you have access to the Reservation system:

First you will select a Restaurant, and then you will see a list of available seating times (Note: Passengers in Suites get first crack at the reservations, so unless you've booked a Suite, some seating times may already be filled)

After choosing the seating time, there is an option for sharing a table, or eating alone.

Thanks for the prompt response! One more question: are the times generally in half hour increments? I'm hoping to get 6:30 or 7:00 times.

Oh, and once you get to the point where you select the option for sharing a table or eating alone, are both those options always available, or is it possible the "eating alone" option won't be available?

Thanks for the prompt response! One more question: are the times generally in half hour increments? I'm hoping to get 6:30 or 7:00 times.

Oh, and once you get to the point where you select the option for sharing a table or eating alone, are both those options always available, or is it possible the "eating alone" option won't be available?

The seating times are in half hour increments.

Sharing is always an option; if there are not any "eating alone" tables still available, that seating time won't appear on the list.

Just made my reservations, a couple minutes after midnight EST. That was really discouraging. Was hoping to get 1 of the 2 dining alone to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, but there was absolutely nothing available on several nights I tried at either restaurant, sharing or not sharing. (We're on Regatta). I was lucky to get anything at 6:30 or 7 on any night - whew! I pity the folks who wait until tomorrow morning. I guess all those folks in the suites snagged all of the early reservations. Most days I tried showed only 8 or 9 PM rezzies. Of course, almost everything on the lone sea day was taken!

Oh well, at least eating at 6:30 on a so-so night is better than eating at 9:00. We'll just pretend our anniversary is another night.

It looks like a strange cruise - very few people on the Roll Call, yet there are only 17 rooms available for sale with the cruise only 6 weeks away. Maybe there's a large group or something.

Thanks for your help.

Our cruise date is not until April 2017, wanted to go with a group but the group cabin category was sold out so booked direct. I've been wondering about your dining question and will be stalking my account on O leading up the the actual cruise date. Thanks for asking the question!

Just made my reservations, a couple minutes after midnight EST. That was really discouraging. Was hoping to get 1 of the 2 dining alone to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, but there was absolutely nothing available on several nights I tried at either restaurant, sharing or not sharing.

A suggestion, as we encountered this when booking our reservations for our June Alaska cruise aboard Regatta, and the only way that we could get earlier dining times was to share a table, which we did not want to do. I called Oceania to see if they could provide any help.

Their suggestion was once we boarded, to try and adjust specialty reservations right away. Usually this desk is just as you walk into Terraces, but that day the individual was at the Oceania Ambassador's desk just outside the Boutiques on Deck 5. He was able to assist us in getting the changes made. Good Luck!

Just made my reservations, a couple minutes after midnight EST. That was really discouraging. Was hoping to get 1 of the 2 dining alone to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, but there was absolutely nothing available on several nights I tried at either restaurant, sharing or not sharing. (We're on Regatta). I was lucky to get anything at 6:30 or 7 on any night - whew!

Keep checking every few days something earlier on your date may open up ..this happened to me for our April cruise

Another option go to the podium in the Terrace in the morning of the night you want & ask if any openings

It looks like a strange cruise - very few people on the Roll Call, yet there are only 17 rooms available for sale with the cruise only 6 weeks away. Maybe there's a large group or something.

Thanks for your help.

Not everyone is on Cruise critic ;)

enjoy the cruise

Yes, dining alone options were practically non-existent on the four or five dates I tried unless we wanted 8 or 9 PM, which we didn't. 7 PM would have been wonderful but those slots were not to be found unless, perhaps, I had checked the dates I didn't particularly want. I switched over to "shared" and it was still the same - very, very limited. Maybe I just tried the wrong dates, but it seemed awfully limited considering all the veranda and inside cabin cruisers still had to reserve. Of course, our cruise is perhaps a bit more challenging than many in that there's only one sea day, and at least several where we're in port until 7 or 8 PM. I like to spend a lot of time ashore, so coming back to the ship for dinner too early didn't sound ideal. Then again, it will be getting dark by 6:30 most days, so perhaps it doesn't really matter, as photography will be over for me by then. In the summer, though, I would want to be ashore.

I talked to a friend who has cruised Oceania a bit and she told me that my experience doesn't sound typical based on her experience (room not suite, mix of large and small ships, mostly European cruises, not U.S/Canada) so I don't want to scare future readers into thinking they will not have many choices. Even getting what I did, I still got a fairly reasonable time (6:30) for both restaurants, and the dates were spaced out relatively well, and those things are more important to us than dining alone or dining on the sea day. If you're a late diner, it looks like you'll have absolutely no problem getting what works best for you.

I'll probably still go see about the possibility of changing one reservation once we get on board though, particularly when we celebrate our anniversary. While I don't have a problem sharing (and know I'll meet great people) it would be nice to have a table for 2 that night.

