New to RC

My husband and I have only cruised twice. Once on ncl epic and last January on Escape. Now we saw the Oasis and thought we might try it. Can anyone tell me any of the main differences because we are still deciding if we should try ncl Escape again only because of the promo- free drink pkg and free gratuities. Oasis looks like a beautiful ship

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

The answer to your question partly depends on what you really look forward to in a cruise. If you enjoy the entertainment then you cannot beat the Oasis class ships. The Aqua Theater with its water shows is amazing and you won't find that on any other class of ship.

If you give us more of an idea of what you look for in a cruise we would be able to provide more help.

Rcl is tops oasis is second largest ship in the world and second newest to rcl harmony is the newest and the biggest you won't be disappointed with rcl

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Third largest behind Harmony and Allure.

Oasis is older than Harmony, Ovation, Anthem, Quantum and Allure.

These larger ships don't have as much ocean viewing as on smaller ships....you could almost forget you're ON a ship, at times! There is, however, much more to do on the larger ships! Really depends on what you want from a cruise!

The "free" packages on NCL do not include $200.00 gratuities for the drink pkg. or $29.00 for the dining package. The drinks are based on $79.00 per day value X18%.You can't beat the Oasis class ships. They are the destination. The ports are just extras.

The way I can describe Oasis of the Seas is the wow factor. The shear size of it will knock you out. All the posts are correct; you must chose between a resort on water or a slightly smaller ship that still feels like a cruise ship.

No one has mentioned that on Oasis you need to make advanced reservations for the Headliner, Aquashow, Ice Show, production show and comedy club. If you have Mytime dining you really should also make reservations for that. While we enjoyed Oasis, we really don't like planning all that out before the cruise - and when they cancel or move a show you may not be able to get a replacement. We prefer the smaller ships, where you might need a ticket for the ice show only - these are picked up on the first day near the shore excursions desk.

There is lots to do on Oasis, including the Dreamworks character photo ops. Very nice adult area (although mostly in sun in a hot glassed-in area).

No one has mentioned that on Oasis you need to make advanced reservations for the Headliner, Aquashow, Ice Show, production show and comedy club. If you have Mytime dining you really should also make reservations for that. While we enjoyed Oasis, we really don't like planning all that out before the cruise - and when they cancel or move a show you may not be able to get a replacement. We prefer the smaller ships, where you might need a ticket for the ice show only - these are picked up on the first day near the shore excursions desk.

There is lots to do on Oasis, including the Dreamworks character photo ops. Very nice adult area (although mostly in sun in a hot glassed-in area).

Have you been on the Epic or Escape, which the OP is asking comparisons for?

As far as I'm aware you have to do almost the same exact thing on those ships.

Having sailed both Escape & Oasis, and sailing them both again this year, I will say I enjoy them both and I don't think you can go wrong. When we sail with our kids, we all prefer Royal. There are more activities on the ship, the pool decks are much bigger and more family friendly, and our kids prefer Camp Ocean to NCL's Splash Academy. With just the two of us we prefer Norwegian for the drink package and all of the specialty dining options. Plus we prefer the night clubs/parties on NCL vs Royal.

As far as ships go, its hard to top the Oasis-class. They are massive, impressive, but manage to feel uncrowded. There are tons of activities for all ages and you can't get to everything in just one week. Entertainment on the Oasis-class ships is top-notch (although many lament having Cats on Oasis).

I've found Escape pricing to be generally some of the cheapest of NCL's fleet for some strange reason, and Oasis-class are usually 20-40% more expensive, and that's not counting purchasing a drink or dining package (and including the service charge for NCL's beverage & dining packages). However the rooms on Oasis are larger as are balconies if you're going to choose a balcony stateroom.

As far as "included" food, service, cleanliness, etc I've found both to be fairly similar.

Edited by MikeBTN

Have you been on the Epic or Escape, which the OP is asking comparisons for?

As far as I'm aware you have to do almost the same exact thing on those ships.

You took the words right out of my mouth. On NCL, we had to make reservations for all the show, so no difference there. :) Cruisersssm, you are going to LOVE the Oasis. Nothing compares to it.

Edited by champagne123
sssssssssss

Thank you everyone! This has helped. We are leaning towards oasis, but sad because we loved the free ultimate beverage package and tip option for ncl even though you have to pay the taxes. My husband is really concerned about the formal dining night for what to wear and how do you have to dress for non-formal in the MDR. Any help here. We won't be doing any specialty dining.

Lots of people no longer dress "formally" on formal nights. A dress shirt and slacks, or even polo shirt and slacks are OK for men. A blazer and/or tie would be nice, but not necessary. Women can just wear a nice dress or sparkly top. Other than "formal" nights, nice casual attire is fine. No shorts in the dining room at dinner. BTW, jeans are OK. If you want to dress formally, that is certainly fine also.

Edited by 39august

We have cruised on a number of RCCL ships. I like the Radiance class for itineraries, like Alaska, where the views are a key part of the trip. In this smaller class ship you can see the outside from all around the ship. But the caribbean's views are not that dramatic so the Oasis class works for me there... provided I have an ocean view balcony cabin.

My husband is not as mobile as I would like, so we usually get a cabin near the aft elevator. The reason is that it is an easy ride to the boardwalk, central park, prominade and various bars and the main dinning room.

For a ship as large as it is, the neighborhood design helps to spread out passengers, so it does not feel crowded. The ship has more and larger elevators than the Freedom class, which also helps move people.

When I book directly with RCCL I tend to locate the Cruise Compass for a similar itinerary to get an idea on what is going on... and use the company website to get an idea on when the shows will start. I first make dinner plans and then when shows are available for reserving I then make those reservations. I too prefer not to have to plan out everything, and often make changes on the fly. I am told that except for the Comedy club which is quite small... that you can often get into the shows without reservations... so I am not sure how important it is to reserve in advance. But I now find that it is fun to layout the cruise in advance...

The shows on Oasis and all RCCL ships is great. I will say that I did not enjoy CATS. I think that you have to sit close to the stage to get into the story. It just did not work for me. The cast was great, as were the sets, costumes etc. It is just with the exception of one or two songs... it just was not that memorable (pun not intended).

I have only been on two NCL cruises. Alas we got the noro virus on the last. I dont blame the cruise line, but well it does impact my perceptions regardless. I also felt that there were too many extras. Although since then RCCL has done the same.

My husband and I are Diamond, this means that we get three cocktails/day ....more if you go to the Diamond lounge. This is enough for up... we can always purchase an extra glass of wine or two if we want to.... I understand you need to drink 4 cocktails to breakeven on the package... just too much for me.

Don't miss the ice show, Quest and the marriage show are great too, and are rebroadcast on the ships TV. It is a lot of fun and worth going to once. If the weather is off, you might try going to one of their art actions... just to experience it. I have never purchased anything, but it was fun to do once. The headliners are usually good as well. The last cruise on Allure they had a great jazz quartet that performed at various events.

Don't forget to check out the front of the ship, the Solarium area and the spa.... at least take a tour. The gym can get busy, but worth dropping by on day one to see if you want use it.

I really like the Oasis class ship. I do hope that in future designs they add more ocean view areas like bars/restaurants etc. On the Radiance class you can see the ocean while standing at the main elevators and from various restaurants, bars etc.

Have a good cruise regardless of what ship/line you select

I sailed the Oasis and loved it, as I did with the Mariner (Voyager Class). I did the Southern Carib. on the Serenade, and although I enjoyed the cruise and the ship is beautiful, it seemed much more crowded than the other 2 classes.

Don't forget that you are allowed to bring two bottles of wine aboard per stateroom. If you take the bottle to the dining room with you, there is no corkage fee, and the waiter will keep the bottle for the next night if you don't use all of it on the first night.

Well I think you won us over. We booked yesterday on the Oasis in Jan. In a Boardwalk balcony. We are getting very excited now! The only thing is we won't have unlimited beverages. Just pop package from Eat Drink Play incentive.

I think you made a great choice, the Oasis class is really something special. The Aqua shows are amazing, and Central Park is so relaxing at night. Those ships really have something for everyone.

I have been on the Epic, Oasis and the Allure. I really enjoyed the Epic and we had a wonderful time. The Oasis class ships, however, are ships you can go on again and again and never get bored. I'm thinking about my third Oasis class ship but really have no desire to go on Epic again unless there is an itinerary I really want to do and there is a can't say no price.

My DH and I are in the same boat (hehe).

We have sailed Epic and Escape, but I was looking at the Freedom.

DH would love a ship with better pools, but we really enjoy NCL's nightlife (and UBP promo).

Hard decision to make when there are so many great options out there!

We just booked Oasis you should come too

Lol