Where are the Nikon Enthusiasts??

Count me among Nikon the Nikon users. Used to shoot a Canon AE-1 in the film days but got a kit deal on my first DSLR before a SA cruise around the Horn (Nikon D-5000 - which, by the way, has this amazing fully rotatable display - I still have it somewhere along with some cool dedicated APSC sensor glass like the Sigma f3.5 10-20mm and Sigma f3.5-6.3 18-250mm macro). That kit now collects dust since I moved full-frame to a Nikon D750 - it's an absolute dream! I have an f2.8 Tamron 24-70mm as my every day lens along with a Sigma f1.8 85mm prime for portraits and my gimmick lens is the behemoth Sigma f4.5-6.3 50-500mm - that's for shooting those whales off the balcony while monopod mounted because there's no way I'm lugging that beast for any distance.

I'm looking at a fixed-focal (f2.8) ~70-200mm as well and will likely match my Tamron (given the Nikkor price point) as soon as the Di VC USD G2 comes out.

Like many others I'm not married to Nikon except that it would cost too much to replace the glass if I changed mounts. The D750, however, is VERY yummy!

Getting ready for our South Africa trip. Purchased my first full frame sensor cameras, Nikon d810 and Nikon d750. Purchased two 28mm-300mm nikon lenses to go with them. Then for added pleasure I purchased a Tamron 150mm-600mm G2. Man is this s*** heavy! Also bringing my go pro for a shark cage dive in Gainsbaai, and possibly a Crocodile Cage dive in Victoria Falls. Off to search for a lighter tripod/monopod that will fit inside of my camera bag. Probably carbon fiber.

Getting ready for our South Africa trip. Purchased my first full frame sensor cameras, Nikon d810 and Nikon d750. Purchased two 28mm-300mm nikon lenses to go with them. Then for added pleasure I purchased a Tamron 150mm-600mm G2. Man is this s*** heavy! Also bringing my go pro for a shark cage dive in Gainsbaai, and possibly a Crocodile Cage dive in Victoria Falls. Off to search for a lighter tripod/monopod that will fit inside of my camera bag. Probably carbon fiber.

You're well prepared for wildlife -- but you are poorly prepared for the stunning landscapes.

I'd really suggest either the Nikon 14-24, 16-35, 18-35, or Sigma 12-24, or Tamron 15-30, or the Rokinon 14/2.8, or the Venus 12/2.8.

You're well prepared for wildlife -- but you are poorly prepared for the stunning landscapes.

I'd really suggest either the Nikon 14-24, 16-35, 18-35, or Sigma 12-24, or Tamron 15-30, or the Rokinon 14/2.8, or the Venus 12/2.8.

I didn't want to blather on. I am bringing 2 additional Nikon bodies, cropped sensor, and two Tamron

10mm-24mm lenses for some wider shots. I use a Black Rapid Yeti dual camera strap and carry one camera with a longer lens and one camera with a wider lens. I take multiple shots in a portrait orientation with the d810 for panoramas and use a stitching program.

I have other little toys I may bring such as a Movo Panoramic Time Lapse head, a dome port and a three axis gimbal for my GoPro. Hard to figure out what to bring and what to leave home. Thank goodness the airlines do not weigh carry on luggage.

I am very fortunate that my wife allows me to keep any money that I earn from working over time. I work a lot of over time. I also scuba dive and that equipment isn't cheap either. By the way, the D750 is what my wife uses.

hi to everyone

just thought i would like to say that i am awaiting delivery of a NIKON D3200. i have bought it off ebay. the guy said he bought a year ago ,but never used it much. i had a SAMSUNG WB1100 DSLR, but i fancied a change. i am only a ameteur just like to take pics on my walks and holidays. we are sailing to the caribbean in dec, all being well, its our 70ths and golden wedding, so i shall be taking it with us, once i have read the manual!!!!.

Congrats on the new Nikon! Also be sure to practice, practice, practice before you go. Take pix of everything so you get used to how your camera handles. You want to be comfortable with it when you start the cruise so you can quickly snap those money shots that pop up without notice!

You may be "over-ready." On our safari across Tanzania and Kenya we rode in safari vehicles and flew in small single and twin prop aircraft. Flying we had a weight limit of 20lbs for overnight - luggage was transported by truck. And, the vehicles and aircraft are small... I took a 300mm in addition to the then 18-200mm I owned and rarely used the 300mm. Almost all the great wildlife I shot was close. Have exceptional images of lions blown up to 20-24 on my walls where you can count the hairs on their faces. Lions "mating" 75 feet away. Beautiful cheetah sitting and watching us maybe 50 feet away. A White Rino you could touch. Elephants and giraffes crossing the road in front of the vehicle. 324,612 zebra and wildebeest, singles and in huge herds. The range of the zoom made these shots happen. All my equipment fit into a small nylon carrying case. Shot over 5,000 images - if I went today that number would likely triple. Do recommend extra memory cards, liberal use of the motor drive (I always shoot in "low" and change to "fast" (7fps) as warranted) and a camera dust cover (a real problem crossing the Serengeti - had to have the camera cleaned by Nikon afterwards).

