Name Change/Passport/Booking Questions

Sayyadina

I'm getting a divorce.

I'm changing my name.

I'm (possibly) booking a cruise.

Not necessarily all in this order!

So, the divorce is almost final, I'm going to get my name changed in November and immediately get a new passport. I'm looking at maybe booking a cruise this week for a 2/4/2017 sailing on Royal Caribbean.

I'm assuming I'll have to fill out the online form with my current name?

What hoops might I have to jump through to get it changed before the cruise?

Any other tips you might have would all be wonderful!

I'm getting a divorce.

I'm changing my name.

So, the divorce is almost final, I'm going to get my name changed in November and immediately get a new passport. I'm looking at maybe booking a cruise this week for a 2/4/2017 sailing on Royal Caribbean.

All I can tell you is the name on the booking must match the name on the ID you're going to use on the trip.

You'd have to check with the cruise line what procedure would be necessary (if there is one) to change your current name for the name you'll be traveling under.

I think your only option may be to make the reservation in your current name (don't know if RCI insists the name on credit card making deposit match one name on reservation) and wait to fill out the cruise personalizer until you receive your reissued passport--assuming you are able to accomplish the name change within the next three months. I'm sure you will be able to on the local level, but with the Federal Gov't is another story; I believe you have to first get your Social Security card reissued before your passport (having in my former profession assisted clients in the process of a name change).

Since you are booking your cruise this week and are in a time crunch, why not just book the cruise under your name now and use the current passport you have?

That way your ship documents and ID will match.

I have seen many times the same advice given to ladies who are just getting married.....everything is booked under their maiden name until they return.

I hope you have a great cruise!!

I'm getting a divorce.

I'm changing my name.

You can book the cruise in any name you want. If you know that your name is going to be changed prior to the cruise book in your new name. To be safe I would wait until you get the name change done before booking.

Do yourself a huge favor and change your name after you get back from your vacation. Name changes take longer than you'd expect' date=' and there are lots of hoops to jump through.[/quote']

They really don't take any time at all when they are done as part of a divorce.

My daughter is getting married soon. She was told to book with her married name as that is what it will be at the time of sailing.

I hope your daughter is not cruising for her Honeymoon immediately following the wedding. Unless she is getting married in Vegas, it may take a couple of business days for the signed marriage certificate to be filed with the county, then she will most likely need to take the stamped filed certificate to change her name on her drivers license and social security card. If it is a closed loop cruise, she could travel with her US birth certificate and Photo ID, which would be her maiden name, assuming she had not been married previously. (also note the US Birth Certificate being acceptable has some conditions, ie. US born, etc)

My daughter is getting married soon. She was told to book with her married name as that is what it will be at the time of sailing.

Is she using a passport for this trip? If so, it will still be in her maiden name. If it is for her honeymoon there is obviously no way to get the passport prior to the cruise - I, personally, would have advised her to book all in her maiden name (the name which is on her passport and other important ID). I realize some women are anxious to begin their new life with their husband's last name, but in a case like travelling abroad, it's often easier to just wait. She knows she is married, and the cruise line really doesn't care.

If they are leaving right away, her bridging document (marriage license) won't even be available yet.

To the OP Sayyadina, I would advise you to book the cruise in your present name until ALL documents have the name change. As was mentioned, sometimes these things take time.

EDITED TO ADD: Robinsoncruiseso, I was typing at the same time as you. Didn't mean to "copy" you as I see your advice is the same as mine. :D

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You're kidding. Getting a new new passport takes the time it takes to get a new passport - or do you believe there is a "Divorce Desk" for expedited service in those cases?

Because OP seems uncertain about the "order" - it makes sense to use what she has: current name, current passport, and even keep current name on the credit card until the dust settles. The last thing she wants to do us to (unnecessarily) get the cruise line to change name after making the reservation.

I sailed in December once and mine expired in June and had no issue. I also just renewed and got it back in less than two weeks. But I agree to either book in your name now or get moving on changing it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sailed in December once and mine expired in June and had no issue. I also just renewed and got it back in less than two weeks. But I agree to either book in your name now or get moving on changing it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with moving now - with divorce "pending" - is lack of documentation to support name change on passport.

I apologize for not being clear in my response. We booked the cruise in July of 2016. She gets married next week. The cruise is on Harmony in August of 2017, by which time all of her documents will have her married name.

Gotcha. Lots of time for the name change. And congratulations to your daughter and all the family - a very exciting time for you all! :)

I'm getting a divorce.

I'm changing my name.

I'm not as familiar with the way things work in PA; I have done this in NJ.

My divorce papers were signed and submitted for filing with the court. However, it took some time for the papers to be signed by the judge and docketed and then returned to me. I needed that court order (under which my maiden name was returned to me) in order to (1) update my social security card (2) update my drivers license and (3) update my passport.

Depending on how quickly PA returns docketed divorce papers to you, if the name change is being approved in November, you may be able to get everything done. I know that you probably want the married name gone and the maiden one returned, but, if there is any chance that the paperwork is going to be delayed at all, book in your current name, which matches all of your documents, and then take care of all updates after you cruise.

Several years ago, I renewed a long-expired passport that was issued in my maiden name. I had to go in person to a passport office 100 miles away to renew it. (The passport was to take along on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary, which will tell you how long it had been expired!) I took my expired passport, my marriage license, plus the usual ID (birth certificate, driver's license, SS card). The passport clerk copied the appropriate paperwork and then must have seen how far I had come, because he asked if I wanted to wait a couple of hours and get my passport that same day. I had not expected that but you bet I was delighted to wait! And I left that same day with my newly issued passport in my married name.

I guess this is just to show that the passport office is used to dealing with name change, but I'm sure the OP will indeed need to wait for the court order restoring her maiden name before the passport office will change it in their records.

Several years ago, I renewed a long-expired passport that was issued in my maiden name. I had to go in person to a passport office 100 miles away to renew it. (The passport was to take along on a cruise to celebrate our 25th anniversary, which will tell you how long it had been expired!) I took my expired passport, my marriage license, plus the usual ID (birth certificate, driver's license, SS card). The passport clerk copied the appropriate paperwork and then must have seen how far I had come, because he asked if I wanted to wait a couple of hours and get my passport that same day. I had not expected that but you bet I was delighted to wait! And I left that same day with my newly issued passport in my married name.

I guess this is just to show that the passport office is used to dealing with name change, but I'm sure the OP will indeed need to wait for the court order restoring her maiden name before the passport office will change it in their records.

Not really a helpful example for the OP. Since your passport had been expired for more than five years you were processed as a new applicant under your current name. While bringing in your old passport was still helpful the fact that it had your maiden name on it and your new one your current name has nothing to do with how your new application was processed. And as the OP is just looking to update her name going to one of the centers that offers same day expedite will be of no use as her current passport is still completely valid; she would be sent away and instructed to apply for the name change through standard channels.

Edited by fishywood

You're kidding. Getting a new new passport takes the time it takes to get a new passport - or do you believe there is a "Divorce Desk" for expedited service in those cases?

Because OP seems uncertain about the "order" - it makes sense to use what she has: current name, current passport, and even keep current name on the credit card until the dust settles. The last thing she wants to do us to (unnecessarily) get the cruise line to change name after making the reservation.

The question that I answered was how long it took the court to make the name change, not how long it takes to get documents after the fact, but it is still only about 2 weeks, after the decree is final.

While I had my decree within 2 weeks, it took months to get my social security card, driver's license, passport, name changed on bank accounts and credit cards..... It all took much longer than I expected it to.

While I had my decree within 2 weeks' date=' it took months to get my social security card, driver's license, passport, name changed on bank accounts and credit cards..... It all took much longer than I expected it to.[/quote']

I didn't think it took all that long here in NJ. DMV can process a new license immediately, so I walked in, waited in line (the longest part), had the papers processed and was handed the new license. With SS, I went in, waited for my number to be called, sat and handed the clerk all of my paperwork, and my replacement card was mailed to me a few weeks later.

The passport had to be done as a new passport since I was past the period of time in which a name change only can be done (I think that's within a year of issuance). So, since I was going back to my maiden name, I needed my birth certificate, my DL and I also took the divorce decree with me. Got the papers processed and they mailed me a new passport. Going back to your maiden name is actually easier, since your original documents proving that you're a citizen have your maiden name on them. I provided the decree to show that I had the legal right to resume the name again.

I think the thing that will hold up the process is going to be the divorce decree being docketed and returned to OP. Family court moves at a much slower pace than most other courts.