What to Do with 3 Days in England before June 16, 2017 Norwegian Fiords Cruise

KayakKat

My husband and I are flying from the U.S.A. into Heathrow on Tuesday, June 13. Since this will be on our first trip to England, we're asking for recommendations about what to do, where to stay, and how to get from London to Southhampton where we will board the ship for the 14 days cruise of the Norwegian Fiords.

My husband and I are flying from the U.S.A. into Heathrow on Tuesday, June 13. Since this will be on our first trip to England, we're asking for recommendations about what to do, where to stay, and how to get from London to Southhampton where we will board the ship for the 14 days cruise of the Norwegian Fiords.

We did this trip in June 2016. You are in for a treat. Amazingly beautiful scenery. Especially the 3 hour exit from the port of Flaam. Don't get caught in a DR and miss this sail out. Bring layered clothing, it was cool north of the arctic circle.

Now to comment on your your transportation question. We used SmithsforAirports , a private transfer company. Very reasonably priced, no lugging around luggage, door to door service. There are other private transfer services as well as train service, but we chose the private route.

I recommend staying in Salisbury. It's about halfway between Heathrow and Southampton. We stayed at the Rose and Crown and used Spire Travel for transfers.

http://www.spiretravel.co.uk/

We had special access passes so we could get beyond the ropes and up close and personal with the stones at Stonehenge, arranged through contact with English Heritage. They allow very small groups with special access before and after normal tour hours. We did both a sunrise and sunset special access event with a guide for the sunset visit.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/plan-your-visit/stone-circle-access-visits/

Must see: Stonehenge, Glastonbury Abbey and Salisbury Cathedral (dedicated in 1285). The cathedral is an easy walk from the Rose and Crown.

If it's your first trip to the UK, definitely stay in London...so many museums, shows, visit Harrods, Buckingham palace, Westminster....eat in chinatown, day trip on the Thames to Greenwich. Of course you could visit Windsor, Stonehenge, Oxford but that's for a future trip.

Honestly, I'd just take a cab to whatever hotel you choose in London...and then there are a number of ways to get to Southampton, I'd just hire a private car and be done with it.

I've done several cruises out of the UK...and, every time, I try to do something a little different pre- and/or post-cruise...

So far, I've done the following:

1) Post-cruise, rented a car and driven to Bath, Wales, Scotland, Stratford and back to London with stops along the way--8 nights

2) Gone to Canterbury for 4-5 days before cruising out of Dover.

3) Stayed a week in Cardiff, Wales pre-cruise...with the last night in Southampton.

4) Spent 9 days with a rented car touring Cornwall, Devon and Dorset before cruising out of Southampton...

5) Spent 2-5 days in London several times both pre- and post-cruise.

All were wonderful pre- or post cruise stays...but many of these really demand a bit longer time than you have. Also, it being your first time in the UK, I'd say you have to visit London and leave the others for future cruises...

For me, I always like to arrive in Southampton the night before the cruise--since getting from London, especially, can be a nightmare. In Southampton, I've always stayed at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker--since it is right by the pier...but there are a few other hotels in this area as well.

Getting from London to Southampton, the cheapest way seems always to be Southern Railway, if booked in advance has incredibly low fares between Victoria Station and Southampton...and you don't deal with a lot of that miserable London traffic.

In London, I have stayed at a lot of different hotels, including, the last few trips, the Rubens, the Mayfair and the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...all of those are 4 or 5 star places...But there is a wide variety of choices in all ranges--really depends on how you like to stay. My wife tends to like really nice hotels...and I prefer to be well-located. I think our favorite has been that Park Plaza. We had a really nice suite with a city view...and the hotel was right across the bridge from Parliament and Big Ben, about a block from the London Eye...we walked everywhere from there... Rubens is a neat old hotel across from the side of Buckingham Palace--it originally was housing for debutantes attending balls at the palace...some rooms are a bit small--ask for a larger room.

One time, we stayed at an allegedly four star hotel in Paddington during August...and found it had no air conditioning! We were miserable...Since you are going in summer, beware of this issue with some hotels...it apparently is not uncommon.

Lots to do while in London...Go see a play or musical in the West End...At Leicester Square, there's a TKTS booth with same day cut-rate show tickets. The HOHO bus tour will give you a nice overview of the city and includes a nice little boat ride under Tower Bridge. The Tower of London is an interesting visit. Go see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Take a turn on the London Eye (The large Ferris Wheel). Lots more...but you won't have that much time...

Have fun...

We are departing on a June 17, 2017 Crown Princess cruise to the Fjords and decided to spend our one pre-cruise night in Southampton proper. Still looking at transportation options from LHR to Southampton but folks on our roll call gave some good suggestions. We will do one night post-cruise at the LHR Hilton which has great access to the airport & ground transportation. Princess also has a post-cruise excursion which brings you to Stonehenge and then drops you at LHR. Since we don't fly out till the next AM, this seems a good option.

I had once considered a westbound transatlantic crossing with a three-day pre-cruise in London. When I saw everything there was to do there, I cancelled the cruise and spent a week in London instead. If you enjoy museums don't miss the stunning British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, and National Gallery, along with a side trip to see the Cutty Sark and the Royal Museums of Greenwich. This, along with Buckingham Palace, Hampton Court, London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Paliament, St. Paul's Cathedral, and the Tower of London will definitely keep you busy.

:D

I would stay tall three days in London. You might see about 5% of the city in those days if lucky

Normally I don't recommend the Hop On Hop Off Bus. But with the three days that might be a good overview of the city. They about three routes. Just stay on the bus until it completes its cycle then go back and see what interests you. They used to offer a rock and roll walking tour as part of your ticket. I enjoyed that.

Try to do things that a Londoner would do. That is ride the underground and find a good pub. I don't use the pub recommendations from guide books. I just ask the maid or the bellman where they go after work to get a pint. If you have time see a West End play. They have a half price ticket place in Leicester Square.

If you are going to see major sites I would get tickets online before leaving. This is true if you want to ride the Eye.

Below is my opinion on the most important things to see in London. Some of these items take a couple of hours. With you limited time you would have to choose carefully. Most are touristy but they are touristy for a good reason.

1. Trafalger Square with the National Art Museum and Portrait Gallery.

2. Westminister Abby

3 Tower of London

4 British Museum

5. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace (Real Touristy. But popular for reason)

6 West End Play

7. A couple of pints at a local pub

8. Piccadilly Circus (You can see it in a minute - not like it was in the early 70's)

9. Ride the underground and a traditional taxi maybe a double decker bus

10 Hop On Hop Off Bus

11 Churchill's War Rooms

12 Jack the Ripper Walking Tour (at Night)

13 The Tate

14 Harrods (Just to see it)

15 Hyde Parks see the speakers if you can

16 Just walk around the various neighborhoods Best walk is from Westminster to Trafalgar Square through the horse guards

17 London Museum (not recommended for a short trip)

18 London Eye

I would stay tall three days in London. You might see about 5% of the city in those days if lucky

Normally I don't recommend the Hop On Hop Off Bus. But with the three days that might be a good overview of the city. They about three routes. Just stay on the bus until it completes its cycle then go back and see what interests you. They used to offer a rock and roll walking tour as part of your ticket. I enjoyed that.

Try to do things that a Londoner would do. That is ride the underground and find a good pub. I don't use the pub recommendations from guide books. I just ask the maid or the bellman where they go after work to get a pint. If you have time see a West End play. They have a half price ticket place in Leicester Square.

If you are going to see major sites I would get tickets online before leaving. This is true if you want to ride the Eye.

Below is my opinion on the most important things to see in London. Some of these items take a couple of hours. With you limited time you would have to choose carefully. Most are touristy but they are touristy for a good reason.

2. Westminister Abby

3 Tower of London

4 British Museum

5. Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace (Real Touristy. But popular for reason)

6 West End Play

8. Piccadilly Circus (You can see it in a minute - not like it was in the early 70's)

10 Hop On Hop Off Bus

11 Churchill's War Rooms

13 The Tate

16 Just walk around the various neighborhoods Best walk is from Westminster to Trafalgar Square through the horse guards

18 London Eye

The bolded suggestions, we accomplished in a 3 day stay.

