Is this even possible? Free drink scam on Freedom of the Seas

mvh

I have a guy I work with who is known to be a bit of a bs'er, so I'm not sure if this is true or not. He was on the Freedom of few weeks ago and claims he scammed a free drink package. He said he bought one in his name and peeled off the sticker and put it on his wife's key card, then he reported his card lost. Like I said he is usually full of it, so I don't know if it is true or even possible since I have not sailed RCI in over 6 years and I don't know what the sticker even looks like. The worse thing about this is he was bragging about stealing something. I know people are getting away with sharing, but this is a whole new level. Does anyone know anyone who has been caught sharing and what is the penalty? Please tell me this is not even possible, so I can call this guy out.

I would say no. When his wife went to get a drink they would swipe her card and it would say she had no package. Last week on the Liberty our friend had the wrong sticker on his card when we boarded, it said UP(unlimited) he had purchased the replenish. He went to check they swiped his card and told him no he did not have the unlimited but the replenish so they don't just go by the sticker they also can tell when they swipe the card. They don't always swipe the card but even with my non alcohol package they still swiped my card 70% of the time only for bottled water once in a while did they not swipe it. I signed less than half the time but they swiped most every time I got something.

Edited by Nemomof3
spelling

Quite often (including on the Freedom), but not always, they have swiped our seapass when we have ordered a drink even with having a drinks package. I can't honestly see how he could have got away with it without being caught.

Edited by Brit-Cruiser

So if I understand correctly, he peeled off his sticker and put it on his wife's card. Then he went to GS to have a new card and sticker.

Our picture showed up when our cards were scanned on the Anthem. They may have gotten away with it for awhile, but the entire cruise is very doubtful.

If you are caught sharing, your drink package will be cancelled, and you will be billed for all drinks ordered with no refund.

Cards are always swiped I thought for alcohol for inventory purposes and identification/age verification even if you don't get a receipt to sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They get to know you after awhile and know your cabin number. They do want their tips!:)

Is this really one of those posts where someone asks a question for "a friend," but really are fishing for information to see if something will work for themselves? [emoji57]

I doubt this happened and it seems unlikely that this person would go brag about doing something that isn't even possible and would so easily be called out by anyone at the office who has sailed Royal. If Royal didn't swipe drink cards, people could just give their seapasses to friends to grab drinks at the bar all day long. I don't see this being possible, and I don't see someone whose been on the ship claiming they did something that they know wouldn't work...unless they are trying to get you to try it so you'll get in trouble. Sounds more like a "asking for a friend" post though [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this really one of those posts where someone asks a question for "a friend," but really are fishing for information to see if something will work for themselves? [emoji57]

I doubt this happened and it seems unlikely that this person would go brag about doing something that isn't even possible and would so easily be called out by anyone at the office who has sailed Royal. If Royal didn't swipe drink cards, people could just give their seapasses to friends to grab drinks at the bar all day long. I don't see this being possible, and I don't see someone whose been on the ship claiming they did something that they know wouldn't work...unless they are trying to get you to try it so you'll get in trouble. Sounds more like a "asking for a friend" post though [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just coming here to post that the cynic in me when I see threads like this thinks that the OP is "fishing" for info for themselves. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks that way;)

So if I understand correctly, he peeled off his sticker and put it on his wife's card. Then he went to GS to have a new card and sticker.

Our picture showed up when our cards were scanned on the Anthem. They may have gotten away with it for awhile, but the entire cruise is very doubtful.

If you are caught sharing, your drink package will be cancelled, and you will be billed for all drinks ordered with no refund.

That is what he claimed. My guess is you are correct. He did it once and got away with it and then was stopped. This guy has always been a tool and I wouldn't put it past him to try it. The worse thing is that he is proud of it because he feels he got something for nothing.

That is what he claimed. My guess is you are correct. He did it once and got away with it and then was stopped. This guy has always been a tool and I wouldn't put it past him to try it. The worse thing is that he is proud of it because he feels he got something for nothing.

I wouldn't buy his "claim". Highly doubt he ever got away with it. And how wonderful of him to feel proud for stealing if he were to get a way with that!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

He can't be proud of it because like you said he is a bull ster . So it didn't happen

BINGO!!!! We have a winner. Sorry to the OP, but your post stinks as there is no reason to solicit info to call out a "friend".

I have a guy I work with who is known to be a bit of a bs'er, so I'm not sure if this is true or not. He was on the Freedom of few weeks ago and claims he scammed a free drink package. He said he bought one in his name and peeled off the sticker and put it on his wife's key card, then he reported his card lost. Like I said he is usually full of it, so I don't know if it is true or even possible since I have not sailed RCI in over 6 years and I don't know what the sticker even looks like. The worse thing about this is he was bragging about stealing something. I know people are getting away with sharing, but this is a whole new level. Does anyone know anyone who has been caught sharing and what is the penalty? Please tell me this is not even possible, so I can call this guy out.

So when is your cruise and when are you going to try this???? Hahaha

Does look like your thinking of trying this by posting this question.Just sayin

Maybe your not but it looks as though you are.

I say... not possible. RCL is not that stupid. The card is 'swiped'. As such, it is linked to an account that is either supported via a credit card and/or cash. Either way, each and every charge, be it a coffee, a purchase from a store front, or a drink will show up on the itemized bill. This charge is supported w/ date, time, description, etc. The charges for every drink his wife ordered would have been logged onto his account. He either paid for it with or without a package, or he's BSing you and others.

"Is it even possible?"

Yeah, sure, tell your 'mate' to go for it. Do let us know how he goes.

Re sharing a package, tell him to go for that too, but if they catch 'him' they will stick him in a lifeboat and cast him adrift! true story! No B.S.

I say... not possible. RCL is not that stupid. The card is 'swiped'. As such, it is linked to an account that is either supported via a credit card and/or cash. Either way, each and every charge, be it a coffee, a purchase from a store front, or a drink will show up on the itemized bill. This charge is supported w/ date, time, description, etc. The charges for every drink his wife ordered would have been logged onto his account. He either paid for it with or without a package, or he's BSing you and others.

If he got away with it, the employee wouldn't have scanned it. So nothing would show up.

And when you have a package your drink purchases don't show up on the itemized bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say no. When his wife went to get a drink they would swipe her card and it would say she had no package. Last week on the Liberty our friend had the wrong sticker on his card when we boarded, it said UP(unlimited) he had purchased the replenish. He went to check they swiped his card and told him no he did not have the unlimited but the replenish so they don't just go by the sticker they also can tell when they swipe the card. They don't always swipe the card but even with my non alcohol package they still swiped my card 70% of the time only for bottled water once in a while did they not swipe it. I signed less than half the time but they swiped most every time I got something.

FYI: UP stands for "Ultimate Package" not unlimited package. :)

Until very very very recently, there were three alcoholic packages: Select, Premium and Ultimate.

:)

I think it is slightly possible IF all he had/stole was a soda package.

There have been a few times when we have either bought a soday package once onboard (prebuying prints it on the seapass-no sticker) or lost a seapass and had to have it replaced, and then there is a sticker. A couple of times that was slapped on there very crooked by an employee and we are weirldy bothered by the look, wo we peeled the sticker off and reapplied it nice and straight. We've commented that if someone wanted to take advantage they might get away with it with the soda package, as cards never seem to be scanned for that---but have also commented that someone would have to be depserate and pathetic to do such a thing and really, how many people are that bad?

My guess is the coworker just likes to brag about sticking it to the man and thinks it makes him look cool instead of like a jerk. No point in calling him on it -- or if you do feel you have to, call him on priding himself on stealing rather than trying to catch him out in lying about it.