Anthem eliminates Dynamic Dining

TeeRick

I was just on Anthem and was very aggravated with the whole booking process before the cruise too. We booked just before final payment and could not get an early dining time on most nights. We were able to get times as soon as we boarded using the Royal IQ app. You just have to register in the app and then can make everything you want, including the puzzle room. Just make sure if you have multiple reservations that the other parties have registered in the app too. My Mom was traveling with us in a separate cabin and I could not get a table for all of us until she registered in the Royal IQ app too. Once she did, we were able to get Grande easily, which was all booked except 9 and later in the cruise planner.

I requested DD classic when booked the Aug. 25the NE/Canada cruise via TA. About 3 months out e-mailed RCL Dining Dept. requesting table for 2 and go table #125 a window table which we enjoyed the scenery. Outside of Nantucket saw a school of dolphins.

Ps. When you booked did you not link your Mom to your reserve? I've got a family cruise for Easter '18 and all 3 cabins are linked. This worked vey well for our Easter '16 and all were assigned the same table.

Not out of Bayonne. Anthem is the one and only.

Personally, I like DD choice if it worked. You really don't have the flexibility of dining when you want without making reservations and nearly impossible for a large group.

I still don't understand what the problem was with DD Choice and Classic. Each have a purpose and Classic worked well for our large group in May on Anthem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But there are other ships that also sail out of Bayonne and NY area. Don't understand your thinking. If I lived in Florida, should I complain that there is no DD ship that sails out of that port. I live in NJ, but have friends that flew from places like Florida, California, Arizona, Canada, etc that flew here to experience Quantum class. We're lucky we have a ship in our area but honestly, if this change happens, we'll be sailing other ships out of other ports. Cruises in Florida are even cheaper. Anthem prices are not cheap and we should get what we paid for. Out final payment date already passed so they shouldn't be changing the product that we bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by beachbuddy

Agree with you regarding final payment! We bought something and were sold on something very different than what now is going to be offered. If they are going to change it, it should be NEXT YEAR when people can be sold on the new product or have the opportuntiy to change.

Agree with you regarding final payment! We bought something and were sold on something very different than what now is going to be offered. If they are going to change it, it should be NEXT YEAR when people can be sold on the new product or have the opportuntiy to change.

Absolutely agree!!!

I requested DD classic when booked the Aug. 25the NE/Canada cruise via TA. About 3 months out e-mailed RCL Dining Dept. requesting table for 2 and go table #125 a window table which we enjoyed the scenery. Outside of Nantucket saw a school of dolphins.

Ps. When you booked did you not link your Mom to your reserve? I've got a family cruise for Easter '18 and all 3 cabins are linked. This worked vey well for our Easter '16 and all were assigned the same table.

We booked right before final payment, only DD Choice was available at that time. Dining reservations had also already opened to book, so we were late to the game. I did link the two reservations and booked as many nights as I could get reservations, but 2 nights had only 8:30pm and later reservations left in the restaurants we wanted.

The Royal IQ app worked great once we boarded. It just wouldn't let me choose her for a reservation until I got her registered in the app too. Took a couple of minutes because there was an issue with her name because her sea pass said one thing but the person who checked us in at the port changed something and dropped the second name (sea pass said A B C but reservation now was for A C). Once I got that figured out, I booked us all.

It all worked out in the end, just wish I could have had it all booked prior to boarding.

We loved DD on the Anthem and we liked going to each of the restaurants. It was some of the best food we had on a cruise ship. We were just on the Oasis last month with the new menus and most of us in our 40+ group did not like that food at all. There were nights we found nothing edible and went to get a slice of pizza instead. I will be sorely disappointed if the menus have changed for our Anthem cruise next summer.

Guest maddycat
I feel the same way. Something financially was not working for them, that's generally why they make changes.

Maybe the wait staff is not happy with DD. The wait staff works harder in DD choice with less support. There are fewer assistant waiters. There is also the matter of extra tips. In DD choice you have different wait staff every night. You don't build up a rapport with your waiter and assistant waiter. Therefore, they don't receive extra tips at the end of the cruise. The wait staff who is accustomed to traditional, MTD or DD classic and receiving extra tips at the end of a cruise would be working harder for less compensation.

Maybe the wait staff is not happy with DD. The wait staff works harder in DD choice with less support. There are fewer assistant waiters. There is also the matter of extra tips. In DD choice you have different wait staff every night. You don't build up a rapport with your waiter and assistant waiter. Therefore, they don't receive extra tips at the end of the cruise. The wait staff who is accustomed to traditional, MTD or DD classic and receiving extra tips at the end of a cruise would be working harder for less compensation.

On the tips thing.

Maybe they should go the style I experienced in Coastal Kitchen on Allure.

At the end of the meal ask for a card from each party and "charge" for the meal. That way a slip is generated for extra gratuity.

I will be sorely disappointed if the menus have changed for our Anthem cruise next summer.

Well if Royal goes through with this change (it's looking like they will), either adjust your expectations or prepare yourself for disappointment, because you'll have the new menus.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Where did you get those menus from? According to Royal, they don't even have a plan yet for implementation yet alone menus.

Yes, and with Anthem having fewer overall dining seats in ratio to passengers, it probably makes even more sense to make reservations than on other ships.

Now that I think about it, MTD might get worse on Anthem compared with DD Choice before it. Currently with DD Choice I think somewhere around 60-70% of the seats are allocated to DD Choice. Once the switch is made only 50% of the seats will be MTD.

Yep ... for the folks who didn't like making reservations for DD, there's a pretty good chance things may only get worse. Unless they jam in a ton more tables, you're still going to have the MTD diners fighting for dining times. I potentially see either long MTD waits, or they keep the reservation system which means booking far in advance just like you currently would with DD but now it will really depend on the tables and seating arrangements in the 2 MTD venues.

As many others have said, the Anthem just wasn't designed for this type of system.

Edited by Brocktoon623

Question #9 of the FAQ document -- "Click here for sample menus"

Thanks. I just don't understand. I just read a post from RCI on another social media site that they are not even sure of the implementation date. They said they are still planning how it's going to work.

Thanks. I just don't understand. I just read a post from RCI on another social media site that they are not even sure of the implementation date. They said they are still planning how it's going to work.

I mean things could definitely change.

It is important to note that communication between the various departments of RCI is less than stellar.

I'm just wondering what's going to happen with the Solarium Bistro now? Still complementary & you just need a reservation or will it go back to a "pay" restaurant? Going back on the Anthem in January & my family & I prefer the classic dining. Also planning on eating at Jamie's, the Bistro & the Windjammer one night.

Just wondering, does NCL let you book the non speciality restaurants in advance?

I can't speak for all the MDRs on all the ships, but we've been able to book dinner in advance in the Grand Pacific (the larger MDR) on the NCL Gem. Only did it once for the first night of a cruise when my wife and I we were traveling with three other family members. I thought it would be helpful for a group of five on the first night, which can be a little chaotic.

Other than that, we've never seen the need to book non-specialty dining in advance on NCL; it totally defeats the purpose of Freestyle Dining, a system that NCL does very well (and which, sadly, RCI did not pull off with Dynamic Dining). And only until recently, when NCL started selling or giving away specialty dining packages, has it even seemed necessary to book those venues in advance.

You know, I really don't think I care how the place is decorated. I just want good food and professional wait staff

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Actually the decor "does" make a difference.

On Anthem they presented a single menu in all 4 uniquely decorated dining rooms for a 3n cruise ...... It felt really weird eating roast beef surrounded by Asian decor and Buddha statues..... As others have said, having this decor for 12 nights may grate after a while.

I am disappointed that RCI didn't have the guts to stuck to their concept.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Actually the decor "does" make a difference.

On Anthem they presented a single menu in all 4 uniquely decorated dining rooms for a 3n cruise ...... It felt really weird eating roast beef surrounded by Asian decor and Buddha statues..... As others have said, having this decor for 12 nights may grate after a while.

I am disappointed that RCI didn't have the guts to stuck to their concept.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

I was assigned to the Silk dining room on the Allure in February. It was weird, but we got used to it.

The prior May, on Oasis, I was assigned to the Grande. Dining there was nicer because that venue's decor is similar to a MDR.

I guess we'll all just have to get used to it. Maybe in a little less that 4 years time, they'll redecorate the 4 venues during Anthem's first dry dock. :rolleyes:;)

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I guess we'll all just have to get used to it. Maybe in a little less that 4 years time, they'll redecorate the 4 venues during Anthem's first dry dock. :rolleyes:;)

Considering Harmony just entered service a few months ago with the new decor don't get your hopes up. Look to Oasis 4 decor for the way forward.

I was assigned to the Silk dining room on the Allure in February. It was weird, but we got used to it.

The prior May, on Oasis, I was assigned to the Grande. Dining there was nicer because that venue's decor is similar to a MDR.

On Oasis, it's not the same. The dining rooms are still where they were. There were 3 levels and they just basically renamed them.