Just back from my Uniworld river cruise

PNFL

My guess is that the extreme heat that France was enduring on your cruise caused both Uniworld and some of its guest to be a little more lax. From my two Uniworld cruises shorts weren't in the dining room for dinner(especially the Christmas cruise-ha) but I imagine when it's over 100 degrees things are quite different. Thanks Caviargal for all your input

papa, yes, I agree. The temps were high and they really were not able to keep the ship cool and comfortable for passengers, especially during the day. I was grateful for the onboard laundry area and that was a very popular spot all week!

Temps or not, I was surprised at the number of passengers wearing shorts (and jeans) in the dining room at dinner. It would never occur to DH or I to wear shorts to dinner on any river cruise (or ocean cruise) and we were comfortable in appropriate summer clothing. Also, the CM never mentioned a change in policy on this sailing due to the heat, nor was in the daily bulletin. Just the facts :)

Edited by caviargal

papa, yes, I agree. The temps were high and they really were not able to keep the ship cool and comfortable for passengers, especially during the day. I was grateful for the onboard laundry area and that was a very popular spot all week!

Temps or not, I was surprised at the number of passengers wearing shorts (and jeans) in the dining room at dinner. It would never occur to DH or I to wear shorts to dinner on any river cruise (or ocean cruise) and we were comfortable in appropriate summer clothing. Also, the CM never mentioned a change in policy on this sailing due to the heat, nor was in the daily bulletin. Just the facts :)

We recently returned from a Douro River Cruise on Uniworld which has the same policy no shorts at night however they relaxed the policy due to the hot weather and we were told that on the ship.

We recently returned from a Douro River Cruise on Uniworld which has the same policy no shorts at night however they relaxed the policy due to the hot weather and we were told that on the ship.

We recently cruised the Douro with AMA and there were quite a few shorts at dinner. It was not addressed by the CM and we did not wear shorts to the dining room as the temp was very comfortable on the ship.

Edited by caviargal

Guess I am just too old fashioned, but I would never think of wearing shorts to dinner on a cruise as long as the air conditioning worked. If it wasn't working that might be different. But a sun dress would also work instead of shorts.

The only time I remember not changing for dinner on a cruise was after a shore excursion in Morocco that was very late returning to the ship. They even had to delay sailing because of the late hour. When we got back to the ship they just told us to go to dinner as we were because the hour was so late. But even then, I had on capri's but my DH had on shorts.

Guess I am just too old fashioned, but I would never think of wearing shorts to dinner on a cruise as long as the air conditioning worked. If it wasn't working that might be different. But a sun dress would also work instead of shorts.

I do not consider myself old fashioned but I also would never consider wearing shorts to dinner in a nice restaurant on land or water; nor would my husband. Personal taste and preference.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a window of time during which you can go to the DR, although I noticed that after the cruise director's nightly talk in the lounge, a lot of people went directly to the DR.

Roz

mj;

It is, in fact, open seating for dinner. The MDR opens at 7:00 p.m. for dinner, which as noted above typically nearly co-insides with the completion of the evening CD talk about the next days activities. The restaurant opens at 7:00, regardless of whether the CD is long winded or short winded that evening, in that not everyone chooses to attend his evening talks.

Most of the cruisers do, in fact, go to dinner directly after the CD wraps up his talks, and then sign up for any next day excursions that may be limited in number. However, some cruisers choose to wait, and may not come down until around 8 p.m. That appears to be the lastest most will come because it would be discourteous to wait longer, forcing the crew to work a longer day. The meals are European style and are paced on about a two hour schedule for completely the meal. Late arrivals will typically be served in a shorter period. This is not a flip the table issue, but one that it is easier to prepare and serve a single course for 6 showing up at 7:40 than it is the same course for 120 showing up at 7:00 p.m. sharp. One will find the food overall excellent and the service, atmosphere, and conversations all great!

mj;

It is, in fact, open seating for dinner. The MDR opens at 7:00 p.m. for dinner, which as noted above typically nearly co-insides with the completion of the evening CD talk about the next days activities. The restaurant opens at 7:00, regardless of whether the CD is long winded or short winded that evening, in that not everyone chooses to attend his evening talks.

