Is the maine lobster at the MDR any good?

mcatmcat

I was wondering if the maine lobster that they sale $30 at the MDR is good or not. I know I will get lobster tail on the second formal night but I was wondering if the one they sale is better or not.

Thank you

I was wondering if the maine lobster that they sale $30 at the MDR is good or not. I know I will get lobster tail on the second formal night but I was wondering if the one they sale is better or not.

Thank you

The lobster on the MDR menu is from the specialty restaurant menu which is why there is an upcharge. The lobster they serve in the MDR on formal night is not Maine Lobster. It's another variety. I don't eat lobster so I can't tell you if it's any good, but the two are different.

The dining room included lobster tail is Rock Lobster...a warm water variety. The "uncharge" is a cold-water lobster...all, of course, are previously frozen, as is all the seafood on the ship....just so you know!

Do you know this for a fact? It wouldn't be that difficult to keep a tank of live lobsters onboard. Thinking frozen ones would be awfully rubbery - but, I can get live Maine lobsters in my supermarket for $5.99 lb. and they will steam them for me, so it would never occur to me to pay the upcharge for one on the ship. Now, then, if you take a NE/Canada cruise, you can really OD on awesome lobster in port.

Nope No Good. Pass your plate over to my table.

Seriously, I am curious about that also. DW and I just went to a fund raiser "lobster feed" and had our first experience with Maine lobster.

It was beyond fantastic. We have eaten plenty of "crayfish" Pacific lobster and it can't compare with Maine.

Do you know this for a fact? It wouldn't be that difficult to keep a tank of live lobsters onboard. Thinking frozen ones would be awfully rubbery - but, I can get live Maine lobsters in my supermarket for $5.99 lb. and they will steam them for me, so it would never occur to me to pay the upcharge for one on the ship. Now, then, if you take a NE/Canada cruise, you can really OD on awesome lobster in port.

No, they don't have a live tank onboard. You can blanch and freeze whole lobsters for subsequent boiling. Whether it is rubbery or not depends on both the blanch/freeze technique and the subsequent boiling time. However, in my opinion, freezing changes the texture and taste of lobster, so I don't bother with any onboard a cruise ship.

No, they don't have a live tank onboard. You can blanch and freeze whole lobsters for subsequent boiling. Whether it is rubbery or not depends on both the blanch/freeze technique and the subsequent boiling time. However, in my opinion, freezing changes the texture and taste of lobster, so I don't bother with any onboard a cruise ship.

Thank you. I always wondered about their process. Living in New England I would never pay that price for a lobster. Now a good Nebraska grass fed beef steak is a different story!

Laurie

I remember going to a fish market one day and I asked the seller if the fish was fresh or frozen and he said fresh frozen.

Yes most fish is IQF (individually quick frozen) at sea. Fishing boats usually are out for a few days so it's the most economical way to keep the fish fresh.

Laurie

Yes most fish is IQF (individually quick frozen) at sea. Fishing boats usually are out for a few days so it's the most economical way to keep the fish fresh.

Laurie

I think a lot of people are surprised that this is how it's done, but it's the only way to provide fresh fish since the fish is shipped somewhere else except for what is needed locally. Unless you live at a port where you can get locally caught fish, what you get in restaurants will have been frozen.

And USPH regulations require that essentially all protein brought onboard the ship (meat, poultry, fish) be frozen to kill parasites. Fish for sushi must be flash frozen to kill parasites. The only exception are molluscan shellfish (clams, oysters) which can be brought on live (with the proper documentation as to source), but warnings must be on the menus if served raw.

And USPH regulations require that essentially all protein brought onboard the ship (meat, poultry, fish) be frozen to kill parasites. Fish for sushi must be flash frozen to kill parasites. The only exception are molluscan shellfish (clams, oysters) which can be brought on live (with the proper documentation as to source), but warnings must be on the menus if served raw.

Chief, that makes sense.

What about lines such as Crystal that bring fresh caught market fish onto the ship not frozen? Is it allowable because it is served that night or because they are in Malaysia for example. I'm just curious.

Are you still at home or are you back to the ship?

Chief, that makes sense.

What about lines such as Crystal that bring fresh caught market fish onto the ship not frozen? Is it allowable because it is served that night or because they are in Malaysia for example. I'm just curious.

Are you still at home or are you back to the ship?

If the ship isn't calling at US ports, then they don't have to follow USPH regulations, nor the EU's ShipSan if not in Europe. I don't know what the WHO regulations are, specifically, that cover ships operating in the rest of the world. I know that HAL or Princess allow you to go on one of their excursions in Alaska, catch a salmon, and have it cooked onboard. They can do that because the excursion vendor is a certified food source, and I believe they can get an "approved variance" if USPH can verify the source, etc.

Still home, going back next week. This year I miss all the holidays.

Thanks, good to know. I'll be heading up to NH for a cat show in two weeks and staying with my friend in York, ME - going to indulge in fresh lobster!

Thank you

My husband tried it when we were on the Brilliance in May (Mediterranean cruise so no lobster night like in the Caribbean). He said it was OK, but wouldn't spend the money for it again.

Add a little fresh cracked black pepper, it's all good.

I guess since all the pepper grinders have left the ship, no nee to order and pay extra for the lobster. But seriously, way too expensive for lobster. Her on Long Island we can get them for $6.99/lb.

If the ship isn't calling at US ports, then they don't have to follow USPH regulations, nor the EU's ShipSan if not in Europe. I don't know what the WHO regulations are, specifically, that cover ships operating in the rest of the world. I know that HAL or Princess allow you to go on one of their excursions in Alaska, catch a salmon, and have it cooked onboard. They can do that because the excursion vendor is a certified food source, and I believe they can get an "approved variance" if USPH can verify the source, etc.

Still home, going back next week. This year I miss all the holidays.

Thanks for the information. It's unfortunate that you will miss the holidays this year, but if your weather was like ours you should have had an awesome summer at home. Safe travels back to the ship.

Andrew

I guess since all the pepper grinders have left the ship, no nee to order and pay extra for the lobster. But seriously, way too expensive for lobster. Her on Long Island we can get them for $6.99/lb.

Is that the raw uncooked price, or the cooked and ready to eat with everything else you get price?

It always bothers me when people compare the price of raw food to the price a restaurant charges. If that were the case, shouldn't a nice steak cost $9.99 for a pound of meat?