Auto Gratuity Deadline Removal

montrealroyalc

Why removed the auto tip? You can always give cash to those who give extra or exceptional service. You can get envelops at guest Relations. Of corse we all have different preferences and habits.

With the cutbacks, Celebrity has put them in a position where they don't have time to give exceptional service very often. Being friendly and smiling all the time does't equate to exceptional service. We used to give extra almost every cruise, lately we haven't. I'm not the government, I don't hand out free money.

We leave the automatic gratuities in place though.

With the cutbacks, Celebrity has put them in a position where they don't have time to give exceptional service very often. Being friendly and smiling all the time does't equate to exceptional service. We used to give extra almost every cruise, lately we haven't. I'm not the government, I don't hand out free money.

We leave the automatic gratuities in place though.

Just off Infinity and I can tell you that I experienced exceptional service from a number of staff including Putu, my stateroom attendant, Lili, my server, Jovel, the Restaurant Maître 'd, Erick, the Michael's Club Concierge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who told you all this?????? Just curious, have you ever seen reports of such notification to the staff ?

signed, a good cash tipper

Have I ever seen reports of such notification? Yes, I have. Here on Cruise Critic. Several years ago. Someone posted a picture of the names and cabin numbers of those who removed the tips. It was taken while the person was on a "Behind the Scenes Tour." It was taped on a wall. Names and Cabin numbers. Then the picture remained and the names and cabin numbers were whited out. Then Cruise Critic removed it.

I saw it, others did too.

The cruiseline did not deny it, they only said it was not a current list.

Think about it....how else would the room stewards, waiters, etc., know whose tip they could keep and whose they had to turn into the pool.

Haven't you read about upset cruise personnel asking guests what they did wrong, because THEY were questioned about why the guest removed the tip because supposed "poor service."

Edited by mafig

"The staff is notified of who removes the auto tips."

I would like to see evidence of this.

See my post ^^^^ You don't want to believe it. You think people who have worked on ships are just making this up. They know who you are.

Who said anything about not tipping? I simply asked when the deadline is for removing auto gratuities as I always tip in cash anyways and I"m not interested in waiting at guest services when we board as their is usually quite a long line. I thought it would be easier to do it later in the week. Some individuals on this forum need to calm down, who do think you are making assumptions of others and how they choose to go about tipping. These forums are becoming more and more unpleasant to visit as time goes by.

Since you always tip in cash "anyways" (sic), I assume that you know that any tips you give must be handed into the tip pool. So there is no difference between auto tips and handing people envelopes with money in them. What is your real reason for doing it your way besides ensuring that everyone who receives an envelope from you knows how generous you are. I truly believe that the people who say that they give as much in envelopes to the people who work hard to serve them and depend upon the tip money for their salaries are just practicing the religion of frugality.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Who said anything about not tipping? I simply asked when the deadline is for removing auto gratuities as I always tip in cash anyways and I"m not interested in waiting at guest services when we board as their is usually quite a long line. I thought it would be easier to do it later in the week. Some individuals on this forum need to calm down, who do think you are making assumptions of others and how they choose to go about tipping. These forums are becoming more and more unpleasant to visit as time goes by.

So, I want to make sure I understand. If I'm wrong about anything, then please correct me. The automatic tipping was included for those people who booked select dining (which I understand has recently changed). So, if you have select dining, you may well have a different waiter & asst waiter every night. Also, auto tipping also goes to your cabin steward, asst steward, and others (maitre-d etc). So, if you intend to remove tipping from your bill in lieu of tipping cash, is it correct to assume that you are going to hunt down all these various people the last night of the cruise to give them an envelope?

I cannot imagine how you would find that preferable. Therefore, this would lead one to assume that while you may give cash to one or two people, you will stiff the rest. So I think the comments that have been made are based on reasonable assumptions.

Myself, I'm in the "if you can't tip, you can't afford to cruise" just like "if you can't tip, you shouldn't go out to eat " camp. Just my opinion however.

Read OPs post on his Equinox cruise. I can understand that a disappointing and overpriced cruise may cause one to take a wait and see attitude about tipping. I hope the OP has a wonderful experience and shows appreciation to those who worked so hard to make the experience wonderful.

Since you always tip in cash "anyways" (sic), I assume that you know that any tips you give must be handed into the tip pool. So there is no difference between auto tips and handing people envelopes with money in them. What is your real reason for doing it your way besides ensuring that everyone who receives an envelope from you knows how generous you are. I truly believe that the people who say that they give as much in envelopes to the people who work hard to serve them and depend upon the tip money for their salaries are just practicing the religion of frugality.

DON

It's so much easier to "accidentally" put a ten spot in the envelope instead of $20. I think that's the real reason. I can cut my tips in half and no one would know the difference.

Read OPs post on his Equinox cruise. I can understand that a disappointing and overpriced cruise may cause one to take a wait and see attitude about tipping. I hope the OP has a wonderful experience and shows appreciation to those who worked so hard to make the experience wonderful.

Well according to the OP's post on his first Celebrity cruise experience (the problems of which did not really seem to be any individual's "fault"), I cannot imagine why he is taking another Celebrity cruise and being prepared to hate before he even leaves. Something is not adding up.

The OP needs to read what he wrote. I see nothing about adding only removing tips and gratuities. I think most read the same way. Why would you ask about what is the last day if you didnt plan to bail on the tips? Only one reason. These people work thier tails off to make your vacation one of he best.

