What happens to unspent OBC?

The Other Tom

OBC that Princess gives you is not refunded. OBC from outside sources is refunded. The non-refundable OBC seems to be used up first and charges come in.

Not exactly accurate info as Military benefit OBC that Princess gives you is FULLY refundable. I speak from firsthand experience with this one. You receive a check in the mail about 2-3 weeks after the end of your cruise.

Shareholder benefit, loyalty benefit and future cruise certificate OBC is NOT refundable.

Edited by fjordster

OBC that Princess gives you is not refunded. OBC from outside sources is refunded. The non-refundable OBC seems to be used up first and charges come in.
As fjordster posted, not quite true. Also, OBC from a TA is typically not refundable. OBC from Princess that is part of a move over offer or provided a compensation to resolve an issue is typically refundable. If you look at your Travel Summary the non refundable OBC will be identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your on board account will list all your OBC, and will show which is refundable and which is not. The on board accounting system uses non refundable OBC first. Check your account after you board. Refundable OBC is returned by check around 3 to 6 weeks after disembarkation.

Refundable OBC left under $50 can be cashed out. Over $50 they will mail you a cheque within about 20 business days .

Have you received a cash refund up to $50? I ask because in April the PSD staff said cash refunds had to be less than $25. Thus we received our refund by check (return address was from Bottomline & at first thought it was junk mail).

Things have obviously changed because a few cruises back we had leftover OBC from my husband's military benefit and they gave him cash - $250. We did not have to wait for a check in the mail.

I had $135 of remaining veterans credit in April & it was refunded by check because the PSD staff said it was more than $25 which they could have refunded in cash at the end of the cruise.

Changed about 12 months ago.

As fjordster posted, not quite true. Also, OBC from a TA is typically not refundable. OBC from Princess that is part of a move over offer or provided a compensation to resolve an issue is typically refundable. If you look at your Travel Summary the non refundable OBC will be identified.

OBC that is really from a TA is refundable.

However, most OBC listed as from a TA is really from Princess and is provided to the TA to give to the passenger because of group bookings the TA has. In that case, the OBC, even if listed as being from a TA, is not refundable.

Unspent OBC what is that ?? My wife has all my OBC spent while I'm filling out the medical form at the pier.

Tony

I always thought "unspent OBC" was an oxymoron until we received $400 OBC from Princess due to an issue on a prior cruise. With other OBC on the cruise we had about $125 remaining. That was a couple of years ago and the gave us the cash on the last night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OBC that is really from a TA is refundable.

However, most OBC listed as from a TA is really from Princess and is provided to the TA to give to the passenger because of group bookings the TA has. In that case, the OBC, even if listed as being from a TA, is not refundable.

Thanks for clarifying. I should have added as you did that often OBC from TA's is from group bookings. I imagine some TA's may give OBC rather than reducing their price and that should be refundable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums