What is best mode of communication while on ship?

We (2 adults & 1 teen) are traveling on Liberty of the Seas. I keep reading that walkie talkies are annoying, which I agree. But, is that the only option for communicating while on board? We all 3 have cell phones but I'm sure Sprint doesn't have service at sea. Heck they barely have service at my house (but that's an entirely different issue).

Thanks for advice

Staci

I love the post it notes and pen - perfect!

I didn't even think about texting via wifi, what an idiot. Thank you!!

Looks like we'll buy the wifi package.

Thank you both

You'll have to buy a WiFi package for each person. You can't have more than one device on the account at the same time..

I think TALKING to others is the best form of communication! Tell each other your plans and where you'll likely be. (You can do that at meals, or in the morning...whenever you're together, give an update!) If someone's plans change, they will know where to look for you!

You can call from room to room...and leave messages on the cabin phones! Yes.,.. a post it note works, too!

In reality, it's not as hard as you are imagining to find each other...people generally gravitate to the same areas over and over...and while the ship LOOKS big, the "public" areas aren't that massive...most of the ship is cabin hallways that you have no need to search!

Edited by cb at sea

You'll have to buy a WiFi package for each person. You can't have more than one device on the account at the same time..

Get a multi-device package...works out cheaper.

FaceTime only possible if all on iPhones/iPads...whatsapp has worked well for us across devices

We used to set a time to reconnect either by leaving a voice message on cabin phone or meeting at certain location at designated time.

We also take those erasable markers and leave notes on bathroom mirror as reminders of events.

But now as we travel in a suite we get free internet for us all in CL, we just text one another.

Safe travels.

In May, we were a party of 4.

2 cabins.

cabin #1 -was 7 forward - I was with a friend.

cabin #2 - was 11 aft -daughter + her boyfriend ( both early 20)

we made an initial plan before the cruise that

a) we had MTD, but made our dinner reservations before we left to ensure that we had that.

b) on the ship, we realized that the best thing was to read the daily together at the evening show the night before.

we then had an idea of where people would be........ worked out great.

When I travel alone with my husband, we always set meeting times for each meal, we are not tied at the hip, so that does work well.

and finally, we use "crowd sourcing". funny how it doesn't take long to make friends. If you see a friend, ask, "have you seen my family" funny how we are "all in the same boat" when it comes to looking for people on ships.

Enjoy the cruise.

Well, we have to purchase WiFi because we have a business at home that has to have a way to contact us. We instruct everyone at home to message us on Facebook messenger. The messages are instant. It's completely covered by WiFi and it works beautifully. You can also place calls ON Facebook messenger which we have done before also. This works well if you are traveling with someone on board as well.

We do not do any international plans on our cell phones because with the above technology, normal calling and/or text are not necessary for us. It works like a charm.

Best of luck and have a wonderful cruise! :p

Edited by Esmerelda

We have never needed any type of devices to keep in touch.

At most we have notes & room phone messages.

With minimal planning, it really is not that hard get a feel of where others are.

But then some people cannot figure out how to negotiate a 4 way intersection.........

We (2 adults & 1 teen) are traveling on Liberty of the Seas. I keep reading that walkie talkies are annoying, which I agree. But, is that the only option for communicating while on board? We all 3 have cell phones but I'm sure Sprint doesn't have service at sea. Heck they barely have service at my house (but that's an entirely different issue).

Thanks for advice

Staci

Face to face, forget the cell phones for a week.....K.O.:)

Personally I do not want to have to carry a cell phone around the ship with me. We spend time in the pools and hot tubs and don't want to worry about what to do with them.

We give our kids a general idea of plans and if something drastic changes we go back and leave a note. It is a two way street, if you want them to keep you informed you have to do the same. We find our routine doesn't change that often and we usually know where to find each other pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Personally I do not want to have to carry a cell phone around the ship with me. We spend time in the pools and hot tubs and don't want to worry about what to do with them.

We give our kids a general idea of plans and if something drastic changes we go back and leave a note. It is a two way street, if you want them to keep you informed you have to do the same. We find our routine doesn't change that often and we usually know where to find each other pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

That is what we did when cruising with our son too. We talked over plans and then left notes in the cabin. If we didn't have time to go back to the cabin, we would leave a message on the cabin's voice mail. None of us wanted to carry around phones, including our son.

That is what we did when cruising with our son too. We talked over plans and then left notes in the cabin. If we didn't have time to go back to the cabin, we would leave a message on the cabin's voice mail. None of us wanted to carry around phones, including our son.

We have two teens, including one who had a major medical emergency a few years ago...admittedly keeping in touch is a big concern for us. We have a "cruise contract" with them that outlines our expectations, and what will happen if they don't meet those. Since they will most likely be doing teen activities we will have check in times, and they must check in with us before dinner (at which point if something better has come along [emoji23] they can ditch us!). We also have a white board in the room for messages, and they can leave a phone message for last minute change.

We don't want the hassle or expense of phones, and look forward to disconnecting. And we can probably use the exercise of running back to the room to check messages!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Traveled with my two teens several times and last time they each brought a friend. We go over the next day's plan at dinner. During the day we use the messages on the cabin phone and we were able to pick them up from any house phone. After the first sea day the kids pretty much knew which spots we would hang out in and could often find us there. When we run into each other during the day we would exchange things like they were going to rock climb at 4PM. We have never needed any texting or wi-fi package. You can also leave messages on their cabin from any house phones. Usually near elevators and bars. No reason to go back to cabin to write or read a note!

Edited by JuliaMS

During the day we use the messages on the cabin phone and we were able to pick them up from any house phone.

...You can also leave messages on their cabin from any house phones. Usually near elevators and bars. No reason to go back to cabin to write or read a note!

Thanks for sharing that...I read somewhere that you had to pick up in cabin. If we can access messages from any house phone, that is awesome! [emoji2]

Thanks for sharing that...I read somewhere that you had to pick up in cabin. If we can access messages from any house phone, that is awesome! [emoji2]

It's been 2 years but I think we had to go thru set-up instructions I found in the information notebook in each cabin.