Using a Power Strip on a Princess Ship

MsSoCalCruiser

Well I think I'm even more confused after reading this thread!! Can someone tell me what a "brick" is please!!

Coming from Europe I will be wanting to charge an iPhone and my charger just has two pins. Will that go into the outlet in the cabin or will I need an adaptor, and does it matter what the voltage is. I will be on the CB going round the Caribbean.

It's been two years since I've been on her, but from what I recall, there is at least one two-pin outlet at the desk, possibly two. At least in the two balcony cabins I've occupied. I often use an adapter when there's a two-pin, and then plug my laptop into that, to keep the other slots free for devices that don't have a converter, like my travel clock.

Edited by Wehwalt

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still confused. I just want something small that is allowed, has a couple of regular plugs-ins and a couple of USB ports.

Here's a link to additional information on this subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2409659

I use this non-surge protected small device:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-Go-USB/dp/B008MF40F6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476065604&sr=8-5&keywords=monster+outlet

image.jpg.a56a6dc7e3197ee6876a36248d4ecfbc.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 3 weeks later...
Generally speaking, if it has an on/off switch (like a power bar you plug a computer into), it has a surge protector. An extension cord does not. Or even better, a multi-head power splitter:

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-29803-Power-Splitter/dp/B000083KIH/

There are 2 types with and without. The price reflects it also. Without cheaper and allowed. Strange thing is that Carnival is obsessive about surge protectors while Princess less so. I have used a travel one for years without an incident.

There are 2 types with and without. The price reflects it also. Without cheaper and allowed. Strange thing is that Carnival is obsessive about surge protectors while Princess less so. I have used a travel one for years without an incident.

Not as many fires on Princess ...

Please don't use a surge protector on a cruise ship.

Princess seems to treat its customers with some level of respect.

If they really do read cruisecritic, this will probably change...

Maybe a few but what about the majority of the people sailing?

Princess doesn't seem to publicize it very strongly.

If I wasn't an avid internet user, I would never have found CC, and never know about surge protectors being a problem on a ship. (Well, my friend who is a cruiser knew, and let us know, and I verified by reading CC.) I read the Princess FAQ about prohibited items, and it isn't listed - it really should be! In fact, it wasn't mentioned on the website at all. There was only one sentence, in downloadable information relating to my upcoming cruise.

I am thus quite worried about Princess' lack of details on the website, regarding something so dangerous. Why don't they advertise it? It seems like quite an oversight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe a few but what about the majority of the people sailing?

Princess doesn't seem to publicize it very strongly.

I see the confusion in what I wrote.

It will probably take a fire to cause princess to become more

serious about surge protectors.

It took the Star fire to finally get rid of smoking in cabins.

And, even then, I was surprised how long it took princess

to make a change.

If Princess had any forethought they would have provided a few connections for charging cell phones & tablets on the desk next to the AC outlets.

It could have eliminated a lot of the extra surge protection devices that people bring along with them.

It amazes me that in our world of technology that the cruise industry hasn't planned for this. They are building ships the size of cities with all types of mechanical hoopla including robotic bar tenders. How hard would it be to add a charging station in the staterooms? Apparently these surge protectors aren't a big enough issue. Personally I'm more concerned about the cheap electronic accessories that people purchase in the dollar store.

Could you tell me if this clock is dimmable? I prefer a low light at night.

No dimmer but if I put it on the other side of the room on the dresser its bright enough to see

I cruise for creme brûlée, lobster and warm chocolate melting cake!

This looks like a nice small alternative that is Amazon Prime with 2 electrical outlets and 3 USB ports. Pictures of the box in the reviews have no mention of Surge protection, so it should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/JSVER-Desktop-Compact-Outlets-Charging/dp/B01IQUPRP8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478703318&sr=1-8&keywords=powerstrip

My question is, if it is so important, why isn't it listed somewhere more obvious on the Princess site and more than once.

Outside of the cruise personalizer, it is NOT in the list of items you can not bring on board.

Inside the personalizer, it took me a while to find the "Additional Form & Documents section where the previously mentioned "Safety Information" document can be found.

There is a 33 page pdf under Answer Books, titled Cruise Answer Book that never mentions it.

There is a Pre_Cruise_Checklist that tells me not to forget to rent my formal attire, be sure the reserve shore excursions, book my special celebration packages, etc, but it never advises me to read the Safety Information document.

It is not listed with prohibited substances in the passage contract, but there is wording to say they can stop anything the deem dangerous. The link in the contract takes us to http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp which does not mention surge protectors or anything in that regard.

Now that I know, I will be sure to grab one of our power strips without surge protection, BUT, Cruise Critic members are a VERY small part of the cruising public. Even with CC, I have taken surge protectors on several cruises not knowing that it was a problem.

This looks like a nice small alternative that is Amazon Prime with 2 electrical outlets and 3 USB ports. Pictures of the box in the reviews have no mention of Surge protection, so it should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/JSVER-Desktop-Compact-Outlets-Charging/dp/B01IQUPRP8/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478703318&sr=1-8&keywords=powerstrip

My question is, if it is so important, why isn't it listed somewhere more obvious on the Princess site and more than once.

Outside of the cruise personalizer, it is NOT in the list of items you can not bring on board.

Inside the personalizer, it took me a while to find the "Additional Form & Documents section where the previously mentioned "Safety Information" document can be found.

There is a 33 page pdf under Answer Books, titled Cruise Answer Book that never mentions it.

There is a Pre_Cruise_Checklist that tells me not to forget to rent my formal attire, be sure the reserve shore excursions, book my special celebration packages, etc, but it never advises me to read the Safety Information document.

It is not listed with prohibited substances in the passage contract, but there is wording to say they can stop anything the deem dangerous. The link in the contract takes us to http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp which does not mention surge protectors or anything in that regard.

Now that I know, I will be sure to grab one of our power strips without surge protection, BUT, Cruise Critic members are a VERY small part of the cruising public. Even with CC, I have taken surge protectors on several cruises not knowing that it was a problem.

The problem with all of these consumer electronics devices is that 3rd party sites like Amazon don't always have all the specifications. I have found that you need to visit the manufacturer's website, and in many cases, I have had to contact them directly as their sites are contradictory. This one does appear to be non-surge protected, from the mfg's website.