Anthem eliminates Dynamic Dining

TeeRick

I understand your frustration with the change but you "value the company" yet you're disappointed with the entertainment, sick of the menus, don't want to be trapped in the same venue for 10 nights, etc. Really seems like you would do better to jump ship and try something new.

The menus that have been posted here do have some of the items that were on Anthem this past week when we sailed. They do also have some of the same items we have seen for years on the other ships we have sailed. We are glad we got to try Dynamic Dining but we weren't overly impressed with what we saw. Silk was not great, worst service we have had in a long time and food was ok. We also went to Grande, American Icon and Chic. None of them really blew us away. Yes, they had some different things but not as many differences as I had seen on the menus posted from earlier in the year.

We really enjoyed Jamie's and went back for lunch our last day because it was so good.

Don't set yourself up for a frustrating vacation, if there is that much that you think you will not like, cut your losses now. Breakaway seems like a great ship to try too.

Everyone's opinion of food is different. It's very subjective. For instance, we loved all the food in the 4 restaurants. Jamies my least favorite but I may give them another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone's opinion of food is different. It's very subjective. For instance, we loved all the food in the 4 restaurants. Jamies my least favorite but I may give them another try.

Yes, it is subjective. Our night in Jamie's was after our terrible night in Silk. Our waitress in Jamie's. Rim was her name, was excellent. She made us a combo plank, instead of the meat or vege plank. She offered pasta to be made as small sides for us to try since we were getting the eggplant for our main course. She really worked to customize exactly what we wanted. The only thing that disappointed was the caprese risotto, it was like rice floating in tomato soup.

Which cruise are you on? Our final payment for ours was last week and this was announced day after our final payment was due. If they make changes my thoughts are they shouldn't be after final payment when people can't cancel. Our cruise is 11/27 which is the effective date of the change.

I'm guessing that you didn't book directly through RC. I'm on the same 11/27cruise and my final payments aren't until 09/13. It does appear that RC did try to give a little heads up to their actual final payment date. Albeit not much time, I did want to bring up that point. This would probably be a extra point in the Pros column for booking directly with RC.

That being said, I was looking forward to trying out Dynamic Classic. It has been a little while since my last cruise, in which they just implemented new features to the drink package. It wasn't the greatest experience, but you can quickly learn how to make the situation work for you. The people working on the ship generally want to make you experience the best that it can be, so don't be afraid to ask for variations to a menu. When there was an escargot shortage, I eventually got the attention of the head chef and asked if they could do a similar appetizer using baby mushrooms (It's really all about the delicious garlic butter they use). Anyway, he not only made my the adjusted appetizer for my table, they made them available for everyone that wanted them on that sailing. It is just one small example on how they try to accommodate all our wants.

Since this will be the first week of the new dining on the Anthem, I wouldn't be shocked that they will be willing to cook things from the previous menus. If there are dishes that you wanted to try, just ask. If you don't want to be in the same dining room every night, as if they would rotate you through the 2 MTD restaurants. It might even be a good excuse to try a pay restaurant or two. The last cruise I went on, there were people going around the main dining room offering buy one, get one free for Chops. Even if not offered, I have no problem going and asking if they will do the similar deal again. Worst case, they say no. Either way, I will have a wonderful time just being on a cruise. A day cruising is always a better day than working.

I'm guessing that you didn't book directly through RC. I'm on the same 11/27cruise and my final payments aren't until 09/13. It does appear that RC did try to give a little heads up to their actual final payment date. Albeit not much time, I did want to bring up that point. This would probably be a extra point in the Pros column for booking directly with RC.

That being said, I was looking forward to trying out Dynamic Classic. It has been a little while since my last cruise, in which they just implemented new features to the drink package. It wasn't the greatest experience, but you can quickly learn how to make the situation work for you. The people working on the ship generally want to make you experience the best that it can be, so don't be afraid to ask for variations to a menu. When there was an escargot shortage, I eventually got the attention of the head chef and asked if they could do a similar appetizer using baby mushrooms (It's really all about the delicious garlic butter they use). Anyway, he not only made my the adjusted appetizer for my table, they made them available for everyone that wanted them on that sailing. It is just one small example on how they try to accommodate all our wants.

Since this will be the first week of the new dining on the Anthem, I wouldn't be shocked that they will be willing to cook things from the previous menus. If there are dishes that you wanted to try, just ask. If you don't want to be in the same dining room every night, as if they would rotate you through the 2 MTD restaurants. It might even be a good excuse to try a pay restaurant or two. The last cruise I went on, there were people going around the main dining room offering buy one, get one free for Chops. Even if not offered, I have no problem going and asking if they will do the similar deal again. Worst case, they say no. Either way, I will have a wonderful time just being on a cruise. A day cruising is always a better day than working.

We sailed on the Quantum on April 24, 2015 and were kind of upset with the DD because we tried to make reservations on-line at home and kept having trouble, some of them worked okay but some of them kept saying they were completely booked. But once we were on board and went to the Diamond Lounge, we talked with the RCI gal in the lounge and she set us up with all the reservations that we wanted and it worked out great. We had lobster almost every night.

My other thought about it was this - We don't pick a cruise ship for the dining venues but for the ship itself. If the dining meant that much to us we would stay home and pick a restaurant to eat at. I will admit that I do indulge myself of the food and probably eat way more than I ever would at home. This is especially true of breakfast and lunch which I usually eat at the Windjammer, and maybe in the MDR or say 'Johnny Rockets', I'll also do seconds at dinner sometimes. It upsets my wife a bit mainly because I'll put on a few pounds while on the cruise and then I lose it within a week after the cruise.

Now 'Yenom' I have a question for you. When you were on the Grandeur September 1, 2006, was that before or after she got a hole in the Starboard side of the ship?

Jack

The Dining situation sounds like it will go similar to the Princess Grand Class Ships,with 5 formal Dining Restaurants,with only 1 dish,nightly that is different.

I can imagine how it is awful for some?

The worst of the worst for us, in the past RCCL,vessels

We book a full on suite.Invite friends around for a well planned dinner.

Presentation is great with dinning table cloth/set.

Food arrives.A lot of trouble choosing.

Delivered WARM,NOT HOT.

Why don't they deliver, its not heavy and stays hot in the famous American brand,Carlisle Insulated food carriers, of all sizes.

Full on suits are not cheap.

Edited by campingman

The Dining situation sounds like it will go similar to the Princess Grand Class Ships,with 5 formal Dining Restaurants,with only 1 dish,nightly that is different.

I thought Grand Class ships had 3 main dining rooms and that menus were like Royal's on non Quantum Class ship, i.e. Nightly changing menus with some everyday options. Surely they don't serve the same menu, bar 1 dish, every night? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wrote an e-mail to RCCL because of our sailing on Anthem 01-14-2017. She confirmed the change and explained to me that there will be

- Classic 1

- Classic 2 and

- MTD

in one of the complimentary restaurants.

I was also a bit disappointed like others because we were looking forward to try out dynamic dining. But we are so excited because of the caribbean islands and we like Royal Caribbean. So I think it would be a great cruise and I've always liked dining in the MDR. We booked the second seating (Classic 2). Let's see :)

I wrote an e-mail to RCCL because of our sailing on Anthem 01-14-2017. She confirmed the change and explained to me that there will be

- Classic 1

- Classic 2 and

- MTD

in one of the complimentary restaurants.

I was also a bit disappointed like others because we were looking forward to try out dynamic dining. But we are so excited because of the caribbean islands and we like Royal Caribbean. So I think it would be a great cruise and I've always liked dining in the MDR. We booked the second seating (Classic 2). Let's see :)

did you book your dining online or with the person on the phone from Royal Caribbean? I've tried to do it in our reservations and we sail before you...it only shows the specialty dining...thanks

did you book your dining online or with the person on the phone from Royal Caribbean? I've tried to do it in our reservations and we sail before you...it only shows the specialty dining...thanks

I booked it with the person on the phone from Royal Caribbean. The online booking - some weeks ago - didn't show the new possibilities. But I just looked at the homepage of my travel agency. There you could choose now the new options.

I like dressing up and I like the feel like I'm out for dinner it is what I like. Really liked DD so no freestyle is not my thing

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

But would you agree that 95% want it Freestyle? Don't you think 95% or more want to do what they want, when they want, dressed the way they want? People can still dress up all they want.

We spoke to our TA who knows absolutely nothing about the changes. She called RCI twice and got two different pieces of information. She tried to book 10 of us and was informed we can't book anything until they figured it all out. We don't cruise on the anthem until Jan 2 but before we make final payment we want some answers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But would you agree that 95% want it Freestyle? Don't you think 95% or more want to do what they want, when they want, dressed the way they want? People can still dress up all they want.

Not really sure what the question is?

In relation to DD the different menus and themes were generally appealing. Do people like not making advance decisions? Some do yes. Do some like planning to the point of OCD yes yes they do.

I think people like knowing that if they show up at ANY restaurant that they can get in.

That is not the case off ship and isn't the case on ship (with Royal anyway ) certain times and certain restaurants would be busier in DD which is exactly like land restaurants.

I give Royal a lot of credit for listening to their customers. No format is going to please everyone, and I'll admit that I'm biased in thinking Royal has made a good move here because we hated DD when we were on Anthem in February. But really, the feedback has been generally negative, and I think a lot of Royal for listening to it rather than stubbornly sticking with the concept that they had clearly invested time and money promoting.

Not really sure what the question is?

In relation to DD the different menus and themes were generally appealing. Do people like not making advance decisions? Some do yes. Do some like planning to the point of OCD yes yes they do.

I think people like knowing that if they show up at ANY restaurant that they can get in.

That is not the case off ship and isn't the case on ship (with Royal anyway ) certain times and certain restaurants would be busier in DD which is exactly like land restaurants.

No question, just saying people would like a completely freestyle system where they can do what they want, when they want, dressed how they want. Its an easy concept, I like it. I admit I don't know exactly what DD is. I am just saying in general people like to what they want without a lot of strict rules.

No question, just saying people would like a completely freestyle system where they can do what they want, when they want, dressed how they want. Its an easy concept, I like it. I admit I don't know exactly what DD is. I am just saying in general people like to what they want without a lot of strict rules.

When I sailed on NCL Gem, I had a lot of long waits to get in restaurants, and was often sent to a different restaurant because the wait where I wanted to go was over an hour. I wouldn't call that doing what I want, when I want.

I wouldn't say 95%, but yes, a lot of people do like a freestyle concept. I'm sort of in the middle, because I love the MDR, but I'm not opposed to a freestyle concept (I'll admit that my one cruise on NCL did put a bad taste in my mouth for freestyle).

With that said, DD wasn't actually eat when you want, where you want... IMHO, there wasn't enough capacity in the 4 main restaurants to allow a truly freestyle concept to work. Making reservations months in advance to guarantee my seat in one of the main restaurants isn't my idea of freestyle. Granted, it wouldn't have stopped me from cruising on Anthem, but I wish the concept actually let you eat where and when you want, allowing you to decide the night of, without the fear that you might be forced to the Windjammer or specialty restaurants.

My sister in law love love loves freestyle and NCL is her choice specifically because of that so yes there are lots of people on vacation that don't want to put pants on or have to make a decision between 2 dining options

Granted, it wouldn't have stopped me from cruising on Anthem, but I wish the concept actually let you eat where and when you want, allowing you to decide the night of, without the fear that you might be forced to the Windjammer or specialty restaurants.

Just like that can't happen on a land based restaurant, it wouldn't work with DD. There's a bell curve in time when people want to go to dinner - at peak times there's just not enough capacity. If you want to eat at 7 you need a reservation, if you want to eat at 5:30 or 8:30, not so much.

I give Royal a lot of credit for listening to their customers. No format is going to please everyone, and I'll admit that I'm biased in thinking Royal has made a good move here because we hated DD when we were on Anthem in February. But really, the feedback has been generally negative, and I think a lot of Royal for listening to it rather than stubbornly sticking with the concept that they had clearly invested time and money promoting.

It might seem that there's more negative feedback, but that's because they are the loudest and most vocal. People who are happy don't usually give feedback at all! We loved DD and now that they are doing away with it we won't be booking Quantum class ever again. I d much rather be on a ship with a large beautiful MDR instead of eating in 1 small dining room for 12 nights. We always do MTD on their other ships. Only booked Anthem because we enjoyed DD on Quantum.

DD worked great for us on Quantum. Yes, we made reservations just like we do for MTD and we never had a problem and never had long waits to get into dinner. So because people complained instead of booking ships with traditional dining, those of us that loved DD lose out. This ship was built for DD concept - I say it's to bad they are backing down because they are still going to get negative feedback and have already been getting it on another Social Media site where RCI has a page.

Edited by beachbuddy

I have to admit, I chuckle every time this thread pops up on my feed. Not because I think it's funny, but because during the All Access tour, Executive Chef John was adamant, that Dynamic Dining would never, could never, go away. That it was here to stay. He ticked off a handful of reasons why this was so, echoing many of the opinions I'd read on this board. The really ironic part, was that no one had even asked him about it. He brought it up on his own, because he wanted to clear the air about some of the negativity on the Internet, surrounding Dynamic Dining. He certainly had me convinced. So yeah, when this thread pops up, I can't help but chuckle a bit.

Edited by hapster85

It is possible that there would be a new set of menus, combining items from all 4 DD menus each night, or rotate the current menus, e.g. Tonight every restaurant serve the Grande menu and it is formal night, then tomorrow the Silk menu etc.

Based on the sample menus from the official FAQ, it doesn't look like it.

Hardly any Asian, Silk style dishes at all. To me it looks pretty much like the bog standard RCI menus

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Anthem/Dynamic_Dining_Menus.pdf

Not because I think it's funny, but because during the All Access tour, Executive Chef John was adamant, that Dynamic Dining would never, could never, go away. That it was here to stay.

In one sense he is right, unless they cut the ship apart at the next dry dock, the venues are limited to what they were designed for. So the name will change and there will be some tinkering with the menu, but the math/physics will dictate what fits in the 4 venues.