Has anyone NOT received guarantee cabin?

JennJohnNYC

We have friends who are booked in a suite guarantee for early December. They booked several weeks ago but no assignment yet. No suites have been showing as available for a couple of weeks. Any chance they will NOT be assigned a suite? We are all sailing together and would hate for them to not have access to Michael's Club or Luminae with us. Thanks!

In cruising since the 90's, I have never heard nor experienced not getting the lowest category for the guarantee. Most times we have received a nice upgrade for booking the guaranteed level. The cruise line does an awful lot of shuffling the last week upgrading long time cruisers (by offering them an upgrade for a price and also as a surprise!) But by sailing date, they have everyone assigned a room, upgrade or not! Getting a room assignment may be right after booking or usually by 2 days before sailing. This has been our experience anyway.

There may be some accessible suites that aren't showing as available to the general public, that will be assigned as a guarantee. From what I understand they try to keep some of these in reserve to make sure they can accommodate passengers with mobility issues.

In cruising since the 90's, I have never heard nor experienced not getting the lowest category for the guarantee. Most times we have received a nice upgrade for booking the guaranteed level. The cruise line does an awful lot of shuffling the last week upgrading long time cruisers (by offering them an upgrade for a price and also as a surprise!) But by sailing date, they have everyone assigned a room, upgrade or not! Getting a room assignment may be right after booking or usually by 2 days before sailing. This has been our experience anyway.

It has recently happened when some pax were offered a downgrade after booking a balcony GTY:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2392332&highlight=Guarantee+sold+out+offered

It has also been reported on CC when X had oversold the concierge class cabins on particular sailings, they recategorised some of the 1B cabins into concierge class. I'll try and find the link to those posts ;).

Not saying it's going to occur in this instance as it's very rare, but wanted to show that there have been times/situations when it has happened :). Btw, allocation can happen right up to when you get to the pier ;).

They WILL get the minimum suite they paid for...no worries! Just because it takes a long time, doesn't mean they will get a penthouse or something totally great. They will get the category they booked. They will move someone else up, to give your friends what they booked.

Thank you! I should have mentioned they have a Celebrity Suite guarantee, so accessible sky suite would not be applicable to them.

They could very well be given one of the accessible Sky Suites. Friends onboard with us this month received one when booking late. They did not ask or need the accessible suite, but that's the only SS that was available.

They could very well be given one of the accessible Sky Suites. Friends onboard with us this month received one when booking late. They did not ask or need the accessible suite, but that's the only SS that was available.

Thank you, but since they have a Celebrity Suite guarantee, a Sky suite, accessible or not, would be a downgrade from what they booked. A Sky suite guarantee was available at the time of booking but for a thousand dollars less than they paid. They opted to pay more for the "Celebrity Suite Guarantee"

Thank you, but since they have a Celebrity Suite guarantee, a Sky suite, accessible or not, would be a downgrade from what they booked. A Sky suite guarantee was available at the time of booking but for a thousand dollars less than they paid. They opted to pay more for the "Celebrity Suite Guarantee"

I understand, now. :D

However, I am really surprised that they were able to book a CS GTY. Usually, those are not available at a GTY status. Normally, those are booked up pretty fast. There are not that many on any given ship.

There is a 99.9% chance they will get a Celebrity Suite ....

If they are downgraded, which is highly unlikely, I am sure they will be in a position to negotiate, not only getting a better price, but also to join you in Luminea and Michael's Club.

At worse, they are downgraded and given credit a refund, but still able to dine with everyone and go to Michael's.

Rest assured, they don't adopt the same over-booking business model as the airlines. You'll get a berth.

Actually cruise lines do have the same model.

When the model is correct, everyone is happy.

When the model is not correct, offers will be made to some with confirmed cabins to switch to another cruise or stay on the same cruise with a significant monetary inducement.

When the model is not correct, offers will be made to some with confirmed cabins to switch to another cruise or stay on the same cruise with a significant monetary inducement.

Right, just the way that airlines offer attractive inducements for passengers to take another flight or downgrade cabin category when they oversell seats on flights.

At times we are happier when "the model is not correct" because we can end up with a better deal that way by accepting their offer. ;)

There is a 99.9% chance they will get a Celebrity Suite ....

If they are downgraded, which is highly unlikely, I am sure they will be in a position to negotiate, not only getting a better price, but also to join you in Luminea and Michael's Club.

Sky Suite's have Luminae and Michael privileges.

Marie

OP - Come back and tell us when your friends get assigned! :)

BTW, Marie - I may have told you this before, but I am originally from Anderson. ;)

I do not believe you have. We are transplants and have lived here less than three years. We love it. We also love being within a days drive of Florida. We go back and forth quite a bit. We just back Saturday from a few days in Ft. Lauderdale, 4 nights on the Infinity(first SS, loved it), one night post cruise in St. Augustine.

Marie

Any evidence of this? Anyone here ever been left at the quay side waving at an over-booked ship as it sailed away?

We've many of us sat at a crowded flight gate, heard the announcement and watched (or even participated in) the game of chicken for who can get the best deal to give up their seat. Or more rarely, who can make the most noise when told their seat doesn't exist. I've never heard of anything similar on any cruise line. The closest thing is the "you pay us for a better cabin" upgrade offer that sometimes works very well for everyone concerned.

But if anyone has suffered from the airline version of this model I stand corrected.