What is considered an upgrade

septrack

While I'm waiting on a cabin assignment I have a question. Does Princess consider an obstructed DLX Balcony on Regal an upgrade over a standard balcony w/o an obstructed view. I sure hope not. Anyone have any idea?
Anything in a higher category is considered an "upgrade." You may not consider it an upgrade butPrincess does.

Anything in a higher category is considered an "upgrade." You may not consider it an upgrade butPrincess does.

Yes, I understand that, but I guess I should have worded my question as: Is an obstructed deluxe balcony considered a higher catagory than an unobstructed standard balcony. Deluxe Balcony cat start with a D..ie DE, while standard balconies start with B..ie BE.

I would assume from the price and name that a Deluxe balcony is higher than a standard balcony, but based on price many times, an unobstructed standard balcony is more expensive than an obstructed deluxe balcony.

Yes a delux balcony is a higher cat than a standard balcony.

So the lowest delux is higher grade than the highest balcony.

As Pam said you may not consider it an upgrade Princess do.

It's just one reason I mark my bookings, "No Upgrade".

Yes a delux balcony is a higher cat than a standard balcony.

So the lowest delux is higher grade than the highest balcony.

As Pam said you may not consider it an upgrade Princess do.

It's just one reason I mark my bookings, "No Upgrade".

If you are correct, there is a flaw in their system. I could have booked an obstructed deluxe balcony guarantee cheaper than my BF guarantee. I paid more, not to have an obstructed view. By your statement, I could end up with a cabin which I could have bought for less than my guarantee. Do you know for a fact that I could end up with ANY deluxe balcony, or are you assuming that it is as you stated? Thanks!

If you are correct, there is a flaw in their system. I could have booked an obstructed deluxe balcony guarantee cheaper than my BF guarantee. I paid more, not to have an obstructed view. By your statement, I could end up with a cabin which I could have bought for less than my guarantee. Do you know for a fact that I could end up with ANY deluxe balcony, or are you assuming that it is as you stated? Thanks!

I know it as a fact.

I've known people who were "upgraded" to a cabin that they could have booked for less than they paid.

By the same token, I booked a B2 (or B4) delux balcony last year and with price drops paid the lowest price possible, after they sold out there was a time I could have jagged a guarantee mini suite for less, so same applies. Most would consider that an upgrade but a mini is useless for us.

Again just one reason I don't do guarantees or upgrades anymore.

I know it as a fact.

I've known people who were "upgraded" to a cabin that they could have booked for less than they paid.

By the same token, I booked a B2 (or B4) delux balcony last year and with price drops paid the lowest price possible, after they sold out there was a time I could have jagged a guarantee mini suite for less, so same applies. Most would consider that an upgrade but a mini is useless for us.

Again just one reason I don't do guarantees or upgrades anymore.

Sounds like you are right and knowing how Princess operates, it doesn't really surprise me. The difference is that at the time I booked, I could have booked the obstructed view deluxe, for less, not as prices changed over time. Oh well, not gonna let the possibility affect my vacation. Thanks for your response.

It does appear that Princess will not "upgrade" someone to a cabin lacking an essential feature that the initial cabin does: you would not be upgraded from a balcony cabin to the window mini-suites (on Coral or Island) or the window suites (on Caribbean, Grand or Golden). Would hope that also applies to the somewhat more ambiguous case of an unobstructed standard balcony to obstructed deluxe balcony. Just relating what I have read on here--cases of upgrades to deluxe obstructed balcony from other obstructed view cabins (but not unobstructed) and to a window suite all the way from oceanview.

But just like some reports above on another line I did receive an "upgrade" to a less expensive cabin: had booked an inside, once insides were sold out we were moved to an oceanview cabin in a very undesirable location that thanks to price drops was now going for less than we paid. Calling our PVP at that line netted an upgrade to a balcony in the same good location as the first cabin (meaning they must have had someone desperate to pay full price for our original inside)

The cruise line considers stuff "upgrades" that you would NEVER think were. IMO, unless I'm put in a better category...like balcony to a suite.....it's NOT an "upgrade". However, they think something on a higher deck (same type cabin) IS an "upgrade"...they are asses....

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that an obstructed deluxe balcony stateroom would be upgraded to an UNobstructed deluxe balcony. An obstructed balcony would be upgraded to an UNobstructed balcony. They're kinda considered separate scales for upgrading. Don't quote me on that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

the cruise line considers stuff "upgrades" that you would never think were. Imo, unless i'm put in a better category...like balcony to a suite.....it's not an "upgrade". However, they think something on a higher deck (same type cabin) is an "upgrade"...they are asses....

yup!

Gotta say: Princess took care of us! Just got a call for a move over offer to an obstructed view balcony. Cabin E417 on the Regal leaving Nov 6th. They are giving us 50% off the cost of the 14 day cruise to accept this, as a refundable cruise credit. We are very happy! The rep didn't know how obstructed this balcony was, but for the money, it is worth it! If anyone knows the obstruction, I would appreciate your comment!

Gotta say: Princess took care of us! Just got a call for a move over offer to an obstructed view balcony. Cabin E417 on the Regal leaving Nov 6th. They are giving us 50% off the cost of the 14 day cruise to accept this, as a refundable cruise credit. We are very happy! The rep didn't know how obstructed this balcony was, but for the money, it is worth it! If anyone knows the obstruction, I would appreciate your comment!

IIRC, the obstruction on Emerald deck is primarily below. The lifeboats / tenders stick out a little, so you can't look straight down at the water.

Glad it worked out for you

You can see for yourself what the obstruction may be here: https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

Basically, if you look straight down from tour balcony,you'll see the tops of the lifeboats. Looking out - clear beautiful views.

Enjoy.