3 consecutive cruises, do I have to re check in for each cruise?

jensue1

Hi. We have booked a cruise on emerald princess for next April. Auckland to LA, LA to Vancouver and Vancouver Alaska round trip. Unfortunately we weren't able to keep the same cabin and hav to change cabins in

LA and in Vancouver. Princess cruiselines has told our TA that we will need to go off the ship in both LA and Vancouver but we can leave our luggage on board and our room steward will transfer it to our next cabin for us.

My question is, is there a separate room we go to for re boarding or do we hav to re check in with everyone else who are just starting their cruise? I hope this makes sense. :)

You'll get directions on what to do a day or two before you get to LA or Vancouver. The letter explains exactly what to do.

As a general rule, you'll be directed to meet in the theater or a lounge (depends on how many B2Bs are on your cruise).

You wait there until EVERYONE has shown up. You have to wait for the forgetfuls and the idiots who think the rules don't apply to them.

Once everyone is there, the group will be led off the ship to a waiting area (you pass thru immigration as you proceed).

Then you sit and wait until the ship is "zeroed". Everyone (except crew) is required to leave the ship before the new batch gets on.

Guess what!! You get on before everyone else.:D

Part of the instructions given will include an "in transit" pass, so if you want to leave the port area when you return you can wave the pass and go directly to the ship.

Since you're changing cabins, you'll receive a new cruise card with your letter as well.

Usually, your steward will direct you to put your small stuff in a suitcase and leave everything to him/her. I've heard of stewards who say "not my job" and leave it for you to move all your stuff. Great way to increase one's tip.:rolleyes:

I read on at least one comment on CC that the steward moved everything...drawers and all to the new cabin, so tossing stuff into a suitcase wasn't required. That's an exceptional steward.

I can tell you that it is not uncommon that the first week or two in Vancouver at the beginning of the season - on my last turnaround in Vancouver, no one knew what an Intransit pass means. We struggled big time to find someone to get back on the ship in Vancouver as no understood what Intransit meant. Later in the season they may...... just prepared.

Edited by Coral

Usually, your steward will direct you to put your small stuff in a suitcase and leave everything to him/her. I've heard of stewards who say "not my job" and leave it for you to move all your stuff. Great way to increase one's tip.:rolleyes:

I read on at least one comment on CC that the steward moved everything...drawers and all to the new cabin, so tossing stuff into a suitcase wasn't required. That's an exceptional steward.

We have done 3 B2Bs where we have changed cabins and the written instructions have always said pack small stuff in a suitcase, empty your safe, and leave clothes on their hangers. Staff - not the steward who is busy on turnaround day with his/her normal duties - comes and moves your suitcases and hanging clothes on a hotel cart to your new cabin.

Thanks so much for the replies. It doesn't sound too bad.

The only time it is bad is when you are sitting in the auditorium and a few of your fellow passengers have decided the instructions don't apply to them. Thus, they don't attend. Those of you who do follow instructions won't be released until the wayward passengers are located and processed.

The only time it is bad is when you are sitting in the auditorium and a few of your fellow passengers have decided the instructions don't apply to them. Thus' date=' they don't attend. Those of you who do follow instructions won't be released until the wayward passengers are located and processed.[/quote']Or made to walk the plank [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did our first B2B last winter. We had the choice of going to the 'holding room' to wait for the zeroing to happen or of being off the ship by a certain time. We decided to not let the 'forgetfuls' or 'idiots' mess with our time and took off to see the town. We still had time to have breakfast in the MDR before getting off the ship to look around. It's all very civilized!

The only time it is bad is when you are sitting in the auditorium and a few of your fellow passengers have decided the instructions don't apply to them. Thus' date=' they don't attend. Those of you who do follow instructions won't be released until the wayward passengers are located and processed.[/quote']

So true. We were once held "hostage" by a couple of this kind for more than 30 min and didn't even care to apologize upon arrival.

The only time it is bad is when you are sitting in the auditorium and a few of your fellow passengers have decided the instructions don't apply to them. Thus' date=' they don't attend. Those of you who do follow instructions won't be released until the wayward passengers are located and processed.[/quote']

Moki'smommy,

One time on a b2b we had to stand up for over one hour until the passenger came down. All the people about 300 that had to wait started yelling at them. The lady started to cry before the passengers stopped.

Tony

Moki'smommy,

One time on a b2b we had to stand up for over one hour until the passenger came down. All the people about 300 that had to wait started yelling at them. The lady started to cry before the passengers stopped.

Tony

So she has the nerve to not follow instructions but breaks down when confronted with her bad behavior? Stupid people who can't simply do as asked.

I know, and understand, the discomfort and inconvenience of having to wait for stragglers but should we assume everyone who comes late can speak and read English? Do the instructions come with translations in all languages of the guests? Is it possible that sometimes these people simply think it is a general note of thanks from the Captain or crew so they don't bother reading or attempting to have it translated?

Perhaps it could be the (added) duty of all stewards to attempt to speak with those in their area who are B2B guests and urge them the importance of arriving where they are instructed?

We'll be on our first B2B this November and plan to leave the ship with all the other passengers so I won't actually experience what this could be like. Hopefully there will be no hiccups or horrible weather and we can disembark and enjoy a short day in port.

Moki'smommy,

Tony

I am ok with this. Now there are 301 people (plus the ones that are reading this thread) that now know that they need to show up when told to do so. Much different then the "special snowflake" treatment we give to those that feel that they are different.

Moki'smommy,

Tony

I know, and understand, the discomfort and inconvenience of having to wait for stragglers but should we assume everyone who comes late can speak and read English? Do the instructions come with translations in all languages of the guests? Is it possible that sometimes these people simply think it is a general note of thanks from the Captain or crew so they don't bother reading or attempting to have it translated?

Perhaps it could be the (added) duty of all stewards to attempt to speak with those in their area who are B2B guests and urge them the importance of arriving where they are instructed?

We'll be on our first B2B this November and plan to leave the ship with all the other passengers so I won't actually experience what this could be like. Hopefully there will be no hiccups or horrible weather and we can disembark and enjoy a short day in port.

So you expect a letter like:

Dear Iceleven,

Your presence is humbly requested at the following location at the following time at the end of the cruise (after 2700 people have gotton off the ship) and 300 people doing B2B can get back on. Oh let us not forget the 3000+ people can get on the ship and we can leave port on time.

Thank you,

Signed THE CAPTAIN

So you expect a letter like:

Dear Iceleven,

Your presence is humbly requested at the following location at the following time at the end of the cruise (after 2700 people have gotton off the ship) and 300 people doing B2B can get back on. Oh let us not forget the 3000+ people can get on the ship and we can leave port on time.

Thank you,

Signed THE CAPTAIN

Not bad. Maybe you should submit this to Princess. I could help......:D

Edited by ar1950

In Vancouver, when you are In Transit, it is critical to know where you want to get to before you attempt to get there. Get off at any point before the last call, and enjoy the city until some time just after noon, up until about 3:30. Return to Canada Place.

From here, it's actually quite simple. Start by having your new cruise card and your in-transit pass in your hand. Have some ID in a convenient pocket. Prepare to encounter the Undead, aka the Clipboard Zombies.

Enter Canada Place from the street level to the *left* of the Starbucks. Just past the car rental and reception/information desks, there will be a set of elevators to your right. Take them *down* to the Cruise level. There may be well-intentioned zombies with clipboards who will try to send you to Hall C or something. Try your best to ignore them. They may be persistent, but perhaps ill-informed. Repeat: "I have already been on board, and am returning to the ship. I am in-transit, thank you", and keep moving.

When you exit the elevator you will possibly be greeted by more zombies with clipboards who will try to be helpful and send you back upstairs. They are horribly misinformed. Politely repeat that you are transit passengers, and have already been through this, are returning to the ship, and have your cruise cards. Proceed forward and you will see a snaking line of passengers queuing for security and US immigration. You want to be well to the left of them. There will be small signage that says "crew", and perhaps some passengers with mobility devices will be directed that way.

This is the line you want to be in. If you make it to this point, you are fine. The clipboard zombies have been defeated.

Once you make it through the metal detectors, there's signage that will direct you. The biggest challenge is making it to the right metal detector/X-ray given that you are a transit passenger.

I don't know why they make this so difficult. In other ports it's incredibly obvious where to go and what to do.

You have to be a lawyer!! :eek:

Tony

Yes I thought I would do that too. Thanks :)

Hi Jen and Sue, we are on the same cruise as you from Sydney to LA. LA is NOT the first port of call in the US. Hilo is our first port of call in the US and that is where we will clear Customs and Immigration. There should be no customs and immigration formalities in LA. Checked this with CBP in Hilo. Most likely they will send an agent or two to board the ship and clear everyone on board during our days at sea. Although LA is the debarkation port for most of us, I would think that you will be allowed to get off the ship to do some sightseeing and then return after boarding is started. In Vancouver you will have to go through Customs and Immigration. Like others have said, you will receive instructions a couple of nights before arriving in LA and instructing you on what to do. No need to recheck in again. See you on board.

A comment regarding L.A. (San Pedro).

There are lots of sites in L.A., but if you wish to stay close to the port may I suggest that you visit the battleship USS Iowa museum. It is docked right next to the Princess pier. You can also walk along the Ports of Call shopping area which is right along the harbor. The L.A. Maritime museum is also a short walk from the pier.