Noumea Friendliness

I don't know how many of you have been to Noumea lately but I notice on another thread just how many people would rather stay on board whilst the ship docks in Noumea and I make no apology, I loathe the place.

I will only get off the ship in Noumea if we are travelling with friends who are visiting for the first time. This happened on the TP in April on the Explorer and what a difference.

The people were so friendly. Tooting their horns and waving whenever a cruiseship tour went by. We took our US friends on the little train and as we went past the school, all the kids came out to the fence and waved and yelled "Welcome".

So, the Nickel Mines are almost gone and they all of a sudden need the previously hated cruiseship passengers. Well sorry Noumea, I ain't buying. Even if we have friends travelling with us in future, we will be staying on board.

Cheers

Di

I don't know how many of you have been to Noumea lately but I notice on another thread just how many people would rather stay on board whilst the ship docks in Noumea and I make no apology, I loathe the place.

I will only get off the ship in Noumea if we are travelling with friends who are visiting for the first time. This happened on the TP in April on the Explorer and what a difference.

The people were so friendly. Tooting their horns and waving whenever a cruiseship tour went by. We took our US friends on the little train and as we went past the school, all the kids came out to the fence and waved and yelled "Welcome".

So, the Nickel Mines are almost gone and they all of a sudden need the previously hated cruiseship passengers. Well sorry Noumea, I ain't buying. Even if we have friends travelling with us in future, we will be staying on board.

Cheers

Di

Interesting comment. I don't doubt what you say, but we have only experienced the total indifference of the French residents and the shy disinterest of the Kanaks.

We've had the opposite experience, found the locals very friendly and helpful on both our visits there. One lady went out of her way to help direct us to a store we were looking for - she asked us if we needed help, we didn't ask her.

When we go into shops we do exactly as we do when in France, we say "Bonjour Madame" or "Bonjour Monsieur". That's about the limit of my French but DH can speak a little more. We don't assume they speak English, although many do, of course.

We also don't assume they will take AUD. In fact the lady at the cafe at the terminal looked like she was going to hug me when I offered francs for our purchase.

We don't expect Noumea to be a slick tourist resort. It is the major town of an island nation with European ties. It's a business town, a town for locals to shop in, and also a tourist destination, with a complex cultural background. We like it for what it is, not what we think it should be.

Our experience aligns much more closely to OzKiwiJJ than the others.

I often have read about cruisers hating Noumea, saying the locals are rude, the town is horrible & they would rather be anywhere else than Noumea, and in future they will stay on board. Many of these had just walked around in the immediate vicinity of the port & then impugn a whole nation based on that. Maybe get off at White Bay or the Grain Terminal for the day and then form a view on Australia based on that :eek:

We have had port days in Noumea 4 times so far. The first two visits we did 'ship excursions', got to see them main town and surrounding area sights & everyone we came in contact with were very friendly & helpful.

The last 2 times we took the HOHO bus, buying tickets from the terminal stall, did a loop and then got of at beautiful Lemon Bay, swam & relaxed & then adjourned across the road for a very pleasant drink and light lunch. Lovely views and friendly pleasant people. I actually sat there and said to our companions "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?" I must say as I sat there, I thought how lucky I was to be able to experience French Polynesia.

The didn't have much English & we had zero French, which made for some interesting communication, including trying to order our drinks & food & getting the password for the free Wi-Fi in the bar :D Also interesting when we came to pay as we didn't have local currency, but we made it work.

We even visited the local supermarket and that was fine also.

We have two more port day visits to Noumea coming up in next few months. We look forward to visiting there.

Stay on the ship and enjoy your 'visit' to Noumea. Sometimes people receive the reception they seek.

Viva la différence.

Happy cruising.

I'm about to go to Noumea and will be going with an open mind. I personally can't wait to go as it looks like a great place to explore. I love to see different cultures and how they live. From what I've read, people are friendlier if you at least try to communicate with them in french. Lets see how far my grade 8 french gets me!..:D

We enjoy Noumea too. Last time we visited we had a lovely lunch of french food, drank drink some local beer and took the ferry over to Duck Island for snorkelling.

I think perhaps the difference is in how you approach it; a "Bonjour Madame" and "parlez-vous anglais" before you start speaking english goes a very long way.

I have never been to a cruise ship port yet where I had wished I had stayed on the ship :)

First time I went to Noumea I wasn't a fan. It was a Public Holiday and nothing was open. None of the ship excursions interested us so we left disappointed.

The next time (10 years later) was a different story. We took the $5 bus to Lemon Bay for a swim with a nice lunch in a restaurant along there. Everyone was friendly and we had no problems communicating. I would very happily return.

