Upsell! Upsell! Upsell!

jollyrhino

The phone calls and messages from the Captains club hostess!

The junk mail !

The photo guys corralling you when you get off the ship!

The bartenders trying to sell you a beverage package!

Stop!!!

Hi Kevin..welcome back to Celebrity :)

I've actually noticed a significant decrease in the junk mail and photo areas. A year ago, we would find paper junk mail on our door every day from the art auction and spa....I'm sure they killed at least three trees just for that cruise. Our last cruise had just one note in the door over the entire cruise. Hopefully that one has been addressed.

I also recall it being very difficult to even board the ship before the photographers took a picture of us in front of whatever...and being blocked by photographers every time I left the ship at a port, etc. That too has gotten significantly better...the photographers now ask and let you pass freely.

No disagreement on the bartender upsells and specialty restaurant sales folks though.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, the captain introduced the head auctioneer at Park West as a ship's officer ..... Sort of sums up their view of how important the revenue producers are....

Edited by ghstudio

If they are prowling the bars and restaurants pushing the specialty restaurants rather than standing behind a table at the entrance to the buffet that usually means their bookings are under-performing. We use that to our advantage and say we will book at 2-for-1 price. We don't always get a "yes" but most of the time we do. Otherwise we reply with a smile and a pleasant "no thank-you". Never an issue after that.

In the scheme of things, upsells on a X cruise are towards the bottom of my list.

I walk by and say "No thank you".

We totally agree, and a polite "No thank you" has always worked for us. By the way, is Celebrity the only cruise line that does this?

not use the public announcement system to upsell like other cruise lines. It is one of the many reasons we like Celebrity and one of the most important ones.

This drove me nuts on Carnival and even using the PA inside the cabin at times.

Edited by minidonuts85

Totally agree! If you are drinking martinis you for sure should upgrade. Martini bar doesn't make mini martinis but I could be wrong. Plus if you have classic Drink pkg anything over allotted amount you pay full price not the difference as you do with the premium package.

I was happy with the classic pkg on my most recent cruise and my DW upgraded to Premium and it was a perfect match.

Enjoy your cruise.

I quietly ignore it and enjoy my cruise.

Look at it this way - all this upselling is revenue for the company and helps keep cruise fares the best travel bargain out there. The people who purchase all these offers are actually helping to subsidize my cruise fare. Thank you.

So I am fine with it! :D

I haven't been bothered by the upsells for drinks or dinners so far. A polite 'no thank you' and a smile usually does it. We'll see if it's different on our upcoming TA. But the PHOTOGRAPHERS!!! On some ports on our TA last year, we would be stopped (or they tried to stop us) up to 5 times from ship to terminal!! It was like running a gauntlet. I walk with a cane and so I'm not too fast, and one time the 'Pirate' wouldn't take a polite no for an answer and actually grabbed me by the shoulders and held on until the photographer snapped a photo. Waaay too aggressive.

A cruise is a pre paid vacation...once on board it should not be a situation where you are aggressively solicited. They do not do that at hotels.

Some are polite and take no for an answer & some do not; and sometimes they swarm an area,....like the peddlars on certain islands, and in Pisa along the entry to the Field of Miracles which we found to be the worst!

Personally I ignore it and enjoy my cruise.:)

Ours must be the 'not buying' sign I have taped to my hat.

Last 3 years on X and wonder why we gave not had this experience on the Reflection or the Equinox? We have no issues with an upsell.

We just got back from a HAL Cruise to Alaska--my first HAL cruise, and I was pleased with how few offers were made on the ship. Bingo was not constantly advertised over the speakers as I have experienced on other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kfkolonel

I have taken advantage of upsells on Flights from Business to First class, in Hotels from regular rooms to palatial suites, and even on cruiseships with dining packages etc. All at a Fraction of the cost it would have cost.

I always listen to the pitch and then see if it holds any benefit. I have nothing to lose by listening. If it doesn't work for me, I enjoy my cruise and let it go....Everybody onboard is doing their job. Cruiselines are profit making entities....it's pretty easy math.

Enjoy and safe sails to all!

Smile an make it a game. You're on vaca...

Like bargaining for things in 3rd world countries! As long as you do it with a smile... They just walk away. Example... Upgrade beverage package? Ok. For $3/day instead of $10 .. They'll just walk away because they don't have that authority. 2 for 1 specialty dining?.. Propose it All the time! 2 for 1 excusions, etc. they'll run away from you soon enough. Smiling helps get the anger down. Whether I am bargaining for a shirt or an upgrade... I do it all the time and make it fun! :D

I have taken advantage of upsells on Flights from Business to First class, in Hotels from regular rooms to palatial suites, and even on cruiseships with dining packages etc. All at a Fraction of the cost it would have cost.

