Charges after Final Statement

Janey

We have recently returned from the Oosterdam. We received our final statement on the last night which was fine. Just received our credit card statement which was not the same final amount. it was higher. Has anyone else experienced this? We can only think that someone has added something from the mini bar which we never used. It is not a large amount but if every cabin had this amount charged Holland America would make thousands of dollars per cruise. Not impressed. First and last time we will cruise with them. We paid $25 a day in tips and tipped extra but never again. The service was no better than an average cruise line.

So you won't sail with HAL again because there appears to be a small additional charge? And this is before calling them about it? It is more then likely from the minibar as you suggest but you appear to be over reacting a tad.:rolleyes:

Why did you tip extra if you did not feel it was deserved?

Edited by KirkNC

I'm sure that if you call HAL they will be able to help you. I would not jump the gun by thinking that someone charged your credit card fraudulently. If the charges were not warranted, then HAL will make it right.

I am curious as to why you would not sail HAL again. I don't understand your comment about them not being any better than other cruiselines. Which cruiselines were you referring to? HAL is a mainstream cruiseline, along with Princess, Celebrity, RCI, and rated slightly above NCL and Carnival (in some peoples opinion, of course, not all.) HAL has never been rated as an upscale or luxury cruiseline, such as Crystal, Azamara, etc.

What went wrong on Oosterdam that has upset you so much?

We've had this happen on HAL and Celebrity. It's frustrating. For me, when the cruise is over, it is over. Having to call to dispute charges is just poor customer service, imo. We never have to do it when we take land vacations, but it seems to be a regular occurrence when we cruise. :confused:

Call HAL. Someone will tell you the charge and will most likely reverse it.

This also happens in hotels from time to time.

It is a mistake. HAL will rectify it if you contact them.

Not certain what the big issue is. Do you cease doing business with every vendor who happens to make a billing error?

Edited by iancal

We've had this happen. Just emailed HAL (click the contact button) and they sent me a detailed bill for the add ons.

It was the mini bar and due to the fact that it didn't have the final tally until after the final bill came out.

It was correct - so we had no issues ;) HAL made it clear if we disputed they would reverse. They were very easy to deal with.

Most times it is a mini-bar charge. The one time it happened to me HAL quickly adjusted it after a single phone call.

If you have them remove the mini-bar items on the first day, you will likely avoid this, plus you have the empty frig to use entirely for your own items.

This is very simply. Call HAL and ask for a revised folio statement. Until you identify what was added to your account I think (as others have stated) over reacting. Two things could have happen 1) there was a staff keying error for the mini-bar or 2) someone dishonest went into your cabin and took a few beverages for their trip home. I always see cabin doors open as stewards are cleaning on the day of disembarkation. Yes, people do steal...sad, but true. HAL is well aware of these problems and will usual reverse these charges without hesitation.

After our last cruise we found an extra 100 €uro charge on our credit card which is not a small amount! I contacted HAL via their contact button on their website and it was quickly revised, money given back and we got an explanatory e-mail. As it was the one and only time so far and as we check our credit card charges diligently , we'll certainly cruise HAL again....;)

Sorry for the possible mistake but find out what is going on 1st before you defame HAL and claim you will never sail with them again. You must have enjoyed something on your cruise to tip extra! Mistakes do happen and can usually be rationally and easily handled.

Not sure how this is "defaming" HAL. Maybe from a cheerleader's perspective ;)

It sounded to me like the whole HAL cruise experience was not the one the OP was expecting. The post-cruise charge addition was just the cherry on top for the OP. No need to go all medieval and say this was defamation :roll eyes:

The minibar (aka Honor Bar, Refreshment Center) charge is the bane of any traveler. Unless you are somewhere the the minibar is the new electronic one that has a spot for each item and get a "sell" notice when you remove it, the minibar is serviced by an attendant and manually audited. The audit results are not automatic, but usually take place at night and again between occupancy. Any of those audits may take place after you leave and your credit card is charged again. The re-charge can happen two ways: the extra is just charged separately or, if within a certain time period, the initial charge is voided and the new balance is charged.

To the OP: I would ask for a new folio to see exactly what that extra is for. Then, contact HAL, tell them you never bought whatever it is, and ask for it's removal.

Sorry for the possible mistake but find out what is going on 1st before you defame HAL ..

Not sure how this is "defaming" HAL. Maybe from a cheerleader's perspective ;) ... No need to go all medieval and say this was defamation :roll eyes:...

FWIW, take us away, I agree with you 100% and I am certainly not a cheerleader ...

Smooth sailing ...

If you have them remove the mini-bar items on the first day, you will likely avoid this, plus you have the empty frig to use entirely for your own items.

This is what we do as we fill the fridge with things we really like at far less cost.

This is what we do as we fill the fridge with things we really like at far less cost.

We have had this on RCCL and we had to call for charges to be reversed. Our steward told us no problem using the frig and didn't want to unstock it. Next time we will have it emptied for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have recently returned from the Oosterdam. We received our final statement on the last night which was fine. Just received our credit card statement which was not the same final amount. it was higher. Has anyone else experienced this? We can only think that someone has added something from the mini bar which we never used. It is not a large amount but if every cabin had this amount charged Holland America would make thousands of dollars per cruise.

As suggested, contact HAL about the extra charges; people have posted about getting that resolved easily. Sometimes mistakes happen. We have been on seven HAL cruises and never experienced this, so it is not a regular thing in our experience.

Not impressed. First and last time we will cruise with them. We paid $25 a day in tips and tipped extra but never again. The service was no better than an average cruise line.

Just about all the cruise lines charge the hotel service charge, so what is exactly the issue?

Edited by Boytjie

We have recently returned from the Oosterdam. We received our final statement on the last night which was fine. Just received our credit card statement which was not the same final amount. it was higher. Has anyone else experienced this? We can only think that someone has added something from the mini bar which we never used. It is not a large amount but if every cabin had this amount charged Holland America would make thousands of dollars per cruise. Not impressed. First and last time we will cruise with them. We paid $25 a day in tips and tipped extra but never again. The service was no better than an average cruise line.[/QUOTE]

As others have said, why not call HAL first & ask what the charge was for, before assuming that HAL will automatically add erroneous charges to all Psgrs final bills & make thousands of dollars extra.. Don't you think you really are getting carried away?

I bolded your last two sentences because I'm not clear what your complaint is about the $25 in tips? By the way that is the service charge & $25 a day for two people is not that much..Every main stream cruise line & many Hotels add service charges on your final folio.. If the service was so poor why did you tip extra!

Edited by serendipity1499

We only had that happen one time and because it was a comparitively large amount (close to $100 IIRC) I called HAL. We never remove the stuff from the frig, who knows when we might want a snack, but this amount was too large for that. Turns out it was a phone call made from our cabin at 3pm; obviously we were long gone from the ship. It was taken off our final bill immediately with apologies. It's always better to get the facts first before making accusations.

Hello, sorry this happened to you but if you are from the uk are you sure it's not a higher bill due to the exchange rate being converted from dollars to pounds? As others have stated,just call HAL and ask them. Wev'e never sailed with HAL but wouldn't let something like this stop us sailing with a prfticular company again unless we weren't satisfied with responses to complaints.After all anyone can make a mistake. hope you get this resolved. Happy cruising.