Princess reps say don't book guarantee cabins

coconut cruiser

OP - you have paid for the cruise. Unpacking and staying home will be costly. If you don't show up you will forfeit your fare! Even with cancel for any reason insurance I think you need to go through the process of actually cancelling.

That is not what princess is telling us. They said if we wanted to be sure to have a cabin, don't book "let us pick". Currently unpacking and trying to make other plans.

I believe that the "be sure you have a cabin" that you are hearing is "be sure you have a specific cabin". As someone mentioned, if you let them choose your cabin, you may not find out where that cabin is located on the ship until you arrive at the pier, but you will have a cabin!! So, go ahead and repack and feel secure that you'll be getting on that ship just as you've planned! You never can tell, you might even be in a higher category cabin than you expected.

Have a great cruise!

Tom

Why do the Princess CSR's say not to book a guarantee? Because that is a cheaper rate. So, of course, they would recommend picking a cabin and paying the higher rate.

My thought exactly !

Guarantee means that you are guaranteed a cabin for the booked cruise.

I am also thinking that this may be a post only to get responses.

I have dealt with many Princess reps over the years. We always book directly with Princess.

We have booked many cabin types from a suite,mini suite,balcony to a guarantee.

The reps have always been helpful in assisting with cabin location,but I have never had a rep try to talk me into or out of a category.

There is something about his post that doesn't ring true-IMHO.

Yet claim have been cruising 25 years- maybe not in last 24? I just hope they read the responses here and RELAX, don't unpack. Even worse then, they will lose their fare $$$!

Where did you see the original poster claim anywhere to have been cruising for 25 years? I only saw two posts by the original poster and neither one mentioned anything about how long they had been cruising.

Tom

Where did you see the original poster claim anywhere to have been cruising for 25 years? I only saw two posts by the original poster and neither one mentioned anything about how long they had been cruising.

Tom

Yesterday, on another thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278196&page=23 post #460

Edited by yuccaman

Tom

Easy - click on the OP's username and look at all posts. Here's what the OP posted yesterday afternoon on their roll call.....

We are also waiting for a cabin. We also booked in May. I am worried. I guess the lesson to be learned is NOT to book early. We are flying in and taking Princess transport to ship. We have been cruising for 25 years and never had this happen before. I was told we have to look for a special desk on the peer to find out our cabin.

So it appears that as of yesterday Princess had advised them on the procedure to use when they arrive at the port. Don't understand this "unpacking" stuff.

You are scheduled to sail--this week---? You don't have a cabin assignement --YET--

You have paid in full? You have a confirmation number?

Why would you think you aren't sailing on this cruise?

Princess is known for the "HUCA" plan. If you don't like or don't understand what the agent is saying --Hang Up, Call Again.

Did you book through Princess or a TA?

All I am getting from your post is that--something amiss about a "guarantee" cabin.

You do realize of course, that every time you call Princess it is noted in your record. They do keep track of what you are calling about. Your HUCA plan could turn you into a PITA in Princess's eyes. :rolleyes:

Seems like CoconutCruiser is just being a drama queen. Unless they get a move-over offer, they are sailing this week.

All those nervous Nellies should stop booking guarantees. It is not like everyone is going to get a great upgrade for doing so. Many seem to be under the impression that if they book an inside guarantee they will given a full suite. Most upgrades are within the same category.

Like others have said, you DO HAVE A CABIN on your cruise.

However what you have is something assigned by the cruise line as they are continually shuffling inventory. When you book a cabin in advance you know where you are located. Not so with a GTY.

When you book a GTY, you will get at least the lowest level cabin in your category. Sometimes, sometimes, you get something better. Never guaranteed, but who knows? I once booked a balcony GTY and ended up with a junior suite. I thought they messed up but there were just two of us and it is easy to assign two people anywhere.

I would book a GTY on some cruise lines and ships but not all. When you book a GTY you typically don't have any choice if you don't like what they give you, so being flexible and happy with the 'worst' thing in your particular category is going to be a plus.

Keep packing-- you're still going to have a great trip.

Perhaps the issue is that when princess says "let us pick", one assumes (rightly or apparently wrongly) that this is the same as "best available" cabin...assuming that they know which are better cabins within a category, saving me the work of figuring it out myself. I didn't use that option, but I did assume it was "best available at the time of booking"...not just a guarantee.

As I recall, there is no discount for "let us pick" vs choosing a cabin. If choosing that option means it's a guaranteed cabin at that class or better, one should assume that you will get the "worst" cabin in that category. You probably won't, but don't assume you will get the prize cabin or be upgraded to something glorious.

Given this situation, the OP will have a cabin when they get to the dock....maybe it will be a happy surprise....at worst, it will be a cabin in the category booked.

Edited by ghstudio

Your HUCA plan could turn you into a PITA in Princess's eyes. :rolleyes: Seems like CoconutCruiser is just being a drama queen. Unless they get a move-over offer' date=' they are sailing this week. All those nervous Nellies should stop booking guarantees. It is not like everyone is going to get a great upgrade for doing so. Many seem to be under the impression that if they book an inside guarantee they will given a full suite. Most upgrades are within the same category. [/b']

Appreciate this "interesting" thread. It took me a few seconds, but I figured out what PITA means. Right?

Starting to plan and prepare for an early 2017, 15-day cruise doing the Panama Canal, Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing. This would be BOTH our first time for using Princess and to be visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc. This cruise is fairly popular and somewhat nearly full in many categories. We wanted a mini-suite, making it needed to do a "let you know later where you will be" type of guarantee. Yes, we know we will get a balcony mini-suite or better room. And, it comes at a lower price than if we could pick our location. Glad to read here that things are guaranteed!! We'll hope for the best.

It's good to be reading up on the many posts on this Princess CC Board. Very helpful folks here. Great sharing and learning.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,933 views for this posting.

This is one reason WHY you should use a travel agent, and not book directly through Princess! Your TA would have explained all this to you long ago.

We always book a guarantee cabin, and usually, the longer it takes to get your cabin assignment, the better your upgrade.

You do realize of course' date=' that every time you call Princess it is noted in your record. They do keep track of what you are calling about. Your HUCA plan could turn you into a PITA in Princess's eyes.[/b'] :rolleyes:

Seems like CoconutCruiser is just being a drama queen. Unless they get a move-over offer, they are sailing this week.

All those nervous Nellies should stop booking guarantees. It is not like everyone is going to get a great upgrade for doing so. Many seem to be under the impression that if they book an inside guarantee they will given a full suite. Most upgrades are within the same category.

I had some kind of inkling that they kept records of when you call, I know some people call for the smallest things, but to them even the smallest things are important to YOU. So if I call my TA to call Princess about something, then I become a PITA? In that case Princess better rethink customer service, guess where their paychecks come from.

I don't book guarantees anymore, not because I think I won't get a cabin, but because location has become crucial due to some health issues.

The big problem with guarantee cabins are those who get all stressed because they haven't got an assignment yet, we have had them as late as on boarding.

• Like 1

I had some kind of inkling that they kept records of when you call, I know some people call for the smallest things, but to them even the smallest things are important to YOU. So if I call my TA to call Princess about something, then I become a PITA? In that case Princess better rethink customer service, guess where their paychecks come from.

You could become a PITA (pain in the arse) to your TA. Depends how many times you call and what you call for. Of course those in customer service will always act graciously and polite to the consumer. It's what goes on behind the scenes you need to think about. :eek: ;)

letting princess pick 'best available' does give you a cabin if any are available (i checked because i wondered what they thought was 'best'). if not, then they give you a guarantee.

i specify a cabin if i can but for the last couple of years, i have been booking only a few months out so have had to choose guarantees. i kind of enjoy the wait and the unknown. all but once i've gotten a slight upgrade, sometimes a great one.

if this is a serious thread, i want the op to come back and let us know they understand what everyone here is saying. they DO have a cabin, it will be ready at the very latest when they board and probably in the next few days.

Yep--I'll third it!

After reading some of the OP's other posts in other threads I think that they simply like to blow off stream about different things they feel slighted on. Unlikely to be back on this one if those others are any indication.

That being said we first found out about the Princess picks your cabin idea about 12 years ago on our third Princess cruise. Met a couple in the check in line. The said they had no idea what cabin they would have as they booked the cruise late and gty's were the only reservations available. We had a balcony on the Baja deck and later noticed this couple had Caribe cabin just one over from the one directly below us. Nice deal for them.

Edited by ar1950