Most of the cruisers do, in fact, go to dinner directly after the CD wraps up his talks, and then sign up for any next day excursions that may be limited in number. However, some cruisers choose to wait, and may not come down until around 8 p.m. That appears to be the lastest most will come because it would be discourteous to wait longer, forcing the crew to work a longer day. The meals are European style and are paced on about a two hour schedule for completely the meal. Late arrivals will typically be served in a shorter period. This is not a flip the table issue, but one that it is easier to prepare and serve a single course for 6 showing up at 7:40 than it is the same course for 120 showing up at 7:00 p.m. sharp. One will find the food overall excellent and the service, atmosphere, and conversations all great!

I like that because for some reason on Viking there is a mad stampede of starving geezers to the MDR at 7PM. :eek:

All kidding aside it has not presented a problem in access or service, just amusing.

Our longtime travel friends will return from yet another Uniworld cruise this Wednesday. Portugal. Can't wait to hear about it.

Edited by philw1776

I like that because for some reason on Viking there is a mad stampede of starving geezers to the MDR at 7PM. :eek:

All kidding aside it has not presented a problem in access or service, just amusing.

Our longtime travel friends will return from yet another Uniworld cruise this Wednesday. Portugal. Can't wait to hear about it.

Our experience on AMA, which also requires everyone to come to dinner at a fixed time, is that the "stampede" has nothing to do with being hungry but is an effort to make sure you can grab a choice table for your group. Haven't sailed Uniworld, so don't know if their dining room has enough extra tables that late arrivals aren't stuck at the kitchen door... I also wouldn't enjoy having my courses rushed ["Late arrivals will typically be served in a shorter period"] -- leisurely dining enjoying a recap of everyone's day is part of the joy of river cruising for us.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Jazzbeau et al, I think the choice is the great part of Uniworld. There are some days when it's fine to join the stampede at 7, sit with a few others, and have a leisurely dinner with conversation.

There are plenty of days when that is not what we're looking for, and some quiet time to linger with another glass of wine in the bar, with a later dinner time at 8, a table with just the two of us, and a slightly faster pace (still well over an hour, mind you) is exactly the ticket.

When you can have both options, more people are happy.

We (happily) did not find that we got crummy tables off in some forgotten corner by waiting until 8. Though those tables have their advantages...if you want to come to dinner at the opening time, but want to sit alone, grab a table right by the door. Almost always, the crowd passes you by looking for a better table. :)

Jazzbeau et al, I think the choice is the great part of Uniworld. There are some days when it's fine to join the stampede at 7, sit with a few others, and have a leisurely dinner with conversation.

There are plenty of days when that is not what we're looking for, and some quiet time to linger with another glass of wine in the bar, with a later dinner time at 8, a table with just the two of us, and a slightly faster pace (still well over an hour, mind you) is exactly the ticket.

When you can have both options, more people are happy.

We (happily) did not find that we got crummy tables off in some forgotten corner by waiting until 8. Though those tables have their advantages...if you want to come to dinner at the opening time, but want to sit alone, grab a table right by the door. Almost always, the crowd passes you by looking for a better table. :)

We had the same experience and really appreciate the options that Uniworld provided. We prefer to have dinner at 8 or so and were never rushed, put at an inferior table or made to feel that we caused extra work for the crew. It was a highlight of cruising with Uniworld for us.

On our cruise most people were in the dining room by 7pm but of course there were a few that always arrived late which is fine as long as you don't make the wait staff stay longer. I noticed on our cruise there did not appear to be many tables for a party of six so if you meet some people and wanted to dine together you had to get to the dining room by 7pm or the large tables were gone.

We arrived home Sunday from a week on the SS Catherine, Lyon to Marseilles. The ship is in superb shape; it is clean to a fault. The staff are total professionals in every sense and when we had an issue with the makeup mirror in our room it was repaired immediately. The food is superb, and rivals Crystal, Silversea and Regent. We dined Alfresco one evening and enjoyed beef tenderloin and many other well prepared specialties. As the trip is in Burgundy and Provence many dishes and wines of the region are highlighted at each meal. If you prefer Caesar Salad (excellent), steak with a choice of sauces, salmon and chicken are prepared for you. One of the highlights of the cruise is a stop at the tiny town where Valhronna chocolate is manufactured . You will have bowls of chocolates on the dessert area and the best chocolate ice cream ever. By the way if you go the factory you can sample to your hearts' delight. Don't miss the hot chocolate.:)

Tours are from a few hours to a day long. The guides are top notch. If you prefer a more active lifestyle bicycles , and a kayak tour are available.

