Routine Blood Pressure check in ship's infirmary

bar1068

In most cases the ship's physician is a franchise, and is not directly controlled by Carnival Cruise Lines. Most likely there will be a charge for any type of service (which may not ben reimbursed by your insurance). The best option is to buy a high quality blood pressure cuff and do it yourself.

In most cases the ship's physician is a franchise, and is not directly controlled by Carnival Cruise Lines. Most likely there will be a charge for any type of service (which may not ben reimbursed by your insurance). The best option is to buy a high quality blood pressure cuff and do it yourself.

Was thinking the same thing

It's $10 for one time, $50 for the cruise.

I'm posting the picture I took of the prices, but not sure how clear it came out and if it will be readable. But in any case, the prices I listed above were as of this past July, so they should be current.

541e04aafda60952ab61ba1472a948fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

I'm posting the picture I took of the prices, but not sure how clear it came out and if it will be readable. But in any case, the prices I listed above were as of this past July, so they should be current.

Do they charge you a nurse consultation fee of $75.00 on top of the $10.00 ?

Notice the blurry red print at the bottom "We Do Not Accept Medical Insurance"

You are correct, they do NOT accept insurance. They will charge your S & S card. If you want your insurance to pay then you will have to file a claim with them when you get home. That is what we did. Make sure and ask for an itemized receipt.

I agree with others, take a BP monitor. The $50 they will charge for the week will cover the monitor and you can take your blood pressure all you want.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Looks clear enough to get an idea of the prices. Also knew insurance does not cover onboard medical expenses. Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

Do not all doctor's offices charge for a blood pressure check? So why would it surprise anyone that the ship's medical center charge?

Actually, no surprises, just simple questions...and my health care provider does do blood pressure checks at no charge.

DH has to check his several times a week. We just bring our personal BP monitor with us. It has a memory, so he can show the doctor the numbers. The doctor had him bring it to the office to check its accuracy. He had DH use his meter and then the cardiologist took his BP on his equipment. It was the same, so he gave his blessing to using the wrist monitor for frequent checks. We have an Omron 7. You can't get it wrong since it won't take the BP unless the wrist is in the correct position. I think it was around $60.00. Cheaper than paying to have it taken on every cruise.

• Like 1

Actually, no surprises, just simple questions...and my health care provider does do blood pressure checks at no charge.

Our doctor charges for anything and everything if you set foot in the office. DH had to go for regular INR checks. Insurance paid $3.00. Doctor charged $76.00.

Anyone that needs to monitor their BP daily needs to have their own, so not sure why you are asking this question. They are very cheap. You can get one for $29 at Target or Walmart. I am sure you don't go to your health provider daily to have your BP taken, so this question does not make sense. :confused:

• 5 years later...

I'm reviving this thread because I was just going to ask the same question about onboard monitering.  To all those who asked why not bring your own,  as for me,  it was just a matter of convenience to not have to pack it.  I'm trying to travel as light as possible.  The picture of the medical facility rates, even if it is 5 years old, was exactly what I needed to sway me to pack my own monitor.  

On 10/10/2016 at 8:51 PM, bar1068 said:

That charge is billed to your insurance company one way or another.  What is no cost to you is always a cost to someone else.