Is traditional dining done?

Rjbobalou

Nope, still there and hope it never goes away. Check out the other thread about select dining and you'll see why.;)

Lots of complaints about Select at the moment due to its popularity but if traditional was axed Select would work much better with the whole MDR becoming available. Only thing, they would have to eliminate reservations as this places restrictions on Select.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There will always be people who enjoy the more traditional fixed times. In particular, seniors or those who need to eat earlier and in a timely fashion. Or those who spend the day off the ship and return at the last minute. They will probably head up to the Lido for a quick bite and then chill and return for the late sitting.

We just returned from 2 weeks on the beautiful Silhouette and our group of 8 had early seating. Fabulous service and food BTW. The lower level was full with only the occasional empty table such as ours when we went elsewhere one night. The long waits reported in Select I think are due to having a reservation system. Select onkly seems to work well if you are very flexible and are not always trying to eat around 7-8 which I think is the busiest time. But as to the topic of this thread, Traditional dining was very popular on our saling and I don't see it going away soon. I also feel that it is easier on the kitchen and waiters.

We like fixed time in MDR. For us, we have tried flexible dining and when it was just us, the wait was short. For our group of 8, it was longer.

Another reason we like fixed dining was that the show schedules worked in conjunction with those dining times.

Anyway, I think cruise lines are working through this transition and it could stabilize or continue to evolve. Guess we will need to keep sailing. :)

I'm sure 2 years ago many on this board would have said celebrity would not axe formal nights. Surely the next bastion of cruising to be demolished is fixed time dining. If fixed time dining allocates a table for 2 1/4 hours at least when in select we can be clear within an hour then the benefits of a wholly select dining room are very clear.

I sure hope not.

We have always chosen late seating with a large table.

Have made many dear friends that we still cruise with, or at least stay in touch with.

We enjoy having the same table mates each nite. If I recall, it was Home Lines,

of pleasant but distant memory, that had a motto:

"There are no strangers on cruise ships, just friends that you have not yet met."

We also enjoy having the same servers each nite. They know how and when you like being served , how and when you want coffee, etc, etc.

While we used to enjoy formal nites, I can live without having to shlep all of

the extra clothing. Loss of a set time and table for dinner, however, might well be a deal breaker for us.

Racing through dinner in an hour might be okay for some, but not for us.

Have tried both types of dining on multiple cruise lines and vastly prefer traditional. It's reassuring to enter mdr each night knowing where our table is. Really enjoy getting to know waiter, aw and somelier.

Also believe the better waiters are in traditional where they know providing excellent service will result in extra grats at end of sailing.

I think it is a matter of time. Just like formal nights. Times are changing. If the MDR was all Select people can eat early or late. We have always asked for the same table in Select on each cruise and have always gotten it, so we have had the same wait staff. We have never been rushed at dinner and we usually dine at 7:00. Sorry, but after 22+ cruises, I don't miss formal nights -been there, done that[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see traditional dining going the same route as formal nights. We just got off the Constellation on a European sailing. This was our second time on this ship. The first time Select dining was on the upper level in the smaller space. It was always packed and when looking down on the traditional dining area, there were many empty tables. This time Select dining has been moved to the lower level and Traditional dining is now upstairs. We usually eat between 7 and 7:30 and only had a 10 minute wait one night. We had the same waiter many times and they were all wonderful. And yes the Select dining was packed every night and there were plenty of empty tables in traditional. As Americans we were very much in the minority on this cruise. Tons of Brits and Canadians.

I hope they don't. I like coming into the dining room and having my drink waiting for me at my seat. No beepers or having to wait.

Also, I cruise with family members who have severe allergies, and while traditional dining isn't perfect (this most recent cruise was a disaster in terms of allergy issues in the MDR, see my review if interested), it's much better than having to explain to a new dining team every single night about each person's issues.

I hope they don't. I like coming into the dining room and having my drink waiting for me at my seat. No beepers or having to wait.

Also, I cruise with family members who have severe allergies, and while traditional dining isn't perfect (this most recent cruise was a disaster in terms of allergy issues in the MDR, see my review if interested), it's much better than having to explain to a new dining team every single night about each person's issues.

I agree. I like having my table waiting with a wait staff that knows our preferences and having my table waiting, not me waiting. I spend my time at home planning what time dinner should be and it's relaxing to us to stroll in at the appointed time and find my table ready and waiting with my preferred appetizers and drinks on hand. I don't want to have to think about what time to dine and whether or not to make a reservation. Don't want to share a table with anyone but DH and travelling companions if we have them.

We've only done traditional once, to try it, and had a good experience - great tablemates - but didn't like the 'commitment'.

We were Select on our last cruise (Equinox - Feb-15) and our cruising friends had reserved for 6pm each night. I wasn't thrilled about being on a schedule (they assured me we could blow off the reservation if need be) and it ended up being the best dining experience we've had yet. Our first night we were completely 'wow'd' by our serving staff & sommelier. Requested same table for next night. The hostess knew by the 3rd night to 'hold' our table for us.