I always listen to the pitch and then see if it holds any benefit. I have nothing to lose by listening. If it doesn't work for me, I enjoy my cruise and let it go....Everybody onboard is doing their job. Cruiselines are profit making entities....it's pretty easy math.

Enjoy and safe sails to all!

Great approach, thank you ce....

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I have not really had a problem with up sells on Celebrity. I usually just smile, say 'No Thanks' and move on. Photographers seemed to be much less intrusive on our last few cruises, thank goodness!

I don't go to the martini bar, the spa or the gym, so maybe I am not the target market for up sells. Once in a while we will take advantage of a 2 for 1 deal in a specialty restaurant, but find the deals are usually better if we wait for the waiter to come around the lounge or buffet. We feel as though they are desperate to fill their tables when they walk around touting for customers.

Incidentally, we had theatre tickets on Sunday. On Saturday evening I received an email offering to upgrade our seats for $5 each. We have booked tickets for this company many times before and never had an offer like that. We liked the seats we had booked, so ignored the offer. Up selling is spreading!

^^^^THIS^^^^

It isn't complicated or annoying unless you want it to be.

I am going to bet that you have never been on a cruise where this is a problem for you to say that.

We've been on over 20 Celebrity cruises. The vast majority (especially in years past) I would have said exactly what you said.

However, there have been a couple, which some have related above, that it is a real problem. Have you come out of the Celebrity theater when 6 or 7 salespeople are waiting for you, basically in both aisles, huckstering their goods? Honestly, they make the photographers on the gangway look like total rank amateurs. You either alter your path (they won't move) or listen to their spiel. Have you been at the Elite Captains Club evening event, in mid-conversation, when you are interrupted for a sales pitch for a Specialty Restaurant?

I really do think that it has to do with the quality--and ability--of the marketing manager onboard. A capable one, who can motivate the troops, no problem. A ham-handed one, who has the employees cowering in fear (and we've had more than one that has told us that happened), and you get the total disregard for the pax experience. There, it is all about the numbers, not satisfaction of the guest.

....Have you come out of the Celebrity theater when 6 or 7 salespeople are waiting for you, basically in both aisles, huckstering their goods? ....

We've been lucky, perhaps, not to experience this. Perhaps we have that look that says "don't mess with these pair" or maybe we just look like the sort who are broke and penniless

The most frustrating thing about leaving the theatre is usually getting out - it seems the slowest people who are most unable to cope with the walk out of the theatre are usually the first up out of their seats and into the aisle

Edited by DYKWIA

I am going to bet that you have never been on a cruise where this is a problem for you to say that.

We've been on over 20 Celebrity cruises. The vast majority (especially in years past) I would have said exactly what you said.

However, there have been a couple, which some have related above, that it is a real problem. Have you come out of the Celebrity theater when 6 or 7 salespeople are waiting for you, basically in both aisles, huckstering their goods? Honestly, they make the photographers on the gangway look like total rank amateurs. You either alter your path (they won't move) or listen to their spiel. Have you been at the Elite Captains Club evening event, in mid-conversation, when you are interrupted for a sales pitch for a Specialty Restaurant?

I really do think that it has to do with the quality--and ability--of the marketing manager onboard. A capable one, who can motivate the troops, no problem. A ham-handed one, who has the employees cowering in fear (and we've had more than one that has told us that happened), and you get the total disregard for the pax experience. There, it is all about the numbers, not satisfaction of the guest.

What you say can be true on some sailings. However, I usually do what Husky61 does.

We've been lucky, perhaps, not to experience this. Perhaps we have that look that says "don't mess with these pair" or maybe we just look like the sort who are broke and penniless

The most frustrating thing about leaving the theatre is usually getting out - it seems the slowest people who are most unable to cope with the walk out of the theatre are usually the first up out of their seats and into the aisle

That may be due to the fact that they are seated in the rear, where the mobility challenged sit. Life's too short, don't sweat the small stuff. Besides, you may be needing that seating someday.

I think they must already know us when we take a cruise...our last cruise our on board bill was $0.00.

I usually politely tell the first couple of specialty restaurant sellers no thank you...but after that I just walk past them...You just can't hesitate while you are walking...they can see fear in your eyes and are then ready to pounce.