Not being sure whether to complain, or keep quiet about poor service?

Cahpek

Have you experienced about a situation about poor service given to you on an Oceania cruise (eg staff attitude or rudeness) , but being no sure whether to complain, or just to keep quiet ?

Maybe you might not wish to cause a fuss or be seen as a "trouble-making" passenger and felt perhaps you might just try "forget about it" and let it go?

But you might still feel quite upset how you were treated, and felt if you didn't bring that to attention and seen to, that the poor service standard may continue to be given to other passengers?

However, if you complain about a performance of a staff to management, it might even make him or her lose his/her job (and his/her livelihood which the rest of his family would depend upon) - and that might make you feel bad as well!!

What would you do? Have you experienced such a dilemma?

I know this situation is rare, as we know most Oceania staff usually work very, very hard, and they try their best to please and mantain a high standard of service. But have any cruisers here ever experience the rare occasion when a staff went past what is "forgivable", and are not up to the standard which is comparable to his/her fellow staff members? What did you do?

Please share your experience with us.

Edited by Cahpek

Without knowing what happened makes it hard for anyone here to have any real idea if the staff person "went past what is forgivable" or if your expectations are unrealistic.

But it seems like a good idea to report something that you think may be unforgivable. I supervise people and absolutely want to know if a client has a bad experience with someone.

I will take that information and determine how to respond with my employee and my response will be based on the person's work history and any other relevant circumstances. Hopefully if you report a crew member his/her supervisor would respond the same way.

It's doubtful that one person's report would lead to a firing. There are always two sides to a story, and there is always context to consider.

Service, like food and ambience is extremely subjective.

That said, the crew is there to make the passengers happy and if they aren't accomplishing that, then something should be said.

It isn't always practical to say something in the moment, but each passenger cabin has a telephone...

Every passenger will have different ideas of what constitutes "good service", so just because it wasn't your particular cup of tea, doesn't mean that the staff member will be chastised when you report it.

Some people require a level of catering which I would find stifling; another contingent prefers to think about the staff as being friends rather than servants. The crew are asked to decide in an instant which group we fall into, it's quite a difficult task.

Rudeness or disrespect, however, are never acceptable, so if one comes across sullen behavior......don't hesitate!

I think it depends on what the offense is and the situation in which it occurred. ;)

We did have two unpleasant experiences with 2 different crew members while on our first Oceania cruise. The offenses happened during the 2/12 Noro cruise. Although we were shocked at the behavior of the crew members (not at all up to the standards of Oceania that we had heard so much of prior to our cruise), we chalked it up to stress because of all the extra work the crew members were under. We certainly were not going to complain about them and possibly cause them to receive a demerit or lose their jobs.

We are looking for a better experience on our next Oceania cruise. :)

We had a butler who was over-the-top fawning, and was really annoying. Towards the end of the cruise he pleaded with us to allow him to do things for us, so that we would review him well. He did things without consulting us, like getting dinner reservations for us with friends (which was fine, but it would have been nice to be asked.) He said that anything less than an "excellent" review would be a strike against him. We found this a bit offensive. But we didn't complain, and probably gave him a decent review, but not an excellent one.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I had worked in the hotel industry for years. It was imperative to encourage our guests to share their experiences with us, good, bad or indifferent. I feel that both positive and negative comments are very important and everyone on our team were expected to encourage our guests to complete comment cards at the end of their stay. Management wants to applaud those doing a good job and work alongside those who need further training to improve. If you experienced issues in need of correction, IMHO, you needed to share that while on board with management. Management can't fix something that they are unaware is broken. Customer service and satisfaction are always #1.

Edited by nyfeds

I had worked in the hotel industry for years. It was imperative to encourage our guests to share their experiences with us, good, bad or indifferent. I feel that both positive and negative comments are very important and everyone on our team were expected to encourage our guests to complete comment cards at the end of their stay. Management wants to applaud those doing a good job and work alongside those who need further training to improve. If you experienced issues in need of correction, IMHO, you needed to share that while on board with management. Management can't fix something that they are unaware is broken. Customer service and satisfaction are always #1.

Well said - I agree.

I am glad you considered the context and full situation before complaining or keeping quiet. I try to wait a while, consider the Oceania workers side (including possible language issues) and my part in the issue before complaining.

I have been known to verbally joke around with Oceania staff and crew, often at high tea or the Terrace. Before I start this, I try to notice how busy that person is before starting comments or responses.

Couldn't agree more.......If you don't let them know it can't be fixed -

On Azamara, at the CC meetup, they asked us directly to tell them when there was something wrong. They didn't want to read about it on CC. On Oceania, we got a mid-cruise evaluation, which also seems like a good idea.

I think it's thoughtful to avoid griping to fellow cruisers. Talk to someone who can actually address the problem. I have found the concierge very helpful and it is easier to get something resolved while on the ship than to seek compensation later.

Mary

On Azamara, at the CC meetup, they asked us directly to tell them when there was something wrong. They didn't want to read about it on CC. On Oceania, we got a mid-cruise evaluation, which also seems like a good idea.

I think it's thoughtful to avoid griping to fellow cruisers. Talk to someone who can actually address the problem. I have found the concierge very helpful and it is easier to get something resolved while on the ship than to seek compensation later.

Mary

Spot on, Mary.

Issues need to be brought to the attention of those who can address those issues and turn things around. Griping to fellow passengers and airing negative experiences here on CC doesn't accomplish much, if anything.

Dependent upon the issue(s) at hand, the last thing I would want is for someone to be fired. If it is correctable and a learning experience for that crew member, all the better. However, management should be keeping an eye on repeated problems, which might turn into a termination, and taking action to correct those problems. The only way that they can be made aware of problems, is by guests speaking up. Don't wait and fume over things. Often times, people wait until they get home and then post their issues here on a CC forum. Take it to someone who can address and correct problems immediately while on-board. When you get home, you may also want to contact Oceania, directly, and speak with someone in Customer Service about your unsatisfactory experience(s).

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

You need to complain in detail your experiences and name, names! Who cares if they get fired! If they deserve it, they earned it!

Pretty harsh comment, considering you/we know nothing of the issue(s) at hand. Crew members can be retrained and that should always be the goal, unless it is repeated over and over again.

And, let's all take into account that there are at least two sides to a story!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

In my opinion, it is always best to first deal with the individual we feel is not doing his/her job and let them know exactly what you feel are deficiencies in service. If no improvement is seen, THEN go up the ladder.

Edited by George'sGal