I would never think of not paying my tips and infact tip more for above and beyond service.

You get what you give!

This thread has made for interesting reading for me as an Australian where we do not have a tipping culture. We always choose prepaid tips from the four choices available when booking our cruises. We like to know we have done the correct thing and tipped all who need to be tipped. If we were to do it ourselves we would probably make a hash of it! When travelling in the US and Canada we did do it ourselves, probably not exactly correctly every time but we did try very hard to do the correct thing. A lot of research went into it before hand.

It would never enter our mind to 'short change' someone who's job and income relies on the extras they receive from tips. Do I like the system? Not particularly. I wish everyone was paid as they are in Australia - a decent wage for the work they do, however it's not the system cruising is built upon so we do what we have to do. I just consider it as part of the cost of the cruise and 'build a bridge.'

:D

If i do not want to pay the tips I go to GR and have them removed. They do not tell me not to cruise - so why do some on here feel the need to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not telling you not to cruise but wish you would be considerate of others.

Your steward and wait staff have served you. They are not there as volunteers but working to earn tips and expecting you to tip and not stiff them.

As a cruise passenger I see tips increasing and know that some of my increased tip is to cover what other passengers have greedily withheld. I pay my share and ask you to pay your share so we do not have to for you.

This thread has made for interesting reading for me as an Australian where we do not have a tipping culture. We always choose prepaid tips from the four choices available when booking our cruises. We like to know we have done the correct thing and tipped all who need to be tipped. If we were to do it ourselves we would probably make a hash of it! When travelling in the US and Canada we did do it ourselves, probably not exactly correctly every time but we did try very hard to do the correct thing. A lot of research went into it before hand.

It would never enter our mind to 'short change' someone who's job and income relies on the extras they receive from tips. Do I like the system? Not particularly. I wish everyone was paid as they are in Australia - a decent wage for the work they do, however it's not the system cruising is built upon so we do what we have to do. I just consider it as part of the cost of the cruise and 'build a bridge.'

Bravo!

I totally agree with the above but unfortunately not all Aussie cruisers do.

A few years ago on the Diamond repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore, I was urged by some to go to GR and have the auto tips removed (We did not do so) but the Aussies down at GR to do just that was a very long queue indeed.

Some cruises out of Australia have the tips built into the fare but if not then I believe they should be factored in as part of the holiday cost, just as you incur fees when withdrawing or making purchases with cards when travelling.

The cost of cruising is probably much much cheaper that years ago when it was out of reach of all but the well heeled.

A couple of years ago someone posted that a member of his party removed the tips and bragged about it. At the end of the cruise all his luggage mysteriously wound up in the water at the pier. Just passing on a factual post that appeared on CC.

And this is precisely why I doubt "The List" exists.

If so and this was the result the legal ramifications for the line would be enormous.

Will be gong on a 14 night cruise shortly. I was wondering what is the latest the auto gratuities on my onboard account can be removed. Can it be removed the last night of the cruise or does it have to be by a certain day? Thanks for your input.

After reading through all of the posts, didn't I tell you that you would get a lecture and called names? All you asked for was if you could remove the tips the last day, and bang, you get lectured by very judgmental people.:eek:

And this is precisely why I doubt "The List" exists.

If so and this was the result the legal ramifications for the line would be enormous.

The list exists, there's no question about that, I've seen it.

As to legal ramifications, how would you prove it.

Just off Infinity and I can tell you that I experienced exceptional service from a number of staff including Putu, my stateroom attendant, Lili, my server, Jovel, the Restaurant Maître 'd, Erick, the Michael's Club Concierge.

Just because you received exceptional service doesn't mean everybody else did. I almost always get expected service, nothing that made me say WOW.

Why not if you have access to them? Sure some people you will never see but if one removes the auto tips it will not change. If one wants to give a staff member extra in cash then do so. My only suggestion is to be discreet about it to avoid any possible angst from fellow staff members

Very few people carry cash to tip the staff in the buffet (different staff will likely serve them each meal there) or at, for example, the Pool Grill.

On a recent cruise I was at guest services and had to wait while the purser did whatever and in that time person after person beside me were cancelling their grats. I had the opportunity to casually ask "my" purser what happens to the list of pax that was in a binder. Very matter of factly and open to her colleagues that the list is distributed to the cabin stewards and others. I was personally aware of this due to a previous relationship but was curious as to whether the practise continues.

So yes, there is a list and it is distributed. But what does a list matter? You give your tips by cash right?:rolleyes:

Man, I love auto gratuity. One less thing for me to worry about on the ship.

I NEVER pay more or less, just the suggested amount. If service is excellent, great, you got your tip already. If service is bad (only once and it was on a Royal 3 nighter and was already prepaid), Guest services ended up giving me like 2 bottles of champagne, 2 robes, fruit, chocolate and a $25 credit.

One of the reasons I cruise is because of the great overall service I receive, I certainly don't cruise to figure out how much to tip for this service, love that it is already calculated and taken.

In England we don't have the same tipping culture as in America (a 10% tip would be generous) but I understand how in the USA it is a huge chunk of salary for service staff. For this reason we either take prepaid gratuities as a perk if it is available or pre pay and regard it as part of the cost of the holiday. On our last holiday the other six (all British) on our dinner table of eight removed their gratuities. I am sure cash tips were given but I doubt they came close to the amount which should have been paid. Perhaps the solution is for Celebrity UK to factor it into the cruise price but they won't want to do this for fear of becoming uncompetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums