Being cheap this cruise

lbfluffy

I don't equate booking an inside cabin as being cheap. I only say this based on the title of this thread you started. If you consider yourself cheap for booking an inside cabin that your opinion. When we have ever booked an inside cabin we don't consider ourselves to be cheap. I guess to each their own.

I think this was said a little tongue-in-cheek. :)

I tend to be a balcony person, but last summer decided that it was worth taking a trip to alaska in an obstructed ocean view (porthole) room. Ended up getting an upgrade offer to a (technically) obstructed balcony on the second leg of that one that was worth taking. I did find that the ov was a lot better than I expected it would be, although the fact that it was a small ship helped a lot, plus a lot of time on deck since it was alaska. I do tend to like to go back to my room in the evening and read on the balcony, so I miss that with not having the balcony. I've done an inside on a very short cruise, and I honestly don't know if I want to do that again.

That said, some of the cruises I've booked, I didn't feel that there was enough of a savings to go down a category of rooms that it was worth losing the balcony over.

My upcoming Christmas cruise on Ruby Princess will be my 45th cruise...on 8 different cruise lines...

We have sailed in everything from inside cabins up to major multi-room suites. To be completely honest, I do prefer a balcony cabin. On many ships, the balcony cabins are a little larger than the inside cabins...but, for the most part, the nice advantages are that, with the large window/door, the room feels a lot bigger...and having that door gives you the ability to walk outside directly from your cabin...more space, more convenient, fresh air, nice views, etc.

That said, I still sometimes don't book a balcony...

On my next four cruises, I'm going from an inside cabin on the Ruby Princess to an oversized "hump" balcony on my back-to-backs on Jewel of the Seas to an OV on the HAL Maasdam...Why?

Because, even though I can afford to go upscale on every cruise if I want, I still enjoy getting value for my money...So, every booking, I make the same calculation: What is the premium I have to pay to go to the next level? If the additional price is quite small, I will often move up a level...If it's a lot of money comparatively, I ask myself what I'm really getting for that money and what else can I do with it?

For the Ruby, I originally booked a balcony guarantee...But my wife, I guess realizing that we have a lot of money wrapped up in our upcoming cruises over the next 10 months, asked me to be more frugal...The price differential between the Inside guarantee and the balcony was about $550...For only 8 nights--in December when the outside weather might not even be good enough to really enjoy that balcony, she suggested we could do with an inside...Figure rather than paying an extra $70 per day for the balcony, we could just go out and about the ship...

So, we switched to an Inside guarantee...and got our cabin assigned rather quickly--what we got was an IA--midship Aloha deck...I was hoping for more of an upgrade. Last time we did this, we got assigned an unobstructed OV...But, for what we're paying, I will be just fine with that IA...We'll just use the cabin to sleep and change clothes...and, after all, ALL of the cabins, regardless of category, get to go to the same ports, eat the same food, see the same entertainment, etc. We'll use that $550 for our shore excursions and gratuities...

BTW, the old trick is that, if you really want to see what it's like outside, every ship has a TV channel that constantly shows the outside closed circuit camera feed...Just leave your TV on playing that station...It's your virtual window...

First time in over 20 years we booked an inside cabin. We've been to the Mexican Riviera quite a bit so we opted to purchase the least expensive guarantee. We are saving for our Hawaii land vacation next year. This should be interesting. Still waiting on cabin assignment.

I'm not a cheapskate, but I'm seriously claustrophobic. Besides I like to get up when the sun rises. :). So it's an outside or balcony cabin foe me. That's just me, though.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Report back your first time experience in an inside cabin.

The way to prevent getting a "head banger" is to check out Cruise Critic's deck plans before you choose a cabin. If it has a red dot, don't pick it. Easy Peasy.