So TravelNLesa, when you say "stalking" your cruise, do you mean looking to see how well it fills up, or what? If so, when it gets to the point of stalking, I assume you know that Oceania only lists 7 rooms in each category at a time? You have to keep clicking on the "show all" button to see a new list.

Just out of curiosity: I notice there's an option for making a reservation for other people not on your actual booking, so that they can share a table with you. How does that work if one or more people in your traveling party or group booking are in a suite and others aren't, given that suite holders get more reservations and get to reserve earlier?

Just out of curiosity: I notice there's an option for making a reservation for other people not on your actual booking, so that they can share a table with you. How does that work if one or more people in your traveling party or group booking are in a suite and others aren't, given that suite holders get more reservations and get to reserve earlier?

Usually you have to wait for the other passengers time slot to open up

say the Suite people can book 90 days out but the C cabin have to wait until 45 days out then the suite people usually cannot add them until 45 days out ...exceptions have been posted that people in higher cat got their companions booked earlier :eek:

You also need their booking number to add people to your reservations

Edited by LHT28

Usually you have to wait for the other passengers time slot to open up

say the Suite people can book 90 days out but the C cabin have to wait until 45 days out then the suite people usually cannot add them until 45 days out ...exceptions have been posted that people in higher cat got their companions booked earlier :eek:

You also need their booking number to add people to your reservations

On Marina last May, I was able to make all our dining reservations 75 days out (PH) and included our friends who were in Concierge. I had their booking number and the system allowed it with no problems.

On Marina last May, I was able to make all our dining reservations 75 days out (PH) and included our friends who were in Concierge. I had their booking number and the system allowed it with no problems.

That is why I said exceptions have been posted ...you are not the first to say they have included friends in their early booking process

It did not used to be the case when people could circumvent the system :rolleyes:

With Oceania's more senior passenger lists, it shouldn't be a surprise that early specialty restaurant booking disappear quickly. Many do, in fact, eat early and disappear to their cabins by 21:00. Even on rare nights with they have exceptional entertainment a seat is always easily found with all those early to bedders.

Best advice I can give, is don't go to the Terrace or GDR at or neat opening time. You'll be ran over by people (and/or walkers) trying to get in the door to eat immediately! :eek:

For some its a complex and hard to understand issue:

when they say;" I don't like to go to bed on a full stomach".

and you reply; " If you didn't go to bed before 9:00, your stomach wouldn't be full!" :rolleyes:

Anyway, you're on vacation! Break out of the mold. Have a couple cocktails, take a stroll around the ship in the early evening, try eating a bit later, sleep later, and relax! Just because one eats by 5-5:30 at home, doesn't mean they have to on the ship!

So with the 6:30 reservations I have, is that the earliest you can eat at the specialty restaurants? I don't remember seeing any 6:00 slots, but I really wasn't looking...just too early for us.

I'm guessing this will be quite an older crowd. After all, Canada/U.S. is an easier trip than Europe - no grueling overnight flights, different languages & money, few time changes, closer to home for most of us than Europe, etc. I notice Holland America has done a Montreal - New York or similar route at least 10 times this spring & summer - SOMEBODY must love it!

I think our Roll Call total is now up to maybe 6 posters and 12 total cruisers. I may not be going on the private excursion I was hoping to share with another 2 people. None of the 6 posters are interested so far, but I'm hoping things will change.

If you are in a lower level cabin, 7:00 PM w/o sharing will be hard to find, especially on sea days.

So with the 6:30 reservations I have, is that the earliest you can eat at the specialty restaurants? I don't remember seeing any 6:00 slots, but I really wasn't looking...just too early for us.

On our Regatta cruise this April I did see some 6pm openings this was unusual for Oceania most venues start at 6:30pm

Most of those ports are easily DIY with some research you can find some local tours

Edited by LHT28

What are the times for breakfast and lunch in the different dining venues please

It varies, depending on the port time. You can usually get something to eat from 6-6:30 on, sometimes the Terrace doesn't open to 7:30 and the MDR doesn't open till around 8 for breakfast.

For lunch it seems it's around noon, maybe 12:30 for the MDR. Check your daily newspaper Currents for exact times. Dinner in the Terrace is usually at 6:30, same for the MDR, I think.

Breakfast Hours last December on Riviera:

6:30-10:30 room service

6:30-11:00 Horizons Pastries and coffee

7-11:00 Waves

7:30 -10:00 Terrace

8:00-9:30 MDR Breakfast

--Lunch Hours

11:30 -1600 Waves Grill Lunch

1200-1400 Lunch in Terrace

1230-1400 GDR Lunch

1600-1700 Afternoon Tea

---

YMMV Depending on Itinerary and ship

I have seen Terrace open earlier for breakfast on other itineraries if a lot of tours leave early, or lunch venues stay open 1/2 hour longer if longer tours....

Edited by Cruseforme

Thanks, that's very helpful. It looks as though if we are out for a long port visit, we'll be able to get something to eat when we get back on board without having to wait until dinner (as I would hope!)