Pacific princess hit breakwater In port nice

princessfanboy

Received this morning:

We are pleased to advise that Pacific Princess has arrived at the wet dock in Genoa and repair work has begun. We anticipate that all necessary work will be completed on schedule and your voyage will depart from Civitavecchia as planned on Friday, October 28, 2016.

Please be sure to have a valid email address and phone number entered in your Cruise Personalizer at http://www.princess.com. Updates may also be posted to http://www.princess.com/notices.

We very much look forward to welcoming you aboard Pacific Princess.

Yes! Great news! Thanks!

Received this morning:

We are pleased to advise that Pacific Princess has arrived at the wet dock in Genoa and repair work has begun. We anticipate that all necessary work will be completed on schedule and your voyage will depart from Civitavecchia as planned on Friday, October 28, 2016.

Please be sure to have a valid email address and phone number entered in your Cruise Personalizer at http://www.princess.com. Updates may also be posted to http://www.princess.com/notices.

Hoping against hope that this cruise will be "go" and you and G will be back onboard. For some reason, perhaps Windows 10, I have been unable to link to your e-mail from your blog, which I always look forward to reading. Even if you don't see an e-mail from me, know that you and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers - hoping your brother is making a complete and uneventful recovery. And hoping against hope that you and G will resume the fall/winter cruising. Please.

Received this morning:

Please let us know if/when you are going back. So enjoyed keeping up with your blog!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

THAT IS GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE!

I hope you and G are able to rejoin the ship.

Your wine is waiting!

Please let us know if your going to make it.

Really enjoy reading your blog.

In hope your brother is doing well and your

mother is still doing good and not to worried

about her son.

Hope we get to say Bon Voyage to you in a week!

Holy cow. Just now getting involved with all this. Four of us from Colorado booked the PP a very long time ago for the Nov 22 sailing transatlantic out of Venice. Not an experience I would care to have. Hats off to all the folks doing what they can to make the best of a bad situation. I hope the transatlantic is a go. I will be following this thread very carefully

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Received this morning:

Please be sure to have a valid email address and phone number entered in your Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com. Updates may also be posted to www.princess.com/notices.

Good to know. I hope those booked on the Oct. 28 sailing can now heave a sigh of relief.

I wonder what happens to the captain in these type situations. I think in the USN it would be permanent loss of command.
Probably nothing. When the ship is entering a harbor, the pilot is in charge although the captain is still responsible. A sudden gust of wind is an accident, not negligence.

There are many cases of ships going aground or having problems, even on Princess. One was when the original Regal got stuck on a sandbar in the Amazon. Another was when the Star was docking in Victoria while there were very high winds. The ship wouldn't have docked in those conditions except a medical evacuation was needed. The Captain attempted it and the ship crashed into the dock.

What we find interesting is the lack of info on this accident. CC would normally have at least one story under its "News" section but there is nothing! And looking at various French news sources there seems to be differing stores. For example, one tale talks of normal weather conditions with a sudden wind shift...causing the ship to strike the rocks. But another news report is that the ship was entering the port in rough seas and and winds over 45 knots! As I recall, the entrance to Nice's old harbor is pretty narrow and one can imagine a ship having problems in 45+ knot winds. There is also at least 1 report of Princess willing to refund the cruise price, but not refund the cost of the Princess Vacation Protection plan (over $200)! This makes little sense as why would Princess charge insurance for a cruise that never happened (the 10/18 voyage).

This might be one of those situations where the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Time might tell the true story.

Hank

There is also at least 1 report of Princess willing to refund the cruise price, but not refund the cost of the Princess Vacation Protection plan (over $200)! This makes little sense as why would Princess charge insurance for a cruise that never happened (the 10/18 voyage).

The Vacation Protection takes effect on final payment day and is what is paying to refund the cruise price. Why would you think the premium should be refunded?

The Vacation Protection takes effect on final payment day and is what is paying to refund the cruise price. Why would you think the premium should be refunded?

Because the cruise was cancelled at no fault of the passenger. No insurance is needed for the refund. The insurance company covers nothing and was never at any risk.

The insurance company covers nothing and was never at any risk.

Wasn't the insurance company was at risk from final payment day until they 'put her on the rocks' and Princess decided to refund the pax?

Insurance companies don't refund premiums because the customer never made a claim.

What we find interesting is the lack of info on this accident. CC would normally have at least one story under its "News" section but there is nothing! And looking at various French news sources there seems to be differing stores. For example, one tale talks of normal weather conditions with a sudden wind shift...causing the ship to strike the rocks. But another news report is that the ship was entering the port in rough seas and and winds over 45 knots! As I recall, the entrance to Nice's old harbor is pretty narrow and one can imagine a ship having problems in 45+ knot winds.
News reports are almost always written by reporters or writers who know nothing about ships.

The "truth" from a reliable marine source is that the ship was entering the port in breezy but acceptable and normal conditions. (They wouldn't have attempted it otherwise.) As you say, it's a tricky entrance into the harbor. A sudden gust of wind at the wrong moment blew the ship against the rocks. The large ships are unable to maneuver at wind gusts greater than 35kt. The Pacific Princess has greater maneuverability and is less susceptible to wind. (The upper decks of the large ships act like sails.)

Wasn't the insurance company was at risk from final payment day until they 'put her on the rocks' and Princess decided to refund the pax?

Insurance companies don't refund premiums because the customer never made a claim.

I'm not talking about the cruise that was shortened. I'm talking about the following cruise that was cancelled.

Edited by Murphey

Looking at our Princess policy (Allianz), “Trip cancellation coverage begins on your plan’s effective date, as long as you have paid the premium.” “All other coverage begins on your scheduled departure date.”

“Trip cancellation coverage: Payments and deposits you made before your trip was canceled, less any published refunds you’re entitled to.”

Sounds to me like the insurance policy was activated for the Trip Cancellation portion, so coverage exists for money paid out the line doesn’t reimburse, and no refund on insurance premium possible as insurance was in effect.

Looking at our Princess policy (Allianz), “Trip cancellation coverage begins on your plan’s effective date, as long as you have paid the premium.” “All other coverage begins on your scheduled departure date.”

“Trip cancellation coverage: Payments and deposits you made before your trip was canceled, less any published refunds you’re entitled to.”

Sounds to me like the insurance policy was activated for the Trip Cancellation portion, so coverage exists for money paid out the line doesn’t reimburse, and no refund on insurance premium possible as insurance was in effect.

The insurance in this case is for if you cancel the cruise, not if the cruise company cancels it.

There are many cases of ships going aground or having problems, even on Princess. One was when the original Regal got stuck on a sandbar in the Amazon. Another was when the Star was docking in Victoria while there were very high winds. The ship wouldn't have docked in those conditions except a medical evacuation was needed. The Captain attempted it and the ship crashed into the dock.

I was on that cruise. Happened in the middle of the day. We were in the theater listening to a lecture and the ship suddenly stopped. To get off the sandbar they lighted the ship by emptying the pool and then waited for the tide (ship was close to the entrance to the river from the Atlantic Ocean) to lift the ship enough.

The ship also hit a sandbar in the middle of the night on its way to leave the Amazon River. Did not get stuck, but the jolt caused items to fall in many staterooms.

I was on that cruise. Happened in the middle of the day. We were in the theater listening to a lecture and the ship suddenly stopped. To get off the sandbar they lighted the ship by emptying the pool and then waited for the tide (ship was close to the entrance to the river from the Atlantic Ocean) to lift the ship enough.

The ship also hit a sandbar in the middle of the night on its way to leave the Amazon River. Did not get stuck, but the jolt caused items to fall in many staterooms.

Running aground in the Amazon is a pretty common occurrence. On my last trip up to Manaus a couple years ago, there were 5 ships aground in the river at one time, one ship had been aground for 3 months.

The insurance in this case is for if you cancel the cruise, not if the cruise company cancels it.

Nope----“Trip cancellation coverage----When it applies-----Your trip is cancelled before you get started---for one of the following reasons”:

-----“Cancelled services-----Your cruise line stops offering all services for at least 24 consecutive hours where you’re departing because of:

1. Severe Weather

2. Natural Disaster

Reason--“-------Pacific Princess experienced an unexpected change in wind conditions and made contact with the breakwater wall resulting in damage to the port side of the ship under the water line.---

As a result of this incident we have made the decision to end the current cruise early so that necessary repairs can be made to the ship----.

Unfortunately, this required us to cancel the current voyage that was scheduled to depart on October 16, so that necessary repairs could be made to the ship.”

Edited by kennicott

Running aground in the Amazon is a pretty common occurrence. On my last trip up to Manaus a couple years ago, there were 5 ships aground in the river at one time, one ship had been aground for 3 months.

That sure gives us lots of confidence in the Marine Department :).

Hank