Those with reservations entered on one side of the dining room. Walk ins entered on the other. We never waited more than a couple of minutes.

We've never tipped extra in the dining room, but we sure did on this trip. Is our dream to have a repeat of this in February!

Having a great hostess is the key, I believe, and I now wish we would have tipped her additional as well.

Racing through dinner in an hour might be okay for some, but not for us.

Have tried both types of dining on multiple cruise lines and vastly prefer traditional. It's reassuring to enter mdr each night knowing where our table is. Really enjoy getting to know waiter, aw and somelier.

Also believe the better waiters are in traditional where they know providing excellent service will result in extra grats at end of sailing.

Unfortunately the wait staff in traditional dinning quite often gets "stiffed " from their tips. The wait staff in select dining have their tips prepaid so are guaranteed to get their gratuities. This was explained to us when on The Solstice. Our very experienced waiter told us he would never want to do traditional because of this. Most wait staff agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately the wait staff in traditional dinning quite often gets "stiffed " from their tips. The wait staff in select dining have their tips prepaid so are guaranteed to get their gratuities. This was explained to us when on The Solstice. Our very experienced waiter told us he would never want to do traditional because of this. Most wait staff agreed.

Tips aren't the only thing wait staff care about. My impression has always been that the best waiters want to be transferred to the specialty restaurants, where they can really 'take care' of their guests. Happy diners = happy waiters.

Tips aren't the only thing wait staff care about. My impression has always been that the best waiters want to be transferred to the specialty restaurants, where they can really 'take care' of their guests. Happy diners = happy waiters.

For sure! We always had great service and tipped generously.

I see traditional dining going the same route as formal nights. We just got off the Constellation on a European sailing. This was our second time on this ship. The first time Select dining was on the upper level in the smaller space. It was always packed and when looking down on the traditional dining area, there were many empty tables. This time Select dining has been moved to the lower level and Traditional dining is now upstairs. We usually eat between 7 and 7:30 and only had a 10 minute wait one night. We had the same waiter many times and they were all wonderful. And yes the Select dining was packed every night and there were plenty of empty tables in traditional. As Americans we were very much in the minority on this cruise. Tons of Brits and Canadians.

"As Americans we were very much in the minority on this cruise. Tons of Brits and Canadians. "

Not sure what that has to do with Select v Traditional dining? Do they eat at different times than Americans?

I sure hope not.

We have always chosen late seating with a large table.

Have made many dear friends that we still cruise with, or at least stay in touch with.

We enjoy having the same table mates each nite. If I recall, it was Home Lines,

of pleasant but distant memory, that had a motto:

"There are no strangers on cruise ships, just friends that you have not yet met."

We also enjoy having the same servers each nite. They know how and when you like being served , how and when you want coffee, etc, etc.

While we used to enjoy formal nites, I can live without having to shlep all of

the extra clothing. Loss of a set time and table for dinner, however, might well be a deal breaker for us.

Bravo, couldn't have said it better.

One thing I really hate is when I feel rushed while dining. This never happens in traditional dining.

Oh and BTW. Traditional dining staff get the prepaid tips as well.

Edited by NordicPrince

As Celebrity hopes to move up market (to premium and above) I think the regimented dining may go by the wayside. Many of the premium and luxury lines (Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Seabourn and others) all offer open dining as their only choice (with reservations as needed). Has worked perfectly on every ship we have been on and have no idea why someone would feel "rushed." In Select Dining on X, you can take all the time you want.

We wouldn't go back to traditional dining even if it had a "reverse" cover charge. :)

Lots of complaints about Select at the moment due to its popularity but if traditional was axed Select would work much better with the whole MDR becoming available. Only thing, they would have to eliminate reservations as this places restrictions on Select.

That is not true. All it would mean is that there would only be so many reservation slots allotted for a particular time (essentially like a standard mainland restaurant) and there would be slots allotted at each time for walk ins. Those who like the standard eating at the same time every night with the same waitstaff I'm sure could make a standing reservation nightly for the same waiter. It would work fine.

Those who like the standard eating at the same time every night with the same waitstaff I'm sure could make a standing reservation nightly for the same waiter. It would work fine.

Fact is, you are not "sure" you only "think they should be able to" make a standing reservation. There are those of us who very much love the standard MDR times and who respect those who love Select. I like knowing my table will be ready without thinking about it. I like having a wait staff that knows my preferences and has them ready. The problem arises when those who choose Select expect to immediately be seated upon arrival without a wait and without a beeper. I think if a passenger chooses Select, it is with the understanding that there are 2,000-3,000 fellow passengers who all want to be fed within a 3 hour window. If they want the dining room staff to cater(no pun intended;) )to their flexible arrival it is only reasonable to expect that sometimes there may be a wait. I think it's not the fault of those who opt to choose set dining time. If we choose traditional dining late want to dine early, there are many options open, specialties, room service, buffet. We are not on a private yacht where the wait staff attend to our whims, but sharing the ship, and even though we all like to be pampered during our vacation, I would never expect that my table would be ready on arrival if I were unwilling to stipulate what time that arrival would be.