Thank you! I immediately checked it out to look up our upcoming inside cabin on the Regal... all is well. :-)

One nice thing about insides is that you have complete darkness to sleep (something I find super comforting) and I also found the room was consistently colder than the balcony rooms I've had. I think part of that was because I was next door to people who were constantly propping their door open and going in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time in over 20 years we booked an inside cabin. We've been to the Mexican Riviera quite a bit so we opted to purchase the least expensive guarantee. We are saving for our Hawaii land vacation next year. This should be interesting. Still waiting on cabin assignment.

After many balcony rooms we've switched to inside cabins. Same overall amenities(well, minus the view)as a standard cabin.

One nice thing about insides is that you have complete darkness to sleep (something I find super comforting)

I also love complete darkness for sleeping, and hoped to have it in my inside cabin on the Ruby. While I did love the cabin, we had way too much light showing around the cabin door to the hall. So I guess not ALL insides are very dark. Ours sure was not.

Edited by stoneharborlady

for us we decided that for New England itinerary, with just one sea day- (hopefully no missed ports due to bad weather) a sideways inside should be sufficient for the two of us on the Regal. We put the dollar difference for balcony or mini suite towards a carribean cruise in Feb---on that ship we booked a small window cabin- because we are only on that cruise for snorkeling-- and the $1200 or so that we are saving from the Regal cruise- paid for 2/3 of the carribean one! Unless it is a really long cruise, for us we will book the cabin that makes the most sense for us on a particular itinerary.

I will review the New England cruise on the Regal and what it was like for people who have always booked balconies and mini suites!

One nice thing about insides is that you have complete darkness to sleep (something I find super comforting)

I also love complete darkness for sleeping, and hoped to have it in my inside cabin on the Ruby. While I did love the cabin, we had way too much light showing around the cabin door to the hall. So I guess not ALL insides are very dark. Ours sure was not.

You can try rolling the bathmat towel and pushing it up against the door to keep the hallway light out. My greatest problem with light, no matter what type of cabin we are in, is the bright red light on the tv and/or the green light on the A/C thermostat. I know it's being rather fussy but they drive me nutters if I forget to cover them before we go to bed. :D

You can try rolling the bathmat towel and pushing it up against the door to keep the hallway light out. My greatest problem with light, no matter what type of cabin we are in, is the bright red light on the tv and/or the green light on the A/C thermostat. I know it's being rather fussy but they drive me nutters if I forget to cover them before we go to bed. :D

Have you considered to always bring a roll of gaffers tape with you? Many uses, including taping up the red light on TV, green light on AC thermostat, blinking red message light on phone, and taping the night light for the bathroom. And, when you retire for the night each evening, you can tape the gap around the door way, keeping the stray light from bothering you. Gaffers tape may come in handy on board for other uses as well.

That is what a PAX I met on a cruise shared with me, as she needed to have absolute total darkness in order to sleep. She always books an inside cabin.

Good luck, and happy sailing.

for us we decided that for New England itinerary, with just one sea day- (hopefully no missed ports due to bad weather) a sideways inside should be sufficient for the two of us on the Regal. We put the dollar difference for balcony or mini suite towards a carribean cruise in Feb---on that ship we booked a small window cabin- because we are only on that cruise for snorkeling-- and the $1200 or so that we are saving from the Regal cruise- paid for 2/3 of the carribean one! Unless it is a really long cruise, for us we will book the cabin that makes the most sense for us on a particular itinerary.

I will review the New England cruise on the Regal and what it was like for people who have always booked balconies and mini suites!

That made a lot of sense. I would have done the same thing.

DH would be fine in an inside all the time. I am fine with it but love balconies! Our deal is that we always do a balcony in the Caribbean. For other destinations, it comes down to the price, The weather and the number of Sea days. I love Upsells because The value is there for a better stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My friend has cruised 135 times with Princess and he toled me he saved about $80K by just booking inside cabins. Almost every cruise I've been on with him he was the MTP. He said he saved about $600. per cruise X 135 = 81K. :eek:

If you have cruise in the winter with Princess. I think you have seen him and his wife. He loves the Caribean.

Tony