Uh-Oh...Hoping this Room Service Breakfast Menu change is not going fleet wide?

kazu

We fully aware that there is no charge for delivery.

My point was that we WOULD be willing to pay for it there was a charge. Nor would we have any issue paying an upcharge for food. We still have a choice.....go to the MDR. The upcharge would not be such a big deal IF it an improved product in other areas of the ship.

I highly suspect that all of the mass market cruise lines are moving to a user pay system for many things that were previously gratis. It is a way for them to either increase revenue or keep fares down.

We are fine with this as long as the quality of the basics does not deteriorate further.

Edited by iancal

On Princess, the only hot offering was their version of Egg McMuffin.

On Royal Caribbean, we'd order eggs, bran muffins, prunes, coffee, etc. They'd bring four trays, a couple plates on each one. We got the impression they were all plated in advance, and the room service people just grabbed the plates.

On Holland, they would bring pretty much the same thing on one large tray.

We use room service breakfast for scenic cruising days and also wake-up calls for port days. And we always tip them. If they're fast, they get double tips. I think they learn fast who tips, so they deliver to them first.

Edited by knittinggirl

We fully aware that there is no charge for delivery.

My point was that we WOULD be willing to pay for it there was a charge. Nor would we have any issue paying an upcharge for food. We still have a choice.....go to the MDR. The upcharge would not be such a big deal IF it an improved product in other areas of the ship.

I highly suspect that all of the mass market cruise lines are moving to a user pay system for many things that were previously gratis. It is a way for them to either increase revenue or keep fares down.

We are fine with this as long as the quality of the basics does not deteriorate further.

Bolding is mine. Get your point, but you can't go to the MDR if it isn't open. Only time we use room service is for very early port days ;) when MDR does not open in time.

On Princess, the only hot offering was their version of Egg McMuffin.

On Royal Caribbean, we'd order eggs, bran muffins, prunes, coffee, etc. They'd bring four trays, a couple plates on each one. We got the impression they were all plated in advance, and the room service people just grabbed the plates.

On Holland, they would bring pretty much the same thing on one large tray.

We use room service breakfast for scenic cruising days and also wake-up calls for port days. And we always tip them. If they're fast, they get double tips. I think they learn fast who tips, so they deliver to them first.

I think you may be right. Our breakfast is always delivered very early and we do tip ;)

Can you give examples of these cruise lines? Thanks.

Sure -- the two I like are Voyages to Antiquity (one ship of about 350 passengers) and Swan Hellenic (their Minerva also carries about 350 passengers).

As I said, they are not necessarily "luxurious" by the standards of modern cruiseline luxury. But they come close to replicating the experience I loved when I first started cruising in the 1970s (Sitmar primarily.....:)).

I know some HAL regulars have tried other lines and returned to HAL. But for me, the things I like most are just not addressed on the mass market lines any longer -- at least, not on most ships. I'd still like to try Prinsendam....

Prinsendam is experiencing the same "evolution"; still, her size, character and itineraries do set her apart (above) from the rest of the HAL fleet. You should give her a try.

In the big scheme of things, that upcharge for certain room service items is not really such a big deal.

The revenue has to come from somewhere. Same issue with corkage fees. We don't like it but we understand. I think that the cruise lines are trying to raise the basic cruise fares by doing in such as way as not to impact everyone-only those who avail themselves of certain services.

It is easy to say raise the fare. But if other lines are not doing this it becomes a competitive issue.

Besides, a really good way to find out if someone really wants something that is currently free is to start charging them. I worked in an industry where we did this at one point. It was surprising how many said that they would not pay for the service because they did not see the value.

Maybe HAL should simply get in the game and keep Lido hours that are in line with what the other mass market cruise lines do. Then it might not be such an issue for those with early tours. One of pet dislikes with HAL is the Lido hours-most especially dinner hours that seem to effectively end at 7:30 for an 8PM closing.

Are other meals not like dinner where we can order from the dining room menu? I know the cards had a different selection and it could be timed for a certain delivery. But, can we not call room service in the morning and order whatever we want?

IF the MDR is open. ;)

Maybe HAL should simply get in the game and keep Lido hours that are in line with what the other mass market cruise lines do. Then it might not be such an issue for those with early tours. One of pet dislikes with HAL is the Lido hours-most especially dinner hours that seem to effectively end at 7:30 for an 8PM closing.

Wasn't that long ago there was no PG and the Lido was open only for staff for dinner.

I still say that at some point only the Lido will be included and the MDR will be chopped into multiple surcharge venues. Just a guess but as cruise prices drop revenue has to come from somewhere.

Your examples of cutbacks are interesting. I'm not sure about the tai chi, but religious services, the library, the dance hosts do not generate revenue. Seems HAL is paraphrasing the old news mantra of "if it bleeds, it leads."

If it pays it stays.

And it isn't just HAL. It seems the industry is diverging. Some lines are cutting "free" items or charging for things that used to be included. Other high-price lines are all-inclusive or more inclusive than HAL/RC/Celeb, etc. For a long time, I've been aware of the difference in price between Cunard and HAL. I've also noticed differences in the experience onboard. Cunard wins on amount of space each passenger gets (deck space, lounges, even the space between tables in the dining room), the quality of the enrichment program, the dance hosts, the library. Those costs have to be covered somehow, and the higher price is how they do it.

As for the suite mimosas, with what they charge for NS and PS, I think those passengers have pre-paid for them.

Those example were taken from the thread "How to ruin a cruise line."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51253279#post51253279

See post #143 & 148.

As long as we know what the various upcharges are we can add them to what we expect to pay for a cruise and compare it in a similar manner to other cruise offerings.

It's is the bottom line for what we want that matters to us. Once we have that, we then compare the ships/cruise lines on our short list. No different for us when something like Explore 4 is added. We calculate the value to us based on what are the usual charges than this program will preclude us from incurring vs. the value that the cruise line may assign to the package.

So if my HAL cruise costs $5K door to door what does it matter if the cabin fare is $4K and the extras are $1K. Bottom line is the same. We want the choice to pay more certain items instead of the mandatory choice by the cruise line, any of them, to reduce customer services or quality of the food. That is why we would have no issue paying a few bucks for room service or the smoked salmon bagel should we really want it.

We had the same menu on my recent Koningsdam cruise. I did write in a few things (oatmeal, english muffin) a few times and did receive them. Forgot to write my displeasure with the new menu on the survey.....

Wa there a charge for items that were written in and not on the menu?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jade13

Darn about the new menu :( I really dislike the way things are combined but can see the operational advantages it offers. I hate the idea that ordering the breakfast I want will result in some food being thrown out, since I won't eat it :(

On a happier note, $3.95 for a mimosa? Pretty inexpensive! Nice for those of us who don't usually travel in NSs that we can buy a "Neptune perk" for so little cost :)

As long as we know what the various upcharges are we can add them to what we expect to pay for a cruise and compare it in a similar manner to other cruise offerings.

It's is the bottom line for what we want that matters to us. Once we have that, we then compare the ships/cruise lines on our short list. No different for us when something like Explore 4 is added. We calculate the value to us based on what are the usual charges than this program will preclude us from incurring vs. the value that the cruise line may assign to the package.

So if my HAL cruise costs $5K door to door what does it matter if the cabin fare is $4K and the extras are $1K. Bottom line is the same. We want the choice to pay more certain items instead of the mandatory choice by the cruise line, any of them, to reduce customer services or quality of the food. That is why we would have no issue paying a few bucks for room service or the smoked salmon bagel should we really want it.

I am more than willing to pay for my bagel; I just want the option of ordering it!

That's the way we look at it to. Things change all the time. We order room service often and we will simply write what we want if it comes to that. I doubt if this will bother most cruisers. It seems that any change for some of those on cruise critic is the end of the world.

Edited by cruise_tyme_2016

Darn about the new menu :( I really dislike the way things are combined but can see the operational advantages it offers. I hate the idea that ordering the breakfast I want will result in some food being thrown out, since I won't eat it :(

On a happier note, $3.95 for a mimosa? Pretty inexpensive! Nice for those of us who don't usually travel in NSs that we can buy a "Neptune perk" for so little cost :)

WE stay in NS and I'd likely never order a Mimosa from room service. My guess is that by the time it came to the stateroom it would be pretty flat and separated.

WE stay in NS and I'd likely never order a Mimosa from room service. My guess is that by the time it came to the stateroom it would be pretty flat and separated.

Neither have we. I don't want a mimosa at 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning (only time we do room service). Now, in the Pinnacle Grill? On a leisurely sea day when we are not up as early? That would be a different story ;)

Not Oceania, at least based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

I had what is probably the equivalent of a veranda cabin on Oceania; there are several higher level cabins on that line. I was not able to get a hot, full, room service breakfast on the last morning (didn't try the other mornings), even in that level and that price point.

Only continental breakfast.

You're correct, continental only for veranda and lower. I've never wanted to eat breakfast in my cabin anyway, but this does seem chintzy. And I loved my Oceania cruise.

Neither have we. I don't want a mimosa at 6:00 or 6:30 in the morning (only time we do room service). Now, in the Pinnacle Grill? On a leisurely sea day when we are not up as early? That would be a different story ;)

So true I ALWAYS wait until a civilized time -say 9:30 or 10:00 (sometimes maybe a tad earlier)and track down the Bloody Mary cart by the Lido Bar. HAL makes wonderful Bloody Marys