So disappointed!

travelmom67

I just tried to book a Christmas cruise for our family of 4. I got as far as the payment page when an error message popped up, saying no children aged 13-17 allowed. I called Princess to find that indeed, the cruise had reached its limit of teenagers. The rep. told me that Princess tries to keep an older demographic and they could not allow me to book my 16 year old son, although my 10 year old was fine. I guess we will try another line. My kids were so excited to sail the Royal. Merry Christmas Princess!

I just tried to book a Christmas cruise for our family of 4. I got as far as the payment page when an error message popped up, saying no children aged 13-17 allowed. I called Princess to find that indeed, the cruise had reached its limit of teenagers. The rep. told me that Princess tries to keep an older demographic and they could not allow me to book my 16 year old son, although my 10 year old was fine. I guess we will try another line. My kids were so excited to sail the Royal. Merry Christmas Princess!

Try Holland America we are partial to them, we're cruising 3 wks over Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not uncommon among the lines that are not as teen oriented. They limit the capacity in certain ranges to what the programs can handle plus some overage. Makes sense in that they are not overwhelmed because they don't have the facilities some other lines do...

Now would be a good time to check out some more teen oriented lines (RCCL and NCL in my book)

First I am sorry you were not able to book your first choice of cruise. But this statement defies credibility:

The rep. told me that Princess tries to keep an older demographic and they could not allow me to book my 16 year old son, although my 10 year old was fine.

(though unfortunately some phone reps do just make up stupid stuff as they go thinking they are saying what the customer wants to hear).

There are several legitimate logistical reasons why a maximum number of children in an age group are allowed on each sailing. The number of child-size life jackets on board, and the ability to treat a limited number of pediatric patients should a serious Noro outbreak occur, are among the first and foremost. There are others which future replies may add to the list...along with continued apologies for such a ridiculous answer you received.

Every line that I'm aware of (including Disney) limits the number of kids that can be booked into any particular age group. They book what the programming can handle based on their estimate of the percentage of kids who will participate.

As above, check back right about the final payment time--people do drop out!

Every line that I'm aware of (including Disney) limits the number of kids that can be booked into any particular age group. They book what the programming can handle based on their estimate of the percentage of kids who will participate.

As above' date=' check back right about the final payment time--people do drop out![/quote']

Thank you for all of the kind advise. I was taken aback by the rep's answer, but this does make sense. I will try later to see if anything opens up. Meanwhile we can search other lines.

Thank you for all of the kind advise. I was taken aback by the rep's answer, but this does make sense. I will try later to see if anything opens up. Meanwhile we can search other lines.

Mom - If you wait until after the 90 day final payment mark (for holiday cruises), you may even get a better price too; it just depends on how well it's selling. You might even try your husband with the 16 yr. old in one cabin and you and your 10 yr. old in another IF they start limiting the available quad cabins. Good luck and don't give up yet!

Wow never heard of such a thing.

This happened to me last Christmas - they wouldn't let me book for my kids (then aged 8 and 4). It made no sense to me that the kids clubs were at capacity as the message I got said that they were not accepting children between the ages of 3 and 10, which included both my kids but they would have been in different clubs. I was lucky enough to speak to a knowledgeable rep who told me it was nothing to do with the clubs but more to do with the lifejackets - ships only carry a certain number of lifejackets designed for kids under a specific weight. Once the number of kids is reached, they stop any further bookings. Now that made sense in my case, but a teenager wouldn't need a kid's life jacket so not sure what the reason is there!

I put down a deposit and the kids were waitlisted. We weren't able to get on, but it might be worth a try?

We have encountered this before on holiday sailings. The explanation given to us was that it was based on the number of kids that can be catered for in kids club in each group, which makes sense to me, although clearly not to others here hahahah.

If each of the kids club age groups can only physically accommodate say a max of 100 kids they won't then book more than that and then have to turn people away when they arrive to check their kids in and find that the space is full. As a parent i'm fine with that and accept that if I want to do holiday cruise I need to book it well in advance - i'll typically book by Jan or Feb for a Xmas or New Years cruise in Dec of the same year.

This is why scenarios like those mentioned earlier where there is availability for a 10 year old but not a 16 year old can occur. The maximum number of teens has been reached but not yet the maximum for the 10 yo age group.