I don't mind the place; find the usual mix of people but for example wouldn't say it's less friendly than Australia. If you're friendly to people, they will be back. Local merchants have always been friendly, which is to be expected. But have had good experiences with strangers around the place for years too.

I find that the way you engage someone is the way that the person will engage you back. On 3 visits to noumea i have had nothing but friendliness, including laughter with a stall holder over my terrible high school french. Remembering that the locals are people too and speaking to them in that manner rather than people who are only there to serve you will always get you a better response. Go in with a positive attitude and you will have a posiitve experience!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

It's been a fair while since I have been to Noumea (and that was a land based holiday) and like most of the responses here we found the city fine. A bit of tortured French on my part and having the right currency go a long way IMO.

For those who don't like the place, that's fine, stay on the ship as you wish but many others do not seem to share your view of the port.

OzKiwiJJ and Mr Walker seem to sum up the place well, especially the comment about walking around White Bay or the Grain Terminal :)

Edited by Aussieflyer

I personally don't understand how or why people would rather stay on the ship than go ashore and explore, to me that's the whole point in going on a cruise. Sure you may get people who are difficult to deal with but that is life, it can happen in port, on board or at home. My philosophy is treat people politely and with respect. More often than not you get it in return and that applies no matter where you are.

I personally don't understand how or why people would rather stay on the ship than go ashore and explore, to me that's the whole point in going on a cruise. Sure you may get people who are difficult to deal with but that is life, it can happen in port, on board or at home. My philosophy is treat people politely and with respect. More often than not you get it in return and that applies no matter where you are.

Agreed,

:D

Well I liked the port last year, but yeah - the Frenchies aren't exactly noted for hospitality huh?

I think this is a hangover from earlier times when tourism was first really starting to take off (cheaper flights and such) and it was mainly portrayed by the English tourist.

Really?? And how much travelling have you done in francophone countries I wonder?

I have been to France and also to quite a few countries where French is the official language. I have noticed no difference in politeness or hospitality to any other country whether it is English, Spanish or another language.

Actually we did have an interesting experience at a restaurant in Paris once. Initially the service was polite but a little aloof, however once they realised we were Australian they really made us feel special. We had an amazing meal, and they gave us a copy of the menu and a small gift (pen and ink sketch of Notre Dame) when we left.

Actually we did have an interesting experience at a restaurant in Paris once. Initially the service was polite but a little aloof, however once they realised we were Australian they really made us feel special. We had an amazing meal, and they gave us a copy of the menu and a small gift (pen and ink sketch of Notre Dame) when we left.

Perhaps there still is some reservations by the French against certain nationalities (English / American) I don't know for sure but as an Aussie, I have found most countries love us and our money.:cool:

Have been to Noumea many times, some not so friendly locals, most lovely. But hey you get that everywhere. As other posters have said it is all about attitude. My daughter had a flaming argument with a lady who refused to let her use the restaurant toilet, we had eaten there, because she was a tourist. Another time we were booked to go on the little train and it was cancelled due to not enough passengers, gave us our money back and in passing I mentioned how much I had been looking forward to see the lights from the lookout. The owner organised a bus, normal sized big bus, a guide, driver and took the two of us to the lookout for a twenty minute view of the city at night, WOW.

The cultural centre, the Botanic gardens are all worth seeing, as is Duck island and Lemon Bay Anse Vasta. Lovely restaurants here as well.

Everywhere you go is a bonus and everyone you meet is a chance to leave an impression.

In Sweden earlier this year I was at a shop where the American lady in front of me, said to the assistant, how much is this in US not that other money you people use. She left a lasting impression on me and the shop assistant.

Perhaps there still is some reservations by the French against certain nationalities (English / American) I don't know for sure but as an Aussie, I have found most countries love us and our money.:cool:

Yes, that's what we figured too. ;)

That's funny as the first time we were going to Paris (about 20 yrs ago) we were staying with DH's cousins in the UK. They said how much they liked Paris and France in general except for one thing, it was full of French people. Sums up their attitude really :eek:

Edited by Aussieflyer

And how many of those British or American travellers expect the food in restaurants to be exactly like what they get at home?

We had numerous experiences in restaurants throughout Europe encouraging other tourists sitting near us to try local cuisine. They'd look at what we were eating and say "Oh, that looks nice, what is it, it's not like anything we get at home, I don't know about this foreign food". So we'd ask then what they liked to eat and make a few suggestions. They invariably loved what they ordered. Hopefully they enjoy more of the local cuisine on the rest of their holiday.