Gem Stateroom Refurbishment

Alegeeter

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but I learned on the Gem repositioning cruise last week (NYC to San Juan) that over the next 7 weeks, while the Gem sails out of San Juan, NCL will be refurbishing all staterooms. Each week a portion of rooms will be blocked off and renovated so that by the time the Gem gets back to NYC every stateroom will be like new. When the Gem was updated in 2015 the staterooms were not touched so it's nice that NCL is taking steps to update the rest of the ship. The public spaces were beautiful but the rooms were outdated and the rooms could definitely use the face lift.

Lucky for those on the San Juan sailings who will have a ship only 6/7 full!

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but I learned on the Gem repositioning cruise last week (NYC to San Juan) that over the next 7 weeks, while the Gem sails out of San Juan, NCL will be refurbishing all staterooms. Each week a portion of rooms will be blocked off and renovated so that by the time the Gem gets back to NYC every stateroom will be like new. When the Gem was updated in 2015 the staterooms were not touched so it's nice that NCL is taking steps to update the rest of the ship. The public spaces were beautiful but the rooms were outdated and the rooms could definitely use the face lift.

Thanks for the nice post.:)

Thanks for the info. We are sailing on the trip back so hopefully our room will be done by then.

By chance do you have the Dailies or at least what times the shows were? I'm guessing since it is the same sailing but in reverse they'll have the same times and shows.

Thanks.

I no longer have the dailies but the shoes were every evening at 7:00pm and 9:00pm. There were three production shows (Swing!, Pure Variety, and Get Down Tonight), a (terrible) comedian, a cirque-like act, Second City, and an impersonator.

Then there were other smaller shows at Spinnaker or other venues at 8:00p and 10:00p every night (Second City improv, Production singer Broadway cabaret, game shows, etc.)

Great to hear! I'll be on her next week. Fingers crossed my room is being worked on this week.

Wish we'd known that when we booked. NCL knew as this is the only break from NYC schedule. We were on the Star during a Panama Canal cruise when they were finishing construction that hadn't been completed during dry dock. It was a bit of a logistical nightmare as parts of the corridors were suddenly blocked off or full of construction equipment. Hopefully this plan will close down a huge block of the ship and not be as confusing. We had a great time despite the construction. Maybe we'll be in a brand new cabin by the time we sail on the 20th

Wish we'd known that when we booked. NCL knew as this is the only break from NYC schedule. We were on the Star during a Panama Canal cruise when they were finishing construction that hadn't been completed during dry dock. It was a bit of a logistical nightmare as parts of the corridors were suddenly blocked off or full of construction equipment. Hopefully this plan will close down a huge block of the ship and not be as confusing. We had a great time despite the construction. Maybe we'll be in a brand new cabin by the time we sail on the 20th

I look forward to a refurbished room on 11/13. Fingers crossed. If this work is being done, it would have started last week with the 10/23 sailing. I kind of doubt much is being done this week as there were several large groups on board for Halloween. However, I have noticed no posts about upsells since the NYC to San Juan sailing.

RE: the Star and a Panama Canal cruise: it wasn't after the 2015 dry dock as the pc cruise was cancelled for a 2nd dry dock for the azipod that was assembled incorrectly. I remember reading about quite a bit of work being done on the Star on the Mexican Rivera sailings weeks after the dry dock though.

Well, this explains the lack of price drops for our cruise and that the ship appears sold out...now it will be luck of the draw as to whether our cabin is pre or post refurb, plus the added noise and inconvenience of construction if it's near your particular location.

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts....

Alegeeter..........do you know what decks they will start with, or have started with??

I too will be on board this Sun.

No, I do not, sorry. I only know what I do talking to the crew in different departments about it. There is a general happy feeling that the ship will be a little calmer for the next few weeks.

Good vibes to all for refurbished rooms!

Strange. I heard this from crew in several different departments across the ship (I won't name which since I'm now not sure it's news we are supposed to know given the Cruise Consultant's denial). We'll know for sure soon if someone here steps into a new room or the same old ones with the seashell carpets!

Strange. I heard this from crew in several different departments across the ship (I won't name which since I'm now not sure it's news we are supposed to know given the Cruise Consultant's denial). We'll know for sure soon if someone here steps into a new room or the same old ones with the seashell carpets!

When I just called to enquire about an upgrade for my November 6 sailing the Rep was emphatic that no such refurb is going on...hhhmmmmm

That wouldn't be the first (or 100th, even) time a Rep isn't in the loop about what's going on or is specifically not forthcoming to guests.

If it does turn out that the cabins are being refurbished as the crew suggested, it bothers me that NCL was instructed to lie to passengers until a certain point. Innocent until proven guilty, they say, so for now it's just a rumor and I'm the one spreading it, I suppose.

That wouldn't be the first (or 100th, even) time a Rep isn't in the loop about what's going on or is specifically not forthcoming to guests.

If it does turn out that the cabins are being refurbished as the crew suggested, it bothers me that NCL was instructed to lie to passengers until a certain point.

Innocent until proven guilty, they say, so for now it's just a rumor and I'm the one spreading it, I suppose.

Looking forward to a Gem refurbishment update from you(or anyone else).:o

WE have until February.

Maybe NCL is waiting for a furnishing sale, when the Gem returns to NYC ?

Edited by $hip$hape

I was instructed last month when I was on her that they were waiting on the next dry dock to do this. If they indeed go through and update the cabins before dry dock, this is indeed welcome news. The couch in my mini suite looked worn and past it's prime.

Sent from my iPad using Forums