Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Yes, please take a taxi from the harbor to Pile gate.  You can buy your tickets there and once you begin the walk, you will be able to finish.  Do keep in mind that sunset is early, depending on your exact date, so check sunset times for Dubrovnik also.  Weather can be good or wet, windy and cold.  Be prepared and make sure you have good walking shoes with radial tires on the soles.  Normally at 3pm, there is a young man at the Pile gate entrance who begins to lock the many gates.  So if you beat him up the 87 entrance steps, you will get to walk the wall.  Enjoy

Yup, that is how you reach the top to the walkway.  The wall is 1940 meters long, including all 3 entrances, has a grand total of 1,080 steps spread throughout.  Depending how often you stop to take a photograph and some of our spectacular views, the walk can take up to 2 hours.  The wall encompasses the entire old part of town.  Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that in Dubrovnik they only accept the local currency (and credit cards in some places). We need to get from the port to the Old Town and our cruise line is not supplying a shuttle so we need to take a taxi or the bus. I don't feel comfortable paying for the taxi with my credit card so I'll need to get money from an ATM at the port. I've also heard that there is "an" ATM at the port. If so I'm worried that I'm going to be standing in line for a very long time (three ships in port). Is this information correct? Should I try to buy some Croatian money before I leave home?

3 hours ago, fishr said:

I've heard that in Dubrovnik they only accept the local currency (and credit cards in some places). We need to get from the port to the Old Town and our cruise line is not supplying a shuttle so we need to take a taxi or the bus. I don't feel comfortable paying for the taxi with my credit card so I'll need to get money from an ATM at the port. I've also heard that there is "an" ATM at the port. If so I'm worried that I'm going to be standing in line for a very long time (three ships in port). Is this information correct? Should I try to buy some Croatian money before I leave home?

I've read the same things about their local currency.  We also have to get from the port to Old Town and was thinking of the bus.  I did read that taxi's take Euros.  Having said that I did buy 100 kuna to cover bus, toilets, ice cream, water/drinks.  Although the smallest denomination I got from the bank was 10. Good luck!!

we took taxi, they took Euros, ATMs are in port, I'd not using anything but a Bank ATM.

In old city almost every vendor took ATM, ticket office was CC and local currency only.    Got CC, you'll be good.

We survived the day not changing or using any local currency, YMMV

As I recall, there is also a small tobacco/convenience store across the road from the port that has pretty decent exchange rates and also sells discount tickets for the local bus.  You cannot use Euros on the local buses and will need Kuna if that is your selected method of transportation.  Once in town, just about everyone will take Euros (although you may not get a great exchange rate) and credit cards (Visa/MC) are widely accepted.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Get the kunas -- we just came from a stop in Dubrovnik and needed the kunas for the city bus system, the walls and some of the local shops. There were at least three ATMS at the port that we saw. My husband said the exchange rate was OK. There are some places in town where you can change money. The old city walls are 200 kuna apiece to walk (about $30 each). The bus fare was 12 kuna. Bus system was easy to use -- get tickets at the little magazine/tobacco stand near the bus stop.

• 4 weeks later...

On the ship (NCL Star) the sold tickets for the shuttle bus the night before.  There were two of us, I cannot recall the prices, but I saw from the taxi prices advertised that had we been a party of more than two, the taxi would have been cheaper.  Taxis were plentiful.  It would not have been a big deal to walk back, however we had paid for the privilege so we took it.  

As to getting local currency:  I paid for the walls using my credit card.  It works with different currencies and I had loaded about $80 of Croatian currency.  I then wanted to buy a stamp.  We were visiting on a Saturday so the shop selling stamps was closed.  There was no way to resolve this.  I should have bought stamps on the ship. 

When we got back to the ship on the shuttle, we had plenty of time.  There were some shops beside the port.  In these shops I could use Euro to buy stamps.  I could not however post them!!!   I was shown how to leave the port and I would find a post box.  My postcard hobby gives me so many adventures.  This one ended up with me enjoying a beer in O’Sheehan's an hour before sailaway and getting a happy mailbox two weeks later.  

• Like 2

Will be visiting on May 11, 2020 with Norwegian Getaway arriving at 7:00 am.  I will probably depart the boat at 8 and take a taxi to Pile Gate to enter the Walls. I'd like to exit at Ploce Gate and take the cable car up to Mt. Srd. I'd like to then go to the Old Town but am not sure where the entrance to Old Town is. I assume I'd take the cable car back down to Ploce Gate but thought I read the entrance to Old Town is at Pile Gate. Can anyone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...

Heatherc73 I think we are on the same cruise! I was so disappointed to see how late we were getting into Dubrovnik. I have the same plan..getting a taxi and rushing to the walls, hoping they will keep them open a bit longer since thousands of people literally just docked! I posted a question on the TripAdvisor forum so I will let you and our roll call know if I get different advice....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a tour that includes a little cruise outside of The Old City and walking tour. Plan B would be take a taxi tour to bridge and Mt drop off at Old City and do walking tour. Is it possible to get on a boat tour of the walls at the marina.  Arriving by cruise ship do any taxi tours hold 6 passengers?

Looking for a tour that includes a little cruise outside of The Old City and walking tour. Plan B would be take a taxi tour to bridge and Mt drop off at Old City and do walking tour. Is it possible to get on a boat tour of the walls at the marina.  Arriving by cruise ship do any taxi tours hold 6 passengers?

2 hours ago, carribbeanmic said:

Presumably your ship is docking rather than anchoring. I mention that because if it anchors and you tender into the old city harbour it’s much easier. If you dock you’ll need to get a taxi to the old city, ask them to take you to the Ploce gate which is nearer the harbour. Walk down to the harbour and you will find there are lots of little ferries that you can take. I’d recommend a ferry to Cavtat. It’s a lovely little town and you can have a walk around then get the ferry back. The boat ride is very pleasant, it’s up the coast and stops to let people on and off a couple of times.

3 minutes ago, carribbeanmic said:

Do You know if the taxis can accommodate 6?  Thanks for your input.  I was in Dubrovnik 5 years ago and I thought it would be wonderful looking up at the Old City Walls from a boat..

Sorry, I don’t know about taxis as we were anchored off and tendered into the harbour.

Hi all

I haven't read the link properly yet and there's no roll call for our p&o cruise in June.

We are travelling with my parents, dad has a bad hip and our 4.5 year old. Is there anything in particular that would suit us as a family? I don't want my daughter to be too fed up. We have 3 stops in Croatia. I'm hoping something like a land rover tour might be possible?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

We were there a couple of years ago and there were several boat trips from the old town port, including older boats, glass bottomed ones and "semi-submarines".

We enjoyed this boat trip which sailed along part of the walls then round Lokrum (not stopping), it was around 75 Kuna pp and we booked it on the day at a kiosk in the old town port: http://www.dubrovnik-panoramacruise.com/?dubrovnikexcursions=panoramaboat&lng=en

Some of the kiosks sell tickets for different boats doing the same trips at different times of day, so if you have a particular boat preference make sure to double check with the seller! 

Can't help with the tours as we took a taxi to the cable car then did our own thing, but there were plenty of taxis lined up in the port offering tours when we arrived.