Mdr

conom

Yes you did. The very broad brush painting of American's eating dinner in 39 minutes followed by the Americans eat, Europeans dine. These generalities do not mesh with anyone I know here in the States.

But what's great about CC, we all have our opinions and ideas. We pretty much have cruised on Celebrity since 2009 and now think although we are paying more for our Oceania cruise, it may be a step down from Celeb as we have never had a 39 minute dinner and have always felt we've dined, not just eaten.

Ok. My sensitivity radar is obviously tuned differently.

There are many generalities on CC and I probably take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by wally_bushy

Ok. My sensitivity radar is obviously tuned differently.

There are many generalities on CC and I probably take it with a grain of salt.

Well said. I have never been on "Celeb" nor do I think I ever will, but I certainly wouldn't form an opinion whether it was up or down from Oceania without setting foot on it. I love Oceania and its food. I like a quick Terrace dinner when I am tired and don't want to do a formal sit down dinner. But after reading the tone of some of these posts, I will stick tightly to my policy of a table for two only. No additional specialty restaurant reservation is worth the possibility of an opinionated table mate.

I prefer the Grand Dining Room as well as the specialties rather than the Terrace. I like both of us be eating together, and the same course! And I like the spa choices on the GDR menu.

That being said, there are some dynamite menu items at the Terrace and sometimes they grill fresh fish outdoors. Lovely. And if the weather co-operates, you can sit outdoors.

Frances

I've never seen anything cooked outdoors on the Terrace. Is this something new?

Back to the timing considerations ...

We've had long dinners in the GDR (but also in the specialties) -- mostly when we were 6-8 people. If you are 4, it's not so lengthy ... and if you really want to move more quickly, a table for 2 is good.

We like to share and don't mind the time it may take because we usually enjoy our dinner companions (even when we haven't met them before) and usually don't care so much about the show.

I wouldn't avoid Terrace because you don't want a 39 minute dinner! We've had leisurely dinners there as well.

Don't take all these comments you are seeing TOO literally! That's my advice ...

You do need to try it to see if you like it. We happen to like all of the venues.

Mura

Have been on 2 O cruises and never ate dinner at the Terrace, mainly due to my personal aversion to buffets. But so many of your responses to this question have enlightened me, and I will give the Terrace a try on our March cruise! (I imagine the outside tables will be free while we go around Cape Horn!!!)

We travel with our SIL and BIL, so usually get a table for four, but have also enjoyed eight. We really enjoy the GDR, for any meal. Even on the last 22 day trip, we were never bored with the menu! We each got the chance to have a personal favorite again, or to try what our spouse gushed over two weeks ago....!

Myra and Lyn, I second the appreciation of your posts--always kind, always accurate, and always fun. Thanks.

Marseydotes,

I think you will find that the Oceania buffet is not at all like a buffet on a mass market line.

When we sailed on the QE2 (2003 and 2004 I think) we often went there because we didn't want to be "formal" ... food was good, no grabbing that I remember. Even when we were on NCL in 2010 we rather liked the buffet when we were there. Lots of choices, especially of other cuisines. (The head chef at that time was Indian.)

But it's more restrained on O ... and the food is good.

I didn't notice which ship you will be on ... as far as Terrace is concerned, I do think Marina/Riviera are better, just because they have more room, so more choices. But we were just on Nautica and had a number of dinners there with great pleasure. (And we didn't go OUT onto the terrace!)

We'll be on Sirena in a little more than a week and assume we'll be in Terrace at least for a few evenings. (Maybe this time we'll even go out to the Terrace.)

Mura

Mura

Have been on 2 O cruises and never ate dinner at the Terrace, mainly due to my personal aversion to buffets. But so many of your responses to this question have enlightened me, and I will give the Terrace a try on our March cruise! (I imagine the outside tables will be free while we go around Cape Horn!!!)

I agree with Mura the buffet on Oceania is not like other ships in some ways the crew will serve you from behind the counter they wait staff will bring your drinks to the table

for dinner there is table cloths unlike some other line with just the plain tables

I am not fond of popping up & down for my meal so we usually avoid the Terrace for dinner unless we are just too tired to sit through a GDR dinner

it is just a personal thing

If the weather is bad they bring the tables in & lock the doors to the back deck ;)

They sit outdoors and grill indoors. Not too hard to understand, I think.

Yes, I know how it works, but I was replying to this statement,

"That being said, there are some dynamite menu items at the Terrace and sometimes they grill fresh fish outdoors"

which I don't find hard to understand at all. I just haven't seen it happen.

I've never seen anything cooked outdoors on the Terrace. Is this something new?

On Insignia last year, we had outdoor grilled fish a couple of times. It was announced in the daily current as a fish grill or similar. Once you are in the Terrace it was not obvious if you didn't look outside though. Lovely fish. Once I had parrot fish and Richard had pomfret.

No, not usual to have outside grilling, but watch for it.

Edited by Tansy Mews

Not sure why so many are so thin skinned over my comments! :confused:

If I say some people like their steaks medium well and I like mine medium rare, is that condescending, or just a statement of facts?

I prefer a enjoying the company of other cruisers and having a leisurely paced meal for dinner. Some people (including many (not all) Americans) like to eat at a quicker pace so to do/enjoy other things. It's all personal preference. If one doesn't like leisurely paced meals, they may not enjoy the GDR . That position has been stated by others on numerous occasions here.

Additionally, as purely personal opinion, I don't believe many people grasp how fast some restaurants hussle their patrons to flip tables. That is partially because many like the faster pace to begin with. A scenario we recently had in a very upscale Chop House.

