Staggered Check In - HELP

amberjeannette

Been booked for Carnival Sunshine (out of Charleston) for over a year now. Cruise in November. Just checked in recently when I received an email. Normally I am in no rush to check in. When I did, I discovered this new (to me) staggered check in process. Check in starts at 3pm but the earliest available was 6:00-6:30pm. I have 2 young children and their bedtime is soon thereafter. I called into Carnival and explained my scenario. We are basically gonna lose a whole day, prob miss dinner, etc etc because of this late check in. They would not make an exception. I have cruised with Carnival many many times but this new "rule" is not sitting well with me under these particular circumstances. This will prob be our last time with Carnival. When did all this start? We are arriving in Charleston at 3pm as normally scheduled...so I'm gonna have to wait in the car/parking lot with 2 toddlers for 3 hours???!! I'm so NOT happy. Any advice? Thanks.

purchase FTTF if there are any available. that would allow you get check in at any time

Thank you for the advice and I am aware of that option. However, the last thing I'm gonna do is throw more money at Carnival. I'm am one cruise away from being Platinum and if they are unwilling to make an exception this one time (bc of the kids), then I will take my business elsewhere. I booked the cruise thinking check in started at 3pm. Would have selected a more traditional (departure time) cruise if I would have know about staggered check in and the chance of us not even setting foot on the ship until bedtime!!

No, they will not make an exception.

You can try to purchase FTTF or you can use Carnival transfers from the airport. People who purchase Carnival transfers can enter on arrival.

We will be arriving by personal transportation and I guess having a parking lot party for 3 hours. Hope the temp is good that day. Ah, never again!!!

Everyone thinks they should be the exception. You have the option of FTTF but you don't want to take it so you accept the alternative of being patient and boarding later. If it's not worth $70 or whatever FTTF would cost to make sure the kids are on board, fed and comfortable then it's really not important enough to make a fuss over. IMO

I'm sure you can find a local childrens museum or park for them to spend some fun time at instead of sitting in a car if you want. Have a picnic and some family time pre cruise.

Just a suggestion, you might think about asking the hotel for a late check out. We have done it many times when we had a late flight.

There are other options besides waiting in the parking lot. Even a play area at a fast food restaurant would be better than entertaining kids in a parked car.

I will also suggest you check back frequently. Since your cruise is next month it is not likely that an earlier time will open but always a possibility.

And my last suggestion is to not let it effect your cruise. There isn't anything you can do that you haven't tried. Go and make wonderful memories with your family.

We haven't cruised for four years so this staggered check in was new to me. However, it wasn't hard to find out the information, both at Carnivals web page and here at CC. We like to board as early as possible so I made sure to sign up immediately for the earliest time slot. I don't understand why you feel it's Carnivals fault, or surprised that early time slots are already taken, and no, I don't think they should make exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your 1 cruise from platinum and then all this staggered check in goes away. I would get the FTTF, solve your problem, enjoy boarding at 3pm and not rushing to dinner. If Carnival allowed you on early then all families with young kids would be requesting early boarding. Once you take your first platinum cruise you will forget this whole incident. Platinum boarding is such a pleasure, youll love it. The program began about a year and a half ago. Started at 2 ports and they keep adding ports every 6 months or so. Have not seen any new ones in a while. Dont let this hiccup ruin your cruise.

We will be arriving by personal transportation and I guess having a parking lot party for 3 hours. Hope the temp is good that day. Ah, never again!!!

Even if you have to check out of a hotel room they don't kick you off the property so you can hang around there until time to head to port. Or find something else to do. You are making this a bigger deal than it really is.

This system isn't going away and really most seem to like it and find it works well. If they made an exception for every person that called in with issues they would have to do it for a lot of people so I understand why they told you no. Lots of people traveling with kids and I'm sure they won't be held to a strict bedtime the entire cruise so I doubt it would hurt them to be up later on embarkation day.

You are right to feel upset. Carnival's strict staggered check-in system is causing a hassle for your family. I am sorry. I appreciate that you shared your experience with cc. It seems that the people who "really like it and find it works well" either are not really affected (platinum, FTTF, etc) or got the times they wanted. Unfortunately, there are going to be people who DON'T get the times they wanted, and I'm sorry that has to be you. I do think that, with the excitement of boarding a cruise ship, muster drill, etc., your kids will be up later that night regardless. I would find somewhere fun to hang out nearby, so your vacation starts on a positive rather than negative note. I would also ask Carnival how they're handling dinner in the MDR that night, with guests arriving through the dinner hour.

Everyone thinks they should be the exception. You have the option of FTTF but you don't want to take it so you accept the alternative of being patient and boarding later. If it's not worth $70 or whatever FTTF would cost to make sure the kids are on board, fed and comfortable then it's really not important enough to make a fuss over. IMO

I'm sure you can find a local childrens museum or park for them to spend some fun time at instead of sitting in a car if you want. Have a picnic and some family time pre cruise.

FTTF is sold out....so don't have that option EVEN if I was willing to throw more money at Carnival.

We haven't cruised for four years so this staggered check in was new to me. However, it wasn't hard to find out the information, both at Carnivals web page and here at CC. We like to board as early as possible so I made sure to sign up immediately for the earliest time slot. I don't understand why you feel it's Carnivals fault, or surprised that early time slots are already taken, and no, I don't think they should make exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect! They didn't make an exception and I never would want/expect an exception if it weren't for the kids and late departure cruise. I booked this cruise over a year ago and don't stalk this forum or Carnival's website so I had no clue about this new check in rule.

Another example of a poor policy by carnival degrading its guests experience. Yet some here rush to defend and can't even say what's so great about this new absurd rule. All so carnival can pay less port staff.

I just did it a week ago and it was MUCH better than the old way. You can read about it in my thread. I know that's not what you want to hear because you have already made up your mind and will be hell bent against it no matter what. Sorry you have a chip on your shoulder about the whole thing. I didn't notice decreased staff in the general check in area due to it either.

I just did it a week ago and it was MUCH better than the old way. You can read about it in my thread. I know that's not what you want to hear because you have already made up your mind and will be hell bent against it no matter what. Sorry you have a chip on your shoulder about the whole thing. I didn't notice decreased staff in the general check in area due to it either.

Tell me all about it after you get forced into a late time slot.

Of course people who get early slots have no problem with it...

Tell me all about it after you get forced into a late time slot.

Of course people who get early slots have no problem with it...

No different than booking late and getting a less desirable cabin. There are ways to get around it as you are well aware of if you so happen to get a late time. You can either get FTTF, or worst case scenario take a Carnival transfer from the airport. Sure, you're giving Carnival more money, but you don't have to if you can just accept what time you get. Sometimes you have to pay for convenience.

Since it was no problem getting through as early as I went, I'm guessing the later times experienced the same thing. The goal after all is to stagger the arrival of guests as to ease the lines. Overwhelming majority says it's working. You will always say it's terrible. Quite a difference between reality and perception.

There are tons of things to do in Charleston with kids - why not make it a tourist vacation day? (Make lemonade from that lemon!)

The Aquarium - very near the port - is wonderful! Plenty of free parking and you'd be minutes from the cruise ship parking area, with no need to wrestle with downtown Charleston (though of course downtown Charleston is one of the loveliest cities in the World).

Also, though you'll need reservations, take the trip to Fort Sumter - it leaves from the same place as the Aquarium. Great boat ride (we had dolphins swimming along side), and all ages can enjoy Fort Sumter (great place for kids to run around, explore, and get a piece of American history).

Between the Aquarium and the Fort Sumter excursion, you'd easily use up all the time after check out and before boarding.

Again, look at this as a wonderful opportunity to add a second vacation to your holiday!

Another example of a poor policy by carnival degrading its guests experience. Yet some here rush to defend and can't even say what's so great about this new absurd rule. All so carnival can pay less port staff.

It is a pretty easy to one to defend....the reason why is it is a better solution. period. The "tell me what happens when you get a late slot simple has no weight". It works, much to all the posters who had negative comments when it came out dismay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums