Taking 2 Weeks off school, exams coming up?

Bethany Harris

Hiya,

I am in 4th year in the Scottish education system (15 years old). I am taking 2 weeks off school and was wondering if anyone has any tips for me?

I will also be sitting my prelims (mock exams which build evidence) a month after coming back.

I am sitting exams this year. (National 5, Standard Grade, GCSE)

Thanks,

Beth X

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see that you are relatively new to CruiseCritic, so welcome aboard! But, if you are using your real name as your screen name, you might want to read the CC community guidelines on protecting your personal information -- here's part:

"It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!"

(Should you decide to change your screen name, the admins/mods can help you with that).

As to your school situation, you might want to talk to your instructors about that one. If they give you "home-school" type work to take with you, you should be able to find quiet places to study, during the day. My DH was in graduate school, when we took our first RC cruise to the Caribbean. Every day, he took his books and computer out onto the balcony to study for a couple of hours. That worked out well, for him.

Best of luck, and happy cruising!

Edited by wwcruisers

It is all about values. If you really value your education would you be considering taking off two weeks for a cruise?

Actually, my father works away from home in another country and I only get to see him for a month every year. His work selects when he can take holidays and this was when it was selected. I do value my education but I also value spending time with my father who does everything for us. If I didn't value my education I wouldn't be asking this question.

I see that you are relatively new to CruiseCritic, so welcome aboard! But, if you are using your real name as your screen name, you might want to read the CC community guidelines on protecting your personal information -- here's part:

"It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!"

(Should you decide to change your screen name, the admins/mods can help you with that).

As to your school situation, you might want to talk to your instructors about that one. If they give you "home-school" type work to take with you, you should be able to find quiet places to study, during the day. My DH was in graduate school, when we took our first RC cruise to the Caribbean. Every day, he took his books and computer out onto the balcony to study for a couple of hours. That worked out well, for him.

Best of luck, and happy cruising!

Thank you for the help! [emoji1]x

Taking 2 weeks from school for a cruise is setting yourself up for some real problems in the future. And these problems won't actually have anything to do will school.

Please see posts 5 and 6. Beth gave a good explanation, and wwcruisers gave good advice. There are families who take their children and teens with them on world cruises. If Beth is consulting with her teachers, and intends to keep up with her studies while she cruises, I don't see a problem.

FWIW, here is my shilling's worth:

It would be very easy for you to lose track of time while onboard, with all of the activities and distractions. I would suggest that you dedicate several hours each day, on a schedule, to your studies. You know how much time you need - now it just takes the discipline to stick to it.

If, and it's a big if, you can make and keep to a schedule for your studies, it should work out fine. In fact, I remember a trans-Atlantic crossing where a fellow was at his laptop everyday in the library. He was working on a book and said that it was the best way for him to eliminate the distractions that kept occuring at home. He had stewards keep supplying him with coffee and snacks. I saw him on the last day and he said he got more accomplished than during a month at home.

Remember....the key word is....discipline.

Hiya,

I am in 4th year in the Scottish education system (15 years old). I am taking 2 weeks off school and was wondering if anyone has any tips for me?

I will also be sitting my prelims (mock exams which build evidence) a month after coming back.

I am sitting exams this year. (National 5, Standard Grade, GCSE)

Thanks,

Beth X

My tip would be to treat it the same way as if you missed two weeks because you were ill. Which means, do nothing about it and enjoy the holiday. Life will go on.

The only exception is if you're having to bust a gut to get a vital bundle of A*s. Which at GCSE level, is unlikely. If the exams have any significance in the end result, then perhaps your teachers could put in a word for you like they would if you were ill.

If you have a good handle on your studies and can continue your work on your own, you'll be fine. If not...stay in school and do what you need to do to get your life off on the right foot. Plenty of time for a vacation/holiday later!

If you have a good handle on your studies and can continue your work on your own, you'll be fine. If not...stay in school and do what you need to do to get your life off on the right foot. Plenty of time for a vacation/holiday later!

Don't listen. Anyone ever tells you that school is all-important and family life means nothing, ignore them. I promise you, you will never regret spending two weeks with your father that you could have spent in school.

Don't listen. Anyone ever tells you that school is all-important and family life means nothing, ignore them. I promise you, you will never regret spending two weeks with your father that you could have spent in school.
BS

If the exams determine what schools and future you may have for the rest of your life, it is a VERY serious question to consider. Only you can determine the cost/benefit analysis of your choices.

I would also think that your father would want the best decision for your future as well.

Now, for non-life changing events, that's a different matter. But if this is a game changer for where you go down the road, give it plenty of serious thought.

And for those who think differently, try this hypothetical: A specific test will determine if you go to either Harvard or Podunk U. You can either devote time to the test or do another activity. Do you still think that devoting time to the test doesn't matter?

Talk with your teachers, explain the situation, I'm sure they will give you the best guidance.

Check to see what paperwork your school requires for you to be gone two-plus weeks.

Our school district required some forms. The teachers provided the lesson plans (handouts or pages from the texts). One teacher had DD check the school website. She couldn't log in from Italy. She had to do the work when she got home. If you're planning on using the Internet on the HI cruise you will have lousy internet the middle two sea days going to and returning from the Islands.

We copied everything given by the teachers and left the originals at home. We even copied the answer keys from some of her books. Didn't want to lose the books and saved lots of weight. Could even go so far as uploading your completed work onto the Internet (cloud etc) to prevent loss.

Do not let others naysay you. We took DD out of school the second and third week of her Junior (second to last year) of high school when she was 16. If you're a diligent student it won't effect your grades etc.

Assuming this is for HI? Gatsby's Garden on Promenade (deck 3) forward is very quiet and never crowded.

Edited by SadieN

Bethany: as all save one of the persons responding to this thread are from outside the UK I suggest posting this on the UK Cruisers board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

so as to receive responses from members that are familiar with your educational system and where exactly you are in it. Possibly some parents from the UK that took their children on long cruises during the school year can give you a good perspective.

BS

If the exams determine what schools and future you may have for the rest of your life, it is a VERY serious question to consider. Only you can determine the cost/benefit analysis of your choices.

I would also think that your father would want the best decision for your future as well.

Now, for non-life changing events, that's a different matter. But if this is a game changer for where you go down the road, give it plenty of serious thought.

And for those who think differently, try this hypothetical: A specific test will determine if you go to either Harvard or Podunk U. You can either devote time to the test or do another activity. Do you still think that devoting time to the test doesn't matter?

I agree with this. IF this possibly screws up the rest of her life she should not go. She should consult with her educational advisors before she makes a decision and if they say don't do it, then don't. Unless dad is dying, then he too can wait another year. Her lifetime education is much more important.

Bethany Go on the cruise and enjoy (maybe fit some revision for a couple of hours when you can or stick to a schedule). They are mocks and therefore will have no relevance to your future whatsoever, other than to give you and indication of how much work you will need to put in for the real thing (good luck wirh it all).

At 15 life is for living - go enjoy the time with your dad. If your parents are happy ro take you it means they believe you will be just fine in your academic studies.

Bethany -

I am from the US and my sister has taken her teenagers out of school several times to go on 10+ day cruises.

With conversations with the school leaders and teachers she has not had major troubles. Her kids had to do homework and keep journals. But overall this travel was seen as a life experience.

Enjoy the time. Relax and spend time with your Dad.

Make study cards to take with you, dedicate a couple of hours a day to revise and also relax.....a break from studying is good to refresh you....post it notes with study notes around the cabin will also help with learning ....enjoy x

Do not let others naysay you. We took DD out of school the second and third week of her Junior (second to last year) of high school when she was 16. If you're a diligent student it won't effect your grades etc.

The British secondary education system and university application process is a LOT different from ours in the U.S. Exam results mean a lot more over there than they do here, and they're not like exams American students take like mid-terms and finals.

Having said that, if Bethany can make up a study schedule and stick to it, missing two weeks of school might not matter to her exam results.