As for shorts yes a few wore them during the day as it was warm. I never saw shorts in the evening rather a nicely dressed and very interesting well traveled group of passengers.

We have toured with Viking, the original Premicon Queen and Uniworld; there is no comparison IMHO.

Glad to answer any questions.:)

I sailed with Uniworld in Aug from Budapest to Prague. We arrived in Budapest a few days early and I am so glad we did so if you can I would suggest arriving in Prague a few days early helps with the jet lag.

I sailed with Uniworld in Aug from Budapest to Prague. We arrived in Budapest a few days early and I am so glad we did so if you can I would suggest arriving in Prague a few days early helps with the jet lag.

Thanks we will definitely be in Prague a couple of days before the itinerary begins.

Has anyone done the Prague to Budapest direction? How many days in the hotel in Prague is included?

Thanks we will definitely be in Prague a couple of days before the itinerary begins.

Has anyone done the Prague to Budapest direction? How many days in the hotel in Prague is included?

We were in Prague for 2 nights as part of our Danube Discovery and Prague this past May and for 2 nights as part of our Rhine Discovery and Prague last November. The hotel used by Uniworld was the Boscolo. Great hotel, fabulous breakfast. Make sure you get a map from the front desk and if you can pick up a slightly different map from the tourist counter at the airport.

You will have lots of time to do your own thing if your flight gets you to Prague early the first day. That evening there will be short introduction of what is planned for the next day. You are on your own for dinner. The following day there is a tour of the castle complex and a walk down to the Charles bridge and to the astronomical clock. Then you are on your own. The last day will be the transfer to the ship day. You do have time to explore on your own in the morning. Bring some snacks for the bus, it is almost a 4 hour ride with one pit stop.

RB

We are a group of 3 couples heading to Prague on 9/26 and embarking on the Princess on 9/28 in Nuremberg to Budapest. Anyone have dinner suggestions for Prague or Budapest? Was the hotel in Prague out of the way? This our first river cruise and any tips or pointer are appreciated. Viking's website indicates that there may be problems with water levels on the Danube. Did anyone experience a problem recently? Thanks

Thank you Ritabob.

Did you cruise all the way to Budapest?

When you arrive in Budapest do you send the last might on board the boat?

We are thinking to then book a hotel for an additional 3 nights in Budapest.

Any suggestions?

We did not sail all the way to Budapest. This itinerary ended in Vienna, however, two previous cruises did end in Budapest. At that time we did spend the last night aboard. Had very early flights in the morning. There is a lot to see and do in Budapest, so if you do have the time, and the interest, spending extra time there is well worth it.

Which cruise company are you planning on cruising with? Every one uses a different hotel, and I just know about the Boscolo. This hotel is a short walk to Republic Square and then a bit further to Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge. All this is relative only if you don't mind walking on cobblestones.

RB

We are a group of 3 couples heading to Prague on 9/26 and embarking on the Princess on 9/28 in Nuremberg to Budapest. Anyone have dinner suggestions for Prague or Budapest? Was the hotel in Prague out of the way? This our first river cruise and any tips or pointer are appreciated. Viking's website indicates that there may be problems with water levels on the Danube. Did anyone experience a problem recently? Thanks

See previous comment about location of Boscolo in Prague. (used by Uniworld)

As far as low water levels...they can change daily. And every cruise company has ships with different drafts, so where one company has to bus the rest of the way, another can continue the cruise because it does not have ships that sit so low in the river.

RB

Our Uniworld cruise started in Prague at the Imperial Art Deco Hotel, very nice hotel. Our luggage arrived late but it got there! We are foodies (love Joel Robuchon in Paris) but I really need to stay on a gluten free diet. So our meal was at a 100% Gluten Free Restaurant Alriso Risotteria Italiana, it was fantastic by any standards. We loved it so much we went back the next night the pasta was better than the fresh pasta made for me in Bologna a few years ago.

Had a wonderful trip!!!

Second seating