Labadee questions (re shade)

We have not been to Labadee for many many years but will be visiting over the Christmas holidays this year on Allure.

Since my last visit I have been diagnosed with melanoma (all clear now) but it does mean I have to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

We don't really want to book a cabana so what other options are available to us. Are there beaches with umbrellas we can use? Ideally we would like something quite idyllic, quiet and sandy but knowing its a Christmas cruise there will be lots and lots of children....

Any thoughts?

When you get off the ship, keep veering right (walk past the building with the market and all the vendors at the top of the hill). Keep walking as far as you can and you will arrive at a fairly quiet beach that, if I remember correctly, has a fair bit of shade. It's on the side of the property with the jet skis and you should be able to see the ship from there. It's our favorite spot as the water is quiet with no waves and rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The crew pulling out and setting up the loungers are usually locals. Your sea

pass card will not work for them to add on tips.

It is a nice thing to tip those who set those loungers up for you, so if you

do want to tip them, you will need a few bucks in cash. Just ask them to

set you up in the shade. Going early is a good idea also, since those shady

areas under the palm trees go fast.

So sorry to hear about your bout with melanoma, but happy to hear you

are cleared up now. I am nursing my wound and stitches on my shoulder

as I type. Ouch....but fortunately not melanoma, just Basal.

Edited by island lady

my husband also has to have shade. In the past have always gone to Columbus cove. Must have been some shade.

Has anyone rented the beach lounger for two on the other side of the island. Would like to know pros and cons for that location. Is it worth $35?

We do this all the time on Princess Cay with the Princess line so I guess price is not that important if location is good. Thanks, Fran

I know everyone always says - oh it's never a problem to find shade, but this has not been our experience. I put shade in the same category as chair hogs. People get off the ship at o'dark thirty to set up in the shade for their family of 7. Or the shade areas are so crowded because of people trying to find some, that it's not very relaxing. I opted for one of the $35 cabinettes to guarantee us some shade since have both had melanoma issues.

my husband also has to have shade. In the past have always gone to Columbus cove. Must have been some shade.

Has anyone rented the beach lounger for two on the other side of the island. Would like to know pros and cons for that location. Is it worth $35?

We do this all the time on Princess Cay with the Princess line so I guess price is not that important if location is good. Thanks, Fran

Labadee is not an island, but instead a spit of land attached to the north side

of Haiti. The "other side" is more windward, but also has a nicer breeze and

a more dramatic view.

The price of renting equipment is, of course, personal. Depends on how active you

are. If you are there to spend most of the time at the beach and in your lounger,

it is not a bad price. We are too active to stay put and like to get in a nice walk and

explore. The lounger would be a waste of money for us.

Just returned from the Allure yesterday. We were able to have loungers placed under some nice shade trees just before the section of the beach with the loungers for two. The loungers and sunshades were in a roped-off area and seemed nice, except that they weren't placed in staggered rows. Only those seated in the front row had a view of the water while those seated in the remaining rows were staring at the back of a sunshade. I was glad I hadn't paid $49 (the pre-cruise price offered on the RCI web page) to look at a blue-and-white striped sunshade!

I was just at Labadee a few weeks ago. There was plenty of shade from trees at Columbus Cove. Once you take the ferry there, just keep walking the path, go past the bathrooms, and then you'll see plenty of trees that offer all the shade you could want.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Can someone tell me if you need to pay to use a lounger chair? It sounds like the cabanas and the loungers with shades are chargeable. If you are in a suite it sounds like there is a separate beach: barefoot beach. Does anyone know if there are loungers to sit on? Do you need to pay to use them? Can you drink the water? I understand the food is brought from the ship Are the drinks from the ship also? If you need to buy bottled water, what is the cost. Use the ice in drinks?

Thanks for helping me

Carla

I think they chairs are still free, but we usually tip the guys that help us set them up. I don't know what the water costs, but the drinks are similar to the price on the ship, only more limited. Sometimes they have a good deal on Labadoozies (sp?)

Tom

Hi,

Can someone tell me if you need to pay to use a lounger chair? It sounds like the cabanas and the loungers with shades are chargeable. If you are in a suite it sounds like there is a separate beach: barefoot beach. Does anyone know if there are loungers to sit on? Do you need to pay to use them? Can you drink the water? I understand the food is brought from the ship Are the drinks from the ship also? If you need to buy bottled water, what is the cost. Use the ice in drinks?

Thanks for helping me

Carla

The workers at the island set up loungers and an umbrella for us upon request.

Umbrellas? Unless something has changed there are no umbrellas there. You can get a clamshell but our experience is they are really hot with no air circulation. We always just set up under a section of palm trees since we quit renting cabanas after the prices went through the roof.

Edited by BND

So sorry to hear about your bout with melanoma, but happy to hear you

are cleared up now. I am nursing my wound and stitches on my shoulder

as I type. Ouch....but fortunately not melanoma, just Basal.

Glad you are OK. I had my bout with melanoma a couple of years ago and we do cabanas for that reason.

We did notice clamshells on our last visit to Labadee Those sound like a safe bet when getting out of the sun is the only option. Don't know the cost though.

Hi,

Thanks for helping me

Carla

Many of the loungers on Barefoot Beach are prepositioned in the shade. There is no charge but the Haitian attendants work for tips if they provide a service.

Thanks for the great information. I have a family member who lives in the Fort Lauderdale area. They suggested we bring our own beach umbrella and set it up on the beach. I bet I'd really get some strange looks. Does anyone know if you can bring your own water bottle off the ship while in the ports- filled with water of course I always travel with water in the car. It gets so warm while running errands in Texas.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Carla

Glad you are OK. I had my bout with melanoma a couple of years ago and we do cabanas for that reason.

We did notice clamshells on our last visit to Labadee Those sound like a safe bet when getting out of the sun is the only option. Don't know the cost though.

Oh Ian, I am so sorry to hear you had Melanoma! I always dread when they

call me to tell me after a biopsy that I have to go in for a "cut up"....but so far

have been lucky and it has been the more tame Basil verus the Melanoma.

I hope you are all clear now, and get to stay that way! :)

Thanks for the great information. I have a family member who lives in the Fort Lauderdale area. They suggested we bring our own beach umbrella and set it up on the beach. I bet I'd really get some strange looks. Does anyone know if you can bring your own water bottle off the ship while in the ports- filled with water of course I always travel with water in the car. It gets so warm while running errands in Texas.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Carla

Yes, no problem. We usually take a small backpack on shore excursions or

even just a day of walking around. Always toss a full bottle of water in the

little bag. :)