9-11

TEXASMUNK

I sailed out of NYC to Bermuda on Carnival on 9/11/2011, the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack.

The ship delayed the departure until 7 PM, sailed slowly down the Hudson and stopped at the WTC for a while. The twin light beams were on. During the stoppage, there was a moment of silence followed by a bagpiper playing. The total silence during a sail away was a simple, but moving tribute.

I sailed out of Cape Liberty on 9/11/2010 (I think - may have been a year earlier or later) and the captain DID observe a moment of silence to honor the victims of that horrible day. Especially touching as the Manhattan skyline was right there in front of us.

A couple of you folks are true low lifes. Snarky, nasty obnoxious people.

Go climb out of your dark corner.

I agree with you I have found that the ignore button is your friend. Can't see one of the posts but my guess is that it is one of the snarky rude posts. That poster has a history of rude, obnoxious posts.

My wife and I were on the Explorer for 9/11/01. We docked in St Thomas that day. We are from NY and when we went into town with our NY Yankee caps on we heard the news. Royal Caribbean handled it great. They helped us contact family back home who were working in the neighboring buildings. Everyone on the ship got very close and everyone supported each other. When the cruise was over on Sat 9/15/16 it was the first day that the airlines were flying. The airport also did a great job. I can not believe how time goes by so quickly. It will be 15 years on Sunday. Everyone stay safe and Happy cruising.

Steve

Medford NY

My wife and I were on the Explorer for 9/11/01. We docked in St Thomas that day. We are from NY and when we went into town with our NY Yankee caps on we heard the news. Royal Caribbean handled it great. They helped us contact family back home who were working in the neighboring buildings. Everyone on the ship got very close and everyone supported each other. When the cruise was over on Sat 9/15/16 it was the first day that the airlines were flying. The airport also did a great job. I can not believe how time goes by so quickly. It will be 15 years on Sunday. Everyone stay safe and Happy cruising.

Steve

Medford NY

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Coming back from our Barcelona TA in 2011, a Sea Day ended up on Nov 11, 2011 and we had our own moment of silence, even though it was the month of Nov, 11th day, year 2011.

I take it you know that was nothing to do with 9-11-

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them."

Armistice Day is commemorated every year on November 11 to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month 1918 ...

I sailed out of NYC to Bermuda on Carnival on 9/11/2011, the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack.

The ship delayed the departure until 7 PM, sailed slowly down the Hudson and stopped at the WTC for a while. The twin light beams were on. During the stoppage, there was a moment of silence followed by a bagpiper playing. The total silence during a sail away was a simple, but moving tribute.

Lovely tribute.

We flew back from the States after our first Royal cruise on the Enchantment the day before the tragedy. We were unpacking at home (UK) when we saw it on television. Such great memories of the holiday and meeting people from the States for the first time but forever in the shadow of the tragedy that enfolded.

The following year I deliberately planned our annual holiday to New York..... can't let them win and had a fantastic time. Not sure why I'm telling you all this, just feel like I want to :(

We were on a cruise from New York on Sept.2, 2001 and returned on Sept. 9....2 days before 9/11. I have a beautiful picture of the Twin Towers that I took while sailing out of New York. The following year, we took another cruise from NY and we happened to be in Sydney, Nova Scotia on Sept. 11, the 1 year anniversary. We were on a bus tour of Sydney and the driver and tour guide stopped the bus and had a moment of silence at the same time the first plane had hit the towers. Very moving and very nice of them to do that. I will never forget it. Here is the picture of the Twin Towers I took 9 days before they fell.

In remembrance:

TWINTOWERS-1.jpg

Gwen :)

We were on a bus tour of Sydney and the driver and tour guide stopped the bus and had a moment of silence at the same time the first plane had hit the towers. Very moving and very nice of them to do that.

Strange you should say that, one of my most vivid memories of our trip to New York the following year was a night bus tour on one of the red tourist buses.

The guide Jimmy (I can still remember his name) spoke so passionately about the events and the will of New Yorkers to rebuild and recover. It had quite an effect on me and my now wife back then.

Last night, I was watching a recap of interviews done outside of one of the recent conventions. The moron they interviewed said he wanted to know ISIS' stance on Global Warming before passing judgment on them.

Yeah.

Unfortunately, those people exist on these boards as well.

Edited by Aquahound

Steve

Medford NY

It was nice how everyone supported everyone else at that time and helped where they could. We were stranded in Canada, we were suppose to fly from Buffalo to LAX that morning. We could see the U.S. but couldn't get there until Thurs. night for our flight home on Friday morning. Our hotel was great and everyone helped everyone. Hope your family was all ok.

It's ignorant people like them, that caused me to leave cc for quite awhile. How can they be so rude? This site is for getting and giving info and to have fun talking about cruising. I don't get it.

It was nice how everyone supported everyone else at that time and helped where they could. We were stranded in Canada, we were suppose to fly from Buffalo to LAX that morning. We could see the U.S. but couldn't get there until Thurs. night for our flight home on Friday morning. Our hotel was great and everyone helped everyone. Hope your family was all ok.

Thank you for your good wishes. We were very fortunate that everyone was ok.

Steve