Uh-Oh...Hoping this Room Service Breakfast Menu change is not going fleet wide?

kazu

Unless they make another major change to the just posted 24 Hour room service menu the fruit situation can be accomplished by ordering the Fruit Salad and maybe helpful with respect to eggs is the Open Faced Omelet (w/ham & cheese or vegetarian).

Ruth hopefully you will be able to put something together for that disembarkation day breakfast as you are so correct going to the Lido, which can be azoo, is just no fun.

Mid morning on every sea day, carry several large zip lock bags to the Lido to fill will enough bagels and cream cheese to last until the next sea day and stuff them in the mini fridge. Although some pax may be annoyed when I empty the bagel tray.

Ruth hopefully you will be able to put something together for that disembarkation day breakfast as you are so correct going to the Lido, which can be azoo, is just no fun.

Thank you. I'm sure I'll figure something that works for me, as I am quite resourceful.

The sadness is that I shouldn't have to figure something out to solve the problem. I have gotten used to HAL being a certain way, and have worked around whatever little problems there may have been, because the greater experience has been so superior. It's the fact that HAL is now making so many negative changes, diminishing the experience so much, that HAL as I knew it is going out of existence.

Per my conversation with our HAL PCC today, the Room Service Breakfast menu is going fleetwide. Also learned of new Room Service options from the Pinnacle Grill coming, too.

Thanks for the update. By fleetwide did the PCC mention if it will be all ships, all cabin categories or all ships, select cabin categories?

Room service options from the PG menu indicates to me that we are most likely witnessing a gradual shift from complimentary 24 hour room service to a room service offering a la carte pricing only.

I wish I had of paid closer attention on my mini-cruise last week on the NA. We only ordered breakfast on the last night before disembarkation. I do remember it was folded and had Neptune suite on the top of it and offered Mimosas but can't remember if there was a charge for that.

We are going on the Westerdam next week to Mexico so I will pay closer attention.

I wish I had of paid closer attention on my mini-cruise last week on the NA. We only ordered breakfast on the last night before disembarkation. I do remember it was folded and had Neptune suite on the top of it and offered Mimosas but can't remember if there was a charge for that.

We are going on the Westerdam next week to Mexico so I will pay closer attention.

Mimosas are supposed to be free to Neptune & Pinnacle Suites on the room service menu. That should remain the case unless HAL is taking away an amenity from those cabin categories.

if it was folded, that's the new one. The old one was flat and long--had to be long, it had all those choices! :rolleyes:

We just returned Monday evening from Oosterdam. No change to Room Service breakfast! We were in an SS Category. We ordered every morning except one Sea Day when we called it in. Breakfast was always served hot, very good and not only on time but 15 minutes early! We were able to write in items, too!

We eat dinner in MDR or Pinnacle but I saw someone mention about Lido Dinner hours. On the Oosterdam the On Location listed Lido open for Dinner from 6 pm - 9 pm. Late Snack: 10:30 pm - 11:30 pm.

We'll be on Koningsdam for the TA on 24th! Fingers crossed as we plan on writing in items!

Without sounding like a glutton... can we do a room service BF (Continental) as well as a real breakfast at the Lido or MD after we get moving? You see.. I'm a breakfast Med/diabetic as well?

Yes. You could have two full breakfasts if you want! :)

Every time one of you gets the "new" breakfast card, write in exactly what you wanted that was on the "old" breakfast card. Maybe, if enough did this, HAL would walk back the change. Or, at least you are making more work for the breakfast culinary team...

Just a clueless thought and probably wrong but could all of this just be Maasdam on a lengthy cruise conserving supplies between lengthy re supply ports?

Other than pay for special offers?

I don't think so since..

a) we did a lengthy cruise just a few short months ago and had a full breakfast menu. We have done others and never seen the room service menu change for breakfast.

B). Dave (RetiredMustang) reported that the menu changed suddenly mid cruise

C). Crew News has reported that it will be fleet wide

And d) this is what was already being done on the Kongingsdam from CC member reports.

Your idea is good, but if they need to conserve they would do the same at breakfast in the MDR and Lido - we saw no evidence of that despite missing rots other than a lack of bananas.

Mimosas are supposed to be free to Neptune & Pinnacle Suites on the room service menu. That should remain the case unless HAL is taking away an amenity from those cabin categories.

It's funny because it was the first time I noticed Mimosas and asked my friend if she wanted one jokingly! I'm sure I would have noticed and remembered if there was a price on it but maybe that's why I don't remember-free for Neptune suites. I just kick myself as when I travel with my husband I take lots of photos but this girls cruise I didn't.

I don't think so since..

a) we did a lengthy cruise just a few short months ago and had a full breakfast menu. We have done others and never seen the room service menu change for breakfast.

B). Dave (RetiredMustang) reported that the menu changed suddenly mid cruise

C). Crew News has reported that it will be fleet wide

And d) this is what was already being done on the Kongingsdam from CC member reports.

Your idea is good, but if they need to conserve they would do the same at breakfast in the MDR and Lido - we saw no evidence of that despite missing rots other than a lack of bananas.

Good points and it was just a unfounded thought. I was thinking of a picture Copper posted of the empty stores on the Amsterdam after missing a port on the World Cruise. Thanks.

It's to bad, the breakfast room service menu was one of the few things we liked about HAL. It was great being able to get a full hot breakfast on debarkation day.

Once we discovered it we had breakfast in the cabin every morning.

I hope as we go forward, we can get a sense of how widespread the new room service breakfast tag is being implemented. If the regulars would post when they are on a ship of their experience, we might be able to determine HAL's intentions.

Thanks!

It's to bad, the breakfast room service menu was one of the few things we liked about HAL. It was great being able to get a full hot breakfast on debarkation day.

Once we discovered it we had breakfast in the cabin every morning.

You still can get a full hot breakfast, it's just that it's not as custom-order oriented.

I don't like the change either, but from some of the posts here you would think HAL had COMPLETELY removed any free hot breakfast options, which is not the case. They have just become much more limited in their nature.

You still can get a full hot breakfast, it's just that it's not as custom-order oriented.

I don't like the change either, but from some of the posts here you would think HAL had COMPLETELY removed any free hot breakfast options, which is not the case. They have just become much more limited in their nature.

Of course you can still get a hot breakfast - IF any of those things appeal to you ;).

And some of us like fruit too, etc.

Oh well, time will tell I guess. :)

Of course you can still get a hot breakfast - IF any of those things appeal to you ;).

And some of us like fruit too, etc.

Oh well, time will tell I guess. :)

"Sliced Fruit" is part of the continental Breakfast, so still available, however WHAT fruit you will get is a mystery - most likely cantaloupe and honeydew.

I think the new menu is designed primarily to streamline the kitchen process, while reducing the possibility for incorrect/incomplete orders - a routine problem for cruise ship room service orders.

If HAL were to add a few simple items - toasted bagel with cream cheese, a fruit plate, half grapefruit, boiled eggs, and perhaps the ability to select they style of egg on the "classic" breakfast I think it would go a long way to being a compromise between a highly customized menu and this new very restrictive menu. Many people only want a light bite in the am and having to order a whole continental breakfast just to get fruit is wasteful. For me I just want a couple of croissants and coffee first thing, then I shower and head out for a "proper" breakfast in the Lido or MDR. Others just want a boiled egg or two, or a bagel, etc.

The extra fee items are a trend we are seeing across all the mainstream lines, and it is a slippery slope I am not personally a fan of. While many of the extra fee items often represent something not previously available via room service it also opens the door for more and more for-fee items to replace previously free offerings.

They are obviously sending a signal to passengers that if they want more choice for breakfast that they need to go to the MDR or Lido. As we have seen thus far it is a signal that many HAL loyalists do NOT like.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

<snip>

. "Sliced Fruit" is part of the continental Breakfast, so still available, however WHAT fruit you will get is a mystery - most likely cantaloupe and honeydew.

I think the new menu is designed primarily to streamline the kitchen process, while reducing the possibility for incorrect/incomplete orders - a routine problem for cruise ship room service orders.

If HAL were to add a few simple items - toasted bagel with cream cheese, a fruit plate, half grapefruit, boiled eggs, and perhaps the ability to select they style of egg on the "classic" breakfast I think it would go a long way to being a compromise between a highly customized menu and this new very restrictive menu. Many people only want a light bite in the am and having to order a whole continental breakfast just to get fruit is wasteful. For me I just want a couple of croissants and coffee first thing, then I shower and head out for a "proper" breakfast in the Lido or MDR. Others just want a boiled egg or two, or a bagel, etc.

I believe your suggestion would solve a lot of the issues ;)

I suspect that the absence of a boiled or fried egg option might be that they are looking to use primarily pasteurized egg product rather than whole eggs. It travels and stores better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If enough pax write in requests for small items like bagels with cream cheese, they hopefully will be added to the new menus.

It's certainly worth a try. Your comment makes me wonder if they did any research before changing the menu. Did they keep track of what people were asking for, or did they just make a list of the things that were easiest for the kitchen?

Also write one of those "how are we doing?" cards to suggest a few items that could be added. And definitely mention it on the post-cruise survey.

I suspect that the absence of a boiled or fried egg option might be that they are looking to use primarily pasteurized egg product rather than whole eggs. It travels and stores better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good example of what I mean by "easiest for the kitchen."

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder