Bringing food on board

Argana

My son is Autistic, and is very picky due to sensory issues. I contacted the special needs department for RCCL regarding his food allergies, and pickiness, and they sent me an email that stated:

"Guests are allowed to bring on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also bring on their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not bring on board any potentially hazardous food items. (Items that require refrigeration, freezing, reheating, or storage by the galley). We recommend bringing your child's favorite food onboard, but please note perishable food items are not permitted to be brought onboard due to U.S. Public Health Guidelines."

On port days when we have excursions, I would like to just bring him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I can make him in our room. Do you think a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly would be considered "perishable?":confused:

I would call them for definite answers but normally any food brought onboard must be factory sealed packages only.

Also in ports.....you are not supposed to bring any kind of food off the ship that is not prepackaged. Some ports actually have dogs sniffing for fruits, etc as you go through security.

I would contact Special Needs for specific information.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I would call them for definite answers but normally any food brought onboard must be factory sealed packages only.

Also in ports.....you are not supposed to bring any kind of food off the ship that is not prepackaged. Some ports actually have dogs sniffing for fruits, etc as you go through security.

I would contact Special Needs for specific information.

Thank you. I wonder if those sealed uncrustable sandwiches would be okay then....

Thank you. I wonder if those sealed uncrustable sandwiches would be okay then....

As long as they are sealed, just carry the email that you received.

I've seen small jelly and peanut butter packages in Costco. You can always get bread in the Windjammer.

Have a great cruise. :)

• Like 1

Aren't those supposed to be kept frozen? If they can be kept at room temperature or in a refrigerator, they would work. You can not make your own sandwiches and bring them off the ship though, food has to be factory sealed.

There are packets of peanut butter and jelly in windjammer, as well as assorted breads. bring your own zip locs and you can have the sandwiches. The bigger issue for you is your ports. there are many ports where you cannot bring food items off the ship - they are the rules of the countries you are visiting - not a rule of Royal. What ports are you going to be in?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

I cruised on RCI many years ago with my niece who has Autism and a special diet as well. They were VERY accommodating to her needs including using her own pan in the kitchen that my SIL brought on board. She had also brought food on for her (I can't remember what) but they were so accommodating that she didn't need to use most of it. They definitely called the special needs department ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just as the US has laws prohibiting the importation of certain foods, so do other countries. I'd suggest that you check what foods you might not be allowed to take ashore in each port. While the likelihood of being caught is slim, it would be best to avoid what would at best be an embarrassing situation.

I hope that your son enjoys the cruise!

I have been told in the past in no uncertain terms not to make sandwiches from food from buffet to take off ship. They said it is a big no no. Not even allowed to take banana or apple from ship.

Have always read/been told as has been posted food has to be factory sealed cookies, crackers, etc.

Hope you get a difinitive answer from RCCL. But it is not their rule. Enjoy your cruise.

My son is Autistic, and is very picky due to sensory issues. I contacted the special needs department for RCCL regarding his food allergies, and pickiness, and they sent me an email that stated:

"Guests are allowed to bring on their own supply of dry, nonperishable food items such as cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc. They may also bring on their own individual packets of salad dressings. Guests may not bring on board any potentially hazardous food items. (Items that require refrigeration, freezing, reheating, or storage by the galley). We recommend bringing your child's favorite food onboard, but please note perishable food items are not permitted to be brought onboard due to U.S. Public Health Guidelines."

On port days when we have excursions, I would like to just bring him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I can make him in our room. Do you think a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly would be considered "perishable?":confused:

You won't be allowed to bring a sandwich off the ship for excursions at any ports - per the islands rules not RCI's. They (the island authorities) now scan your bags, or hand search bags, or sometimes have dogs sniff each and every bag that comes off the ship looking for food and/or drugs. Some islands won't even allow pre-packaged food only bottled water.

We just got off a b2b (29 days) and sometimes all we wanted for lunch was a pb&j but couldn't get that for lunch. We would take the packets of peanutbutter and jam/jelly from breakfast back to our cabin and at lunch we'd get bread in the WJ and make our sandwiches (to eat on the ship). The Park Café had individual bags of Lays potato chips! A perfect lunch!

Hope it all works out for you.

If all else fails feed him 3 or 4 sandwiches b4 u leave ship. Go on a quick excursion, 2 hours or hit a beach for 2 hours. Then high tail it back to ship before he gets hungry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I take snack foods on every cruise we go on - pretzels, chips. mixed nuts, ect. They normally are not in pre-sealed bags, usually zip locks. Have never had any issues. Take them on the islands all the time as I like to snack while drinking by beer. Only island that ever checks anything is cozumel and they are looking for fruit. So as long as you do not take fruit you should be okay.

I take snack foods on every cruise we go on - pretzels, chips. mixed nuts, ect. They normally are not in pre-sealed bags, usually zip locks. Have never had any issues. Take them on the islands all the time as I like to snack while drinking by beer. Only island that ever checks anything is cozumel and they are looking for fruit. So as long as you do not take fruit you should be okay.

Just because you weren't caught doesn't make it legal. It's about bringing items that could contain diseases and pests that can infect local agriculture. It's not RCI's policy, it's local law.

I just bought pre-packaged almonds and walnuts as well as trail mix (individual servings) that we take on some excursions due to them being over our lunch time. You can find them if you want.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

There are packets of peanut butter and jelly in windjammer, as well as assorted breads. bring your own zip locs and you can have the sandwiches. The bigger issue for you is your ports. there are many ports where you cannot bring food items off the ship - they are the rules of the countries you are visiting - not a rule of Royal. What ports are you going to be in?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are doing the Western Itinerary - Bahamas, Costa Maya and Cozumel

We are doing the Western Itinerary - Bahamas, Costa Maya and Cozumel

Argana - We are D+ with Royal and there are places where we have been where taking food off is not a problem (though issues with fruit in some places.) That being said, I suggest you contact the person you have been in touch with at Royal and ask about the specific port stops for your cruise. There are rules and regulations in ports and they can change at any time and you certainly do not want to run into a problem.

• 1 month later...

Funny story....We went on the Freedom back in 2015 with my parents among others. We have an autistic son who was 5 at the time. One night, they watched the kids while we went to Chops. They decided to ask for a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich in the MDR for him. The waiter came back with bread along with peanut butter and JELLO.... :eek: :confused: :D

Only factory sealed items can be brought off the ship. So no you cannot make him a obj but an uncrustable would be allowed

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cruised on RCI many years ago with my niece who has Autism and a special diet as well. They were VERY accommodating to her needs including using her own pan in the kitchen that my SIL brought on board. She had also brought food on for her (I can't remember what) but they were so accommodating that she didn't need to use most of it. They definitely called the special needs department ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, unfortunately, the RCI of "many years ago" is not what we have today ... nowadays things like this are met with blank stares, unreturned phone calls, pretending not to understand due to a language barrier, unavailable supervisors ... or staff just walking off shaking their heads, never to return ...

so, sadly, don't expect a lot of help here from the cruise line staff. its mass market now and we're all just a number.

Edited by F27TW

There are some food issues in my family so I always bring a loaf of our bread and individual packets of peanut butter. I have never had a problem taking sandwiches off the ship or bringing them back on if they weren't eaten.

If you need more space in the fridge, you can ask the room steward to remove the minibar items. Also, if gluten is one of your sons allergies, I recommend bringing the bread he likes as the gf bread available on board is not always chewable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Funny story....We went on the Freedom back in 2015 with my parents among others. We have an autistic son who was 5 at the time. One night, they watched the kids while we went to Chops. They decided to ask for a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich in the MDR for him. The waiter came back with bread along with peanut butter and JELLO.... :eek: :confused: :D

In some countries (Australia, for one), jelly means jello. :) We cruise with a couple from Australia and when I said I was going to have a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich for lunch, she asked why I would put jelly on a sandwich. After much discussion, we discovered she was talking about jello, not jelly!