Dinner Reservations at 7, and we're promptly seated, wine and appetizer were brought together within minutes of sitting and ordering;

The salad was brought out before we barely started the appetizers, and they took away the apps before we could even object;

the main entrée was brought out before we had half finished out salads. I asked what's the rush? and the reply was "since you ordered our steaks medium rare, they come out quick!"

With the delivery of the main entrée, we are asked if we want to order dessert. I didn't really know and the waiter responded "Here is your bill, I can take care of it at your pleasure, please feel free to enjoy after dinner drinks IN OUR LOUNGE!"

Some people would call such quick service highly efficient and professional. I considered it abusive and rude. I had to take our wine bottle away from the hostess because she wanted to run and refill our glass ,to the near top, every time we took a sip. I don't like my wine glass filled to the brim! Personal thing, others can disagree. We left the restaurant at 7:43, after I had used the bathroom. The wait staff had successfully flipped the table for the next round of patrons. That's what their management pays them to do!

We have heard many people rave about how great the service is there. People have different opinions on such, because they have differing views and likes. Nothing condescending on either end, just facts!

I would not be concerned. Some people are easily offended or read into a post a criticism of themselves that just isn't there. Most people just view your post as your opinion to which you are certainly entitled. Too many people in these forums take things "personally" as if it were an attack on them. Your post did not attack anyone. There are many of us who welcome differing opinions - including strong opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pinot lover,

You are right and wrong. Your tone may have been a little harsh, but you are correct. There is a completely different mode of eating in Europe and I like it. I have never eaten a three hour meal in the US while I have really enjoyed such in Italy and France. Sometimes with extended family. Maybe because at home we have too much else to do. And, in my experience, we work longer hours in the US and think we cannot take the time. Anyway, I appreciate your opinion. Which is what this the purpose of this board.

I hate it when people get snarky with each other. I am a middle child. Is,so read chow hound, and, wow, those people get downright vicious. This is not that bad.

Anyway, I enjoy these boards, read daily when I am anticipating a cruise. Looking forward to my first Oceania cruise in less than a month!

PINOT

why did you not just tell the waiter to leave the apps & you will order your dessert if you want it when you are done the meal

If your steak comes before you have finished the salad course that is the fault of the waiter for placing your order before you are finished the salad

If they already know it comes out of the kitchen fast then do not place the order until they see you are ready

nothing stopping you from speaking up & telling them when you want the entree/main to be served

You seem to be outspoken here so why not at a restaurant that you are paying big $$ at ?? :rolleyes:

even at our local restaurant I have never been rushed through a meal & it is not an upscale place & they ARE busy most times

PINOT

why did you not just tell the waiter to leave the apps & you will order your dessert if you want it when you are done the meal

If your steak comes before you have finished the salad course that is the fault of the waiter for placing your order before you are finished the salad

If they already know it comes out of the kitchen fast then do not place the order until they see you are ready

nothing stopping you from speaking up & telling them when you want the entree/main to be served

You seem to be outspoken here so why not at a restaurant that you are paying big $$ at ?? :rolleyes:

even at our local restaurant I have never been rushed through a meal & it is not an upscale place & they ARE busy most times

Pinolover,

These were my thoughts exactly when I read your report.

You don't strike me like a person that would let a server treat you like that - especially not in a restaurant where you are likely to spend a lot of $$$$.

You can certainly tell them how you like to be served - I know I would.

The bill wouldn't get paid until I was ready to give them my CC :D

Hopefully you let the management know how you felt and will never patronize (or recommend) them again.

I am not saying that what you recounted did not happen but I have never been to a place like that anywhere.

That said, you are correct in saying that meals in Europe are served at a much more leisurely pace - some like it, others not too much.

There must be a middle road that is just right - not to fast and not too slow :)

PS Did you tip the server - if so, how much? :D

Edited by Paulchili

Lyn;

The reason is because I know it's a losing battle, and I tire of fighting it. O fcourse, they put the steak on far to soon, and of course, everything got delivered far to quickly. It's all about flipping the table. That's what they do! I'll never go back there, but my point is/was some people like that fast paced service, even rave about it! When I go out for a nice dinner with my wife, I don't want a fight or a major discussion with the manager over something I know I won't win. The manager wants to flip the table, so to get another paying customer in that seat as fast as possible, while I want to have a leisurely dinner. Not all restaurants are that way, and I try to search those restaurants out that allows me to have at least a 1.5 hr meal, and never go back to the others!

I do not mind a leisurely meal but there is leisurely & then there is slow

Waiting 45 min + between the salad & the main is just slow IMO

20-30 min between courses is leisurely enough to enjoy the company at your table

this is my opinion & others may not find it acceptable for them :)

Lyn;

That's what they do! I'll never go back there, but my point is/was some people like that fast paced service, even rave about it!

seems like a good plan

I would post a review on a restaurant site

in & out in under 40 min :D

I do not mind a leisurely meal but there is leisurely & then there is slow

Waiting 45 min + between the salad & the main is just slow IMO

20-30 min between courses is leisurely enough to enjoy the company at your table

this is my opinion & others may not find it acceptable for them :)

I find the AZ serves to fast many times. I tell them to slow it down. if dining alone i tell them to slow it down. i dine at 8 or 830 if not interested in the show and they rush food and i can choke. .if in a hurry i go to buffet or someplace fat.

I find the AZ serves to fast many times. I tell them to slow it down. if dining alone i tell them to slow it down. i dine at 8 or 830 if not interested in the show and they rush food and i can choke. .if in a hurry i go to buffet or someplace fat.

Please tell me what the AZ is. I have no idea. Thanks