15 Day Hawaiian Cruise (Star Princess)

Kricktor

Hi All,

This is a two part question for anyone who has any insight. Any information would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find this information elsewhere.

We are embarking on our very first Princess cruise. We are not new to cruising, but new to Princess. We are SO excited! On a 15 day Hawaiian cruise, does anyone know when the formal nights take place? This cruise is over Thanksgiving and we presume one formal night would be for US Thanksgiving celebration.

Also, while in Honolulu we aren't scheduled to depart until 11pm. We are interested in a luau. Any suggestions?

Thanks a million!

Hi All,

This is a two part question for anyone who has any insight. Any information would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find this information elsewhere.

We are embarking on our very first Princess cruise. We are not new to cruising, but new to Princess. We are SO excited! On a 15 day Hawaiian cruise, does anyone know when the formal nights take place? This cruise is over Thanksgiving and we presume one formal night would be for US Thanksgiving celebration.

Also, while in Honolulu we aren't scheduled to depart until 11pm. We are interested in a luau. Any suggestions?

Thanks a million!

You will have 3 formal nights on a 15 night cruise but it is stated that this is always subject to change. (PS - they hardly ever change it)

The formatting didn't come out really well but this is from the Princess website:

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard. See below for an example of formal night schedules based on the length of your cruise.

Length of Cruise Number of Formal Evenings

1 - 4 Days 0

5 - 6 Days 1

7 - 13 Days 2

14 - 20 Days 3

21 - 28 Days 4

29+ Days 5 Minimum

A luau is a fan way to spend an evening while in Hawaii. I prefer the ones on Maui, myself but Oahu will also have some good options. Beware of the cheap cheap touristy ones. Check out on TripAdvisor and pick one with at least 4 stars. Buying it from the ship's excursion desk would probably be an expensive venture so I would suggest arranging this ahead of time.

The first formal night should be your first sea day and the third formal night should be your last sea day. Those two formal nights are basically cast in stone. On our cruise a couple of years ago the second formal night was the first sea day after leaving Hawaii. Thanksgiving is the last sea day before Hawaii. They could have that be the second formal night or have a special Thanksgiving menu that night and leave the second formal night for the first sea day on the return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We just completed the 15 Day Hawaiian cruise out of Vancouver on Sept. 23rd.

Our formal nights were our 2nd sea day after leaving Vancouver, the 1st day after our last port of Lahaina and the 2nd to last sea day before our arrival back in Vancouver. Hope this helps. As mentioned before your each cruise might vary.

As to the cruise and the Star Princess we had one of our best cruises ever! Capt. Tuvo set the tone and as a result this was one of the happiest ships we have been on. The crew were excellent as always, the CD did an outstanding job with new activities, dining did not disappoint, and having the wonderful Elua on board was the " icing on the cake " Envy you setting off. Do you have room in your suitcase? LOL!

Have a great trip

Louden

There will be a Princess Patter in your cabin when you board. There will be a schedule of formal nights shown on the front page.

Luau - Have you checked on your cruise's roll call to see if anyone is going to a Luau. Here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2285297

We have been to Honolulu a number of times on Princess cruises. Every time there was an evening hula show in the theater performed by a local youth group. Not a luau, but enjoyable.

If your Honolulu stop is not on a Sunday, check out the tour to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The expensive one includes a luau and evening show, and a late return to the ship.

Make sure you have enough time to get back before the ship leaves. Long way back to the ship.

Our last three cruises were the RT LA to Hawaii cruises (the Island Princess, and twice the Golden Princess). these were over the holidays so the three formal dinners might be placed differently than for the non-holiday ones (eg NY eve was always formal and either Christmas eve or christmas day were formal). the first day Patter will give a rundown as to which nights are smart casual and which are formal...but usually these are on sea days with maybe one on a short port day, but that would probably be rare.

Princess has a wonderful cultural program with activities, music (if Elua is on your cruise, watch the Patter to see where they're performing), talks.

the two luaus I went to were on land trips so can't help you there. Just be aware that Honolulu has a lot of traffic and you'll want to get back on time

If you go to a Luau don't eat the Poi. :eek:

Tony

Don't listen to Tony. Everyone needs to try the Poi otherwise they can't tell everyone it tastes like wallpaper paste (BTW, how come everyone knows what wallpaper paste tastes like??). :D

Don't listen to Tony. Everyone needs to try the Poi otherwise they can't tell everyone it tastes like wallpaper paste (BTW, how come everyone knows what wallpaper paste tastes like??). :D

Your so right it does looks like wallpaper past. LOL

Tony

Tony

Poi is an acquired taste and texture. It is a staple of the Hawaiians because most everything else is very salty.

When you tour the islands, you have to be very open minded about all the foods and cultures that are there. Otherwise, you will miss out some fantastic epicurean delights like malasadas, shave (without the d) ice, dim sum, saimin (as opposed to ramen), macaroni salad that comes in plate lunches, kalbi, poke, and the list goes on. The foods of the islands are so different than the mainland. You will not have enough time to eat it all.

And the ship does not have a fair representation of the local foods. Just as the commercial "luaus" do not even come close to a local ohana (family) luau.

Enjoy and savor each of the cultures.

Do sign up on the Cruise Critic Rollcall for your cruise. We are having a get together on the first sea day.

Luaus are available through Princess in their shore excursions, but they are VERY expensive. The best known one is on Oahu, but since it is done by LDS, it is alcohol free.

The best part of the late night sailing is that there will be local entertainment brought on board. I remember one show, years ago, of a children's dance school showing the authentic hula. Wonderful!

Do join us on the Rollcall board!

Tony

Went to a Luau a couple of weeks at the Hilton on the Big Island. No Poi served that I could see. I think the have stopped serving it because so much was being wasted and driving the price up for the locals.

49er

I've never tasted wallpaper paste, so I'll be sure to try the Poi.

Unless wallpaper paste tastes anything like paper mache paste, in which case I'm sure I ate some of that as a kid.

I just checked the Princess Patters for both of our Hawaii cruises out of Los Angeles. The formal nights were Day 3, Day 10 and Day 13 on both sailings. One on the way to the islands, and 2 on the way back.

Yes, that was exactly the formal schedule this past January when I sailed the Ruby to Hawaii.

Srpilo

What is considered Hawaiian formal wear?

Hawaiian Formal Wear is different that formal wear on a Princess ship. In most instances, a subtle aloha shirt can be worn to many restaurants and events on the island. Very few gentleman wear suits or sports coats in and around the island. Formal attire for the cruise is usually a dark coat or suit or tux or kilt.

For ladies, around the island...sandals, nice slacks, dressy top are all acceptable. I still wear long skirts or dresses but rarely wear heels. On the ship, I take a basic black dress and a long black skirt.

As for the poi discussion. Yes, poi has become extremely expensive and the bag you buy in the store is way smaller. Again...try a small dab plain, then eat it with your chicken long rice, kalua pig, and lomi lomi salmon (think of this as salsa but with salted salmon...if you can find the small pieces).

Or save your poi and I will eat it for you. Yum

I checked out notes from our last two trips and the first formal night was the 2nd sea day (Tuesday on this cruise), the first sea day after Maui and the 2nd to last sea day. I seem to remember the 3rd time was similar as well.

We are bringing our tuxes this trip. I've ordered the orchid boutineers which is the first time I've seen them before on the Princess site. I'm having them delivered on Tuesday.

Can't help with the luau - it's never been anything we were interested in.

Join the roll call!