Being cheap this cruise

lbfluffy

First time in over 20 years we booked an inside cabin. We've been to the Mexican Riviera quite a bit so we opted to purchase the least expensive guarantee. We are saving for our Hawaii land vacation next year. This should be interesting. Still waiting on cabin assignment.

I've sailed in decreasingly priced cabins - started in a mini, next cruise was a balcony, then in an inside. I equally enjoyed each one :-) my next cruise is a balcony (honeymoon and sip and sail made it too good to pass up!) but I would have no hesitation sailing an inside again especially if it allows me to travel more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved my inside cabin on Ruby. Every bit as much as I loved my mini suite first cruise and my outside cabin on the second cruise. And there were three of us in it. Never had a complaint about it, it was more than sufficient, and I would do it again next time.

Edited by stoneharborlady

I agree with the others, the vast majority of my cruises have been inside cabins and it didn't affect my enjoyment at all. However, I have found with experience and getting smarter I can get a "Better" cabin at a reduced rate. Our upcoming cruise I managed to book during a Flash Sale and got an obstructed balcony guarantee for the same price as an interior. Finally got our cabin assignment yesterday (Two weeks until sail date) and we got upgraded to a deluxe balcony (Obstructed).

Never really remember the cabin that much. It's the memories of the fun I have with my husband either on board, or in the ports.

Exactly. I'm fine in an inside, but then there are the pleas for some natural light. I just completed 20 nights in an inside cabin. We'd booked an inside for the first leg and an inside for the second. Then Princess called with an amazing offer if we would move down to an inside for the first leg so I took it.

By booking an inside, you greatly increase your chances of an upgrade or an upsell. And you are able to do more cruises. The artificial lighting in the inside cabins is quite good and as others have noted, you're not likely to spend a lot of time in your cabin.

Enjoy!

Exactly. I'm fine in an inside' date=' but then there are the pleas for some natural light. I just completed 20 nights in an inside cabin. We'd booked an [b']inside[/b] for the first leg and an inside for the second. Then Princess called with an amazing offer if we would move down to an inside for the first leg so I took it.

By booking an inside, you greatly increase your chances of an upgrade or an upsell. And you are able to do more cruises. The artificial lighting in the inside cabins is quite good and as others have noted, you're not likely to spend a lot of time in your cabin.

Enjoy!

IMWTK...what did you book for the first leg??

First time in over 20 years we booked an inside cabin. We've been to the Mexican Riviera quite a bit so we opted to purchase the least expensive guarantee. We are saving for our Hawaii land vacation next year. This should be interesting. Still waiting on cabin assignment.

The first time we booked an inside after being in all other categories except for suites was an inside guarantee.

We learned not to do that again.

DH is 6'2" and the cabin we got assigned had the dreaded bunk beds. We like our bed in the queen config and quickly renamed the bunk beds...Head Knockers.:eek:

I'm 5'4" and I even had to be careful moving around the bed. DH hit his head at least once a day.

We still book insides, but no more guarantees.

Good luck. Hope you get a better one than we did.

As a solo traveler I am ok with an inside...but I often find it's not that much of a cost savings for me, so I book an OV...I do prefer the natural light & knowing what the weather is like before getting dressed...cabin of choice is a balcony...but if the price is to much I'll book whatever I need to in order to get on the ship...:)

Edited by kc320

We spent a lot of time in our cabin, do both breakfast and lunch in the cabin on the balcony if weather permits... so always book a mini... did an ocean view when a balcony was not available... it did force us out of the cabin more... love that fresh air.

We like peace and quiet too, so that is another reason for us to book a cabin we will enjoy a lot.

I am sure an inside would be good too if that was our only choice... enjoy your cruise.

IMWTK...what did you book for the first leg??

Sorry--booked a balcony for first leg, inside for second and waitlisted for balcony on second (they were sold out). Then we got the call offering a really good deal for dropping down to an inside for the first leg. I said OK if we could stay in the same cabin for both. They were able to arrange that, so we went for it.

As a solo traveler I am ok with an inside...but I often find it's not that much of a cost savings for me, so I book an OV...I do prefer the natural light & knowing what the weather is like before getting dressed...cabin of choice is a balcony...but if the price is to much I'll book whatever I need to in order to get on the ship...:)

I really don't care what class of cabin I'm in when traveling solo. I have the whole bathroom and cabin all to myself which is wonderful! An inside is perfectly adequate. A balcony cabin is nice, but not a necessity. When DH travels, it's a very different thing. He has to have a balcony at the least or feels claustrophobic.