Edited by Globehoppers

You may be "over-ready." On our safari across Tanzania and Kenya we rode in safari vehicles and flew in small single and twin prop aircraft.

Your trip sounds awesome! If we can experience just half of that I would be happy. I've checked and we are flying in Africa on larger South African Airlines planes. The longer lens (150mm-600mm) is for birds, plus, many safari guides suggest bringing the longest lenses that you are able. My wife and I are going to a safari park in New Jersey in a few months in order to hone our skills prior to our trip

We also have photos of our travels printed on canvas (20"x30") and on metallic Fujifilm paper on the walls of our home and offices at work.The metallic prints have a real depth to them, especially my underwater photos. Good luck on your next adventure.

Just bought a D3400 a few months ago (and laughed myself silly to see that they kept the bulge on the right side that used to be necessary to hold the film cassette

A tiny technical note...;)

The "bulge" was never necessary for the film cassette. The bulge started appearing on Nikons and other film cameras in the early '80s as a tiny bump to enhance grip. A few years later, it was expanded to accommodate the increasingly common built-in motor drives the and larger batteries needed to power them. Users liked the enhanced grip with a better shutter release placement and the design stuck. Nowadays, the grip is not only an ergonomic feature but is still used to hold the large batteries needed to power those tiny supercomputers that take up all the room that film used to waste.

Enjoy your new camera...bulge and all! :)

Dave

FWIW, There is no motor drive in any modern DSL camera. A few Nikons do still have a sml focusing motor and something to flip the shutter I'd guess a solenoid. Motor drives were to transport film through your camera.

framer

I own a few of those vertical grips on my DSLRs.... While there is no motor drive....

• it makes it easier to hold the camera when taking vertical shots
  • it increases the continuous frame rates on some models
  • allows me to use affordable AA batteries as backup.... no need to be concerned about dead batteries or time lost in a swap.

• 4 weeks later...
I own a few of those vertical grips on my DSLRs.... While there is no motor drive....

• it makes it easier to hold the camera when taking vertical shots
  • it increases the continuous frame rates on some models
  • allows me to use affordable AA batteries as backup.... no need to be concerned about dead batteries or time lost in a swap.

Same with my Canon gear.

Big hands, the grip helps, love being able to use AAs if needed.

Just announced.... D7500.

Appreciate these interesting videos and info on the new Nikon D7500. As an owner of a Nikon D7200, I am very happy with this current camera. Not sure that I am ready to spend the money and make the change. Dropping the double SD card slots would NOT be a plus for me. Sorry!! Like having that extra back-up storing capability. Personal preference! The tilt screen is interesting, but not sure that I would use this feature that much. Great to have choices and options!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 2 weeks later...

I could use some advice. I bought a D3400 a few months ago with 2 zooms, 18-55 and 70-300. I have been drooling over the zooms like the Tamron 16-300 that some of you have posted about (would LOVE to have one lens that covers the whole range!), but didn't think I could afford it. We came into a little money unexpectedly and I think I could talk DH into letting me spend a few hundred on a lens, but I want to make sure it will work with the D3400's auto features (focus, shutter speed, aperture setting). Going to Alaska next month so it will spend a lot of time at the long end. What would you recommend?

Edited by mamasylvia

I could use some advice. I bought a D3400 a few months ago with 2 zooms, 18-55 and 70-300. I have been drooling over the zooms like the Tamron 16-300 that some of you have posted about (would LOVE to have one lens that covers the whole range!), but didn't think I could afford it. We came into a little money unexpectedly and I think I could talk DH into letting me spend a few hundred on a lens, but I want to make sure it will work with the D3400's auto features (focus, shutter speed, aperture setting). Going to Alaska next month so it will spend a lot of time at the long end. What would you recommend?

The Tamron 16-300 F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD for Nikon will work on the D3400. Usually, the compatibility issues are with older lenses that use a screw drive powered by a motor in the camera (which the D3400 doesn't have). The "PZD" in the Tamron's model name means it has the focusing motor in the lens, which will work fine with the D3400.

Dave

You can pick up a used Nikon Nikkor 18-200 DX for about $300 or so. It will work fine with the D3400. It is a decent walk-around lens.

The Nikon 18-200 (and 18-300) lenses aren't just decent. They are excellent, as long as you have realistic expectations, meaning don't try to print poster-size copies. I've had both, and only recently gone for the newer 18-300.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also found a 500mm mirror for $93. (NOT A TYPO!) The reviews boil down to "pretty good for the price." I'll probably get that too. Then I'll need a new camera bag because all these lenses won't fit in my current one ... lol

Too bad we won't be on the same cruise, we could get different lenses and try each other's!

I also found a 500mm mirror for $93. (NOT A TYPO!) The reviews boil down to "pretty good for the price." I'll probably get that too. Then I'll need a new camera bag because all these lenses won't fit in my current one ... lol

Too bad we won't be on the same cruise, we could get different lenses and try each other's!

Not sure of your brand, but I've got one I paid similar for, it's not a bad lens.

Now I too need a new camera bag, especially for my next cruise.