I don't think RCI impose limits (or perhaps is Carnival?), which is why you can have over 1000 kids on a cruise at one time......i'll happily take the Princess policy thanks very much :D

OP....if you can't get on this year perhaps you may like to consider placing a booking for the 2017 holidays on Royal and sailing on something else this year? Good deals should start to appear in the next few weeks and hopefully you will be able to pick up a great option on a sailing that works for your family :)

Can't believe its only 12 weeks till Xmas already! :eek:

Edited by Ando

The explanation given to us was that it was based on the number of kids that can be catered for in kids club in each group, which makes sense to me, although clearly not to others here hahahah.

It might make sense superficially but it is not the real reason. As others above have replied the age ranges for the under-18 booking categories, and the maximums for each age range, do not line up with the age groups for Pelicans, Shockwaves and Remix nor with the "maximum capacity" of the physical kid's club facilities. Princess, like the other lines mooted to have no limits on children, has the capability to add extra staff for one or all of the three groups on a sailing-by-sailing basis--and to use other venues on the ship for them. The capacity controls have nothing to do with keeping kids entertained with activities but everything to do with keeping them and their families safely and healthily accommodated throughout the cruise.

Edited by fishywood

I have been on a Carnival with over 800 kids. And I know one the cruises before ours had 1100 !! These were the first few cruises from Australia when Spirit relocated down under. Not sure if they still do that many kids or they have now introduced limits, but certainly they had no problems letting that many on once.

Edited by GandM-nq

This happened to me last Christmas - they wouldn't let me book for my kids (then aged 8 and 4). It made no sense to me that the kids clubs were at capacity as the message I got said that they were not accepting children between the ages of 3 and 10, which included both my kids but they would have been in different clubs. I was lucky enough to speak to a knowledgeable rep who told me it was nothing to do with the clubs but more to do with the lifejackets - ships only carry a certain number of lifejackets designed for kids under a specific weight. Once the number of kids is reached, they stop any further bookings. Now that made sense in my case, but a teenager wouldn't need a kid's life jacket so not sure what the reason is there!

I put down a deposit and the kids were waitlisted. We weren't able to get on, but it might be worth a try?

I for one do not believe that it is a life jacket issue. One would think that there would be enough storage space on a cruise ship to store an extra couple of hundred kids life jackets. The cost of that would be a 1 time expense.

On the other hand the cost of hiring more attendants every time they go over capacity would be a way higher expense. Just my 2 cents worth.

Theo

Mom - If you wait until after the 90 day final payment mark (for holiday cruises), you may even get a better price too; it just depends on how well it's selling. You might even try your husband with the 16 yr. old in one cabin and you and your 10 yr. old in another IF they start limiting the available quad cabins. Good luck and don't give up yet!

Just a thought but once kids are 16 they can be in a cabin away from their parents- so if you feel confident you could have the kids in one cabin and you in another.

Trish

The number of child vests makes a little sense but they don't ask for height and weight of any child. So one 6 year old can be the size of a 4 or a size of a 10 year old. Even more sometimes! Kids fluctuate in weights and sizes and if it was truly that would they ask more questions??

On another note, I never noticed just how jam packed holiday cruises are with kids! We have 2 and we normally book as soon as the cruise opens but twice we've waited to the end. We were lucky to get on!

Try the wait list if you really want to do the cruise but see where you are on the wait list so you don't get your hopes up for nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes sens from all PoVs really.

Since Princess caters to an older demographic (no slights meant/intended) everything is geared to that demo, get too many outside the target and it is a rotten time for all parties - the line, the older folks and the younger folks.

The elders will be all "what is this, the prom" and have a sour time if there were no limits.

The youngsters will be all "what is this, a mortuary" and have a sour time if there were no limits.

Princess will be all "everyone's miserable" if there were no limits.

While on an individual level it is a disappointment (as it is for the OP) at first glance, I wouldn't take the girls on any vacation that didn't gear activities towards them and have enough facilities to handle the # of participants for said activities. Just a waste of money as few things are as trying to be around as a sullen teen! Gawd, they lose their brains if the their toothbrush is facing the wrong way! ;):D

We are past the 90 day mark for Christmas cruises.