We will be on this cruise also but we will head straight to Southampton this time.:)

Stay in London,

Visit Camden market- an amazing place and so interesting.( a must)

Go on the London eye.

Take in a west end show.

Visit the tower of London and Buckingham Palace.

Take the hop on hop off buss.

Free museums

Have lunch in Covent Garden whist watching the entertainment.

Cruise the Thames.

2. Westminister Abby

3 Tower of London

4 British Museum

6 West End Play

10 Hop On Hop Off Bus

11 Churchill's War Rooms

13 The Tate

18 London Eye

I would add the Churchill war rooms in the basement of the treasury building. Great attraction, great man.

I would definitely stay in London. There isn't a bad suggestion among all the ones posted here. Do what interests you - museums, shopping, palaces, theater - it's all in London! Three days isn't much time in London but at least it's a start.

As far as hotels in London, decide on a few places you want to see and look for a hotel in the area. The underground it so wonderful that nearly everything is easy to get to. Most recently we stayed at the Marriott County Hall. Our room looked out on the London Eye. London hotels are expensive so be ready.

I agree with one suggestion - go to Southampton the night before. It saves the worry of watching the clock while stuck in traffic. We've stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay. It's fairly new, clean, reasonable, and very handy to the port!

We've always rented a car and driven to Southampton so don't know about car services but your roll call will have lots of ideas. Other roll call members will often have a car they want to share.

London is one of our most favorite cities - anything you do will be wonderful!

We're on the same cruise as you and have been to GB multiple times, so we now tend to go for the back roads trips and rent a car after a few days n London.

First, you have to decided what sites you want to visit; map them out, use a good guide book and then start the more formal, structured plans. So much to do and see in the immediate London area and depending on your stamina, jet lag, and comfort level for independent travel, you can easily plan tours. HoHo bus is one option, otherwise to guarantee early admittance into the most popular site, booking a full day's tour at multiple locations would be a wise decision if you're not sure you can negotiate the Tube, etc. There are multiple tour vendors with whom you can book ahead of time and they will pick up at London hotels. I've used Premium Tours and like their offerings.

Are you flying from the US in the morning, or is it a night flight? We always book a late evening flight out of BOS, arriving at LHR about 9:AM, customs/immigration, pick up our luggage and take LHR Express to Paddington where I stop at an ATM. We then walk a few blocks to our hotel in the area; sometimes the room is ready, otherwise, we leave the luggage and head out for a walk through the parks and check out restaurants/pubs for later in the evening. For this trip, we are renting a car after the second day, and heading to Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon and the Cotswolds for a few days. Then we're driving to Bournemouth for a few nights and a side trip to the Isle of Wight. The morning of the cruise, we'll drive through New Forest, stop for cream tea, and then to Southampton to board the ship.

When is your return flight scheduled to leave LHR? If it's after 3:PM consider booking a tour with transfer through Princess. Last year we were off the ship shortly after breakfast, got our luggage and boarded a coach that took us through parts of New Forest, quaint villages, a drive through Salisbury and ample time to enjoy Stonehenge, then through Windsor Great Park, and arriving at the airport with plenty of time to negotiate security, last minute shopping at the multiple duty free shops and a quick meal. Transfers done in Europe are very good.

Are you booking your own air? How about hotel?

So much to consider before you make final decisions.

Darcy

We did this trip in June 2016. You are in for a treat. Amazingly beautiful scenery. Especially the 3 hour exit from the port of Flaam. Don't get caught in a DR and miss this sail out. Bring layered clothing, it was cool north of the arctic circle.

Now to comment on your your transportation question. We used SmithsforAirports , a private transfer company. Very reasonably priced, no lugging around luggage, door to door service. There are other private transfer services as well as train service, but we chose the private route.

Smithsforairports is great. We have used their service several times.

We used the HOHO bus when we were there prior to a Baltic Cruise. Gave us a good overview of the city, (including a boat tour if I recall properly,) and we knew where we subsequently wanted to go. Art? The National Gallery. We used Rick Steeves advice in one of his books, about how to manage to see some major stuff in one visit. Great. Across the street from the National Gallery is St. Martins in the Field, for lunch in the crypt. Bring cash, if I recall; I don't think they take credit cards.

One of the great folks on these boards from the U.K. told us about a special at Buckingham Palace; there was an exhibit that particular summer of some of the Queen's gowns and jewelry to celebrate 50 years on the throne. We (wife) opted for that over the British Museum, and we weren't sorry. I believe that something similar will be offered at Windsor Castle. (Not sure about Buckingham though.) We went online to Buckingham P. website and pre-bought tickets. They were at a little shop not far from the Palace near Victoria tube station, I think.

We also used Premium Tours and again prepaid prior to leaving Canada. We were staying near the Holiday Inn that had a pick up stop for the tour. Premium did not show, but one of the guys at the hotel called and we were told to take a cab to Victoria Bus Station and would be reimbursed. We were, but were paid as a refund on our charge card. So, we were out some actual British cash (of which we had just enough to do what we wanted) which unfortunately cost the tour guide a bit of tip money. But, we got a drive with a real London cabbie in one of those ubiquitous cars. Loved it. We visited the Tower of London, had (another) boat trip on the Thames, visited Westminster Abbey along with a tour on both sides of the river, with lunch at a pub on the south side, followed by crossing Tower Bridge and ending with "tea" at Kensington Palace Orangery. We were supposed to be dropped off at our hotel, but ended up walking home. Luckily, we were at a Holiday Inn on Comwell Rd. not far from the Victoria and Albert Museum, and only a few blocks from Kensington Palace, so we did not mind the walk. (But I must say that I was not impressed with their pick up/drop off policy.) You want a guide for Westminster Abbey; there are so many small bits of interesting information about who is buried there etc. that it really enhances a visit. This was basically a whole-day tour.

Not knowing London, we booked our hotel (which include breakfast) through the cruise line (Celebrity) as well as the flights. We were picked up at Heathrow and taken to our hotel; from the hotel were were taken to Dover to pick up the ship. For sure it was more expensive (what cruise offering isn't?) but it took the worry out of getting to and from our hotel and the ship.

I hope some of this helps.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

If London is too expensive for you I've enjoyed my stays in Southampton before several cruises. Its easy to use Southampton as your base and then take the train over to Winchester or Portsmouth for the day. I've always used the bus from Heathrow out to Southampton, easy and relatively cheap.

Enjoy your cruise, Norway is spectacular

I agree with the suggestion that you spend the night before the cruise in Southhampton. As others have said traffic from London can be difficult. I have stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay. It is reasonably priced, clean, air-conditioned, and close to shopping at West Quay for anything you have forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sea Day Cruiser

Check out Cruise Critic Port of Call - Britain, a great thread for questions / answer.

I have used http://www.justairports.com (private car service) from LHR to my London hotel, price is per car, use your hotel's postal code to get a quote.

I have stayed at Park Plaza Waterloo and Premier Inn Waterloo (both within one block of each other). Walking distance to Big Ben, Westminster Abby, Hop On Hop Off bus, regular bus, tube, Parliament, London Eye, Thamas River, Waterloo train station.

I have taken the Train from the Waterloo train station to the Southampton train station then a short taxi ride (under£10) to the port.

You can also use http://www.nationalexpress.com (bus) from Victoria Coach station to Southampton Coach station then a short taxi ride (under £10) to the port. Princess uses Victoria Coach station for their London transfer (without the taxi ride).

I have also used http://www.internationalfriends.co.uk from London to Southampton and also from Southampton to London hotel. They only go on embankment and disembarkment days. They pick up and drop off from certain London hotels. A great way to see some sights along to the way to/from the port.

Edited by phabric

Having worked but not lived in London I agree with the suggestions. I know you are coming in June but for anyone in August, both Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament are open to visitors. Sadly you won't see the Queen, she moved out of London in August, but you might in June, when she holds garden parties, invited guests only in her garden. If you visit a pub ask for a half pint of real ale to try it.

A boat trip from Tower Bridge to Greenwich is a nice trip. You can visit the National Maritime Museum and there is now a cable car ride high over the River Thames which is a good experience.

If you fancy visiting the Cotswolds, traditional English landscape and countryside I know some great places to go.

The falling pound v the dollar will make things a bit cheaper so good news, not so good for us Brits, I am in the USA early next year!!