One thing about the Oceanview cabins - keep your curtains closed when you're not "presentable". I had crew members working on the lifeboats right outside my window for many hours. It was a bit shocking to look out and see them looking right in!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

i need the natural light. the inside was ok while our night light worked, but i forgot more batteries and the last 2 nights were problematic for me. complete suffocating darkness is not my cup of tea. insides are ok if you don't need the natural light. at a minimum i prefer a window.

i have a balcony booked this time because my last cruise with a balcony i got a migraine and sick form the storm we sailed through. the seas were so rough. i don't normally get seasick, but with the migraine i was a gonner.

hoping for smooth sails and enjoying the balcony this time. work has been stressful, so this was a splurge.

in any case, enjoy your cruise! that is the important thing.

We always get Inside comp, and I pay upgrade to OV or Balc.

This is our First time, taking the Inside & keeping it.;)

I really don't care what class of cabin I'm in when traveling solo. I have the whole bathroom and cabin all to myself which is wonderful! An inside is perfectly adequate. A balcony cabin is nice, but not a necessity. When DH travels, it's a very different thing. He has to have a balcony at the least or feels claustrophobic.

One thing about the Oceanview cabins - keep your curtains closed when you're not "presentable". I had crew members working on the lifeboats right outside my window for many hours. It was a bit shocking to look out and see them looking right in!

Yeah, Pescado Amarillo told a funny story in her blog when they were doing the B2B2B2B... in Tahiti last year. OV, curtains open, shower time :D Hopped out of the shower in the "all together" and walked into the cabin to get dressed. Yup, crew working right outside the window.:o

Edited by JF - retired RRT

The last two times I booked the cheapest inside cabins it didn't work out as expected. On one I was upgraded to a Handicapped Accessible Caribe Deck Balcony (!!!) and the next time I was offered a very nice upsell to a window mini suite. Our first cruise was a high up, far forward, lowest category inside on Sea Princess. Nowthat was a tiny cabin! Far smaller than an inside on the Grand Class or newer. Despite the lack of natural light and the massive motion (the first night and the next day we had a storm) this was the cruise that got us hooked. Our next two cruises are booked in balcony cabins but that was specifically to get the included AIBP.

There's nothing at all wrong with an inside cabin. I do like the natural light but I will book insides sometimes in the future although I don't count on getting fantastic upgrades or upsell offers. :)

Edited by Thrak

After we sailed in our first balcony cabin, DH said he couldn't go back to an outside cabin. So I booked us an inside. He now appreciates even obstructed view cabins. The money we saved on that cruise was enough to cover all our expenses--flights, tips, onboard spending, and excursions.

Now that DH has retired, we'll probably go back to inside cabins more often. I figure it's better to take five or six cruises in inside cabins than two or three in balcony cabins.

Thanks for that heads up...I have an obstructed OV on the Grand in a couple weeks...would hate to give the crew a "show"...

Me, I am another who likes inside cabins. However, She who must be obeyed does not like them.

So, upon deep reflection, I have decided that an Ocean View, a balcony, a mini suite, or full suite is just what I want depending on the price that we can get.:D

Bob

Back when our girls were still cruising with us on Princess (their favorite cruise line), we booked them inside cabins but not guarantees because we wanted to make sure they were across the hall from us.

Their insides were always nice with ample room for two. :)

In general, I believe the relationship between the amount spent on a cabin and how much one enjoys the cruise is nonlinear. For me, it's been essentially random. DH, on the other hand, prefers at least natural light, but he also finds cabin type to account for a small part of the total cruise enjoyment. Especially since Princess decided to provide uncomfortable balcony furniture.

This relationship really is counterintuitive, and we did not predict this, but it has held true for us. We certainly have not enjoyed cruises twice as much when we spent twice as much on the cabin.

We do find that we spend more time in a balcony or mini-suite cabin than we do in an ocean view or inside, but this doesn't affect our overall enjoyment of the cruise very much. It probably would on the Regal/Royal where there is no decent outside promenad, so if we ever sail on one of these (which I do not plan to), we will probably book a balcony.

Edited by Loreni