Dining reservations changed without our permission

tiller

Last week, as soon as it was an option for our cabin level, I made a reservation for my mom and me at the Tuscan Steakhouse for our December 11 cruise on Sirena.

Today my mom calls to tell me that without asking, Sirena changed the time of our reservation to accommodate a private party. They made the change without asking--we may now try for a different date.

I find that unacceptable. I followed the rules, and now some group gets to take over the restaurant? At a minimum, they should offer us a free bottle of wine.

Has this happened to anyone before?

I have to say I've heard of such a thing and I would be upset too.

What do they mean by "private party"? Is there an alumni group on board perhaps?

I can see where they may have felt the need to change your reservation but not notifying you is unacceptable.

Mura

Did you use a TA?

If so have them call Oceania & try to work something out for you

Or call O & book another night asap before the others that were bumped get there first ;)

Probably a group onboard .... google your sailing date for Alumni groups

I understand your upset and frustration.

We just returned from our Sirena cruise, and one of the excursions we booked as soon as it opened - 6 months prior to our cruise - was changed from an early departure to a later one, without our knowledge or consent. The tour ended so late that we missed almost a half hour of a Claudine Pepin cooking demo I wanted to attend! All the Departures desk could do was say "sorry." Not good enough!

Edited by nyfeds

A variation on the time-change theme is the "reserved" theme we've encountered twice now in Toscana aboard our current Insignia cruise.

First ones in the door for our 6:30 two-top reservation, we asked to be seated at one of the tables in the far aft window section. Both times, we were informed by the maitre d' that those tables had been reserved and we would have to sit elsewhere.

Really? Since when are specific two-tops reserved in advance? And by whom?

Anyone else experience this? Care to speculate as to whether this is some new policy extended maybe to the "upper classes" in the bigger suites? We're concierge level...but maybe that's chopped liver these days.

Last week, as soon as it was an option for our cabin level, I made a reservation for my mom and me at the Tuscan Steakhouse for our December 11 cruise on Sirena.

Today my mom calls to tell me that without asking, Sirena changed the time of our reservation to accommodate a private party. They made the change without asking--we may now try for a different date.

I find that unacceptable. I followed the rules, and now some group gets to take over the restaurant? At a minimum, they should offer us a free bottle of wine.

Rude. So, now call O and ask to speak with someone in Special Services. If phone rep who answers your initial call says a/he can help, provide him/her the opportunity to double the number of your pre-sail reservation slots as "compensation" (no real cost to O but a nice gesture). If that phone rep can't do it, press (nicely) to talk to a supervisor or, per your original request, to "special services." Keep doing this until your one or more transfers get you to the individual who can (actually quite easily) add your extra reservation.

My experience with Oceania has been that, once you get to the "second tier" (or higher) of responsibility, reasonable requests are handled quickly and appropriately.

This also happened to us without any notification. We were then told there wasn't any other available openings when I went to the desk. Only available conflicted with other reservation and tours. I told them this was unacceptable and finally got a reservation.

A variation on the time-change theme is the "reserved" theme we've encountered twice now in Toscana aboard our current Insignia cruise.

First ones in the door for our 6:30 two-top reservation, we asked to be seated at one of the tables in the far aft window section. Both times, we were informed by the maitre d' that those tables had been reserved and we would have to sit elsewhere.

Anyone else experience this? Care to speculate as to whether this is some new policy extended maybe to the "upper classes" in the bigger suites? We're concierge level...but maybe that's chopped liver these days.

Yes, frequently those are held for important people. LOL

Who knows how they determine it, but we've been there and also been up by the front door. I've never thought about it, it's generally dark looking out by the time we eat anyway.

And once I was able to close my mouth (which would have fallen open in disbelief) I would immediately say, "Really, and how does one go about reserving those tables?", and if the Maitre D' claimed ignorance (which you know he/she would) I would be on the Manager and the F&B director for an explanation.

There is nowhere in any of the marketing/cruise description materials that says anything about "reserving a table" only reserving a time in the restaurant for seating.

Actually you aren't guaranteed a seat in any specific location either. I believe it's up to the manager of each dining area to make those decisions.

I personally have no problem with those that have paid for the upper rooms or that have sailed with Oceania many times to get preferential treatment. That's life.

I personally have no problem with those that have paid for the upper rooms or that have sailed with Oceania many times to get preferential treatment. That's life.

+1 (underlining mine)

or those that may be on a B2B2B, etc

If you have 50+ cruises with Oceania (or whatever large number), you deserve a few little extras :)

These are small perks that I feel they have earned, deserve and I do not begrudge them - there are plenty of other good seats in all dining venues.

Edited by Paulchili

one cruise we were celebrating a special anniversary

day 1 asked the reservation person for one of the aft tables in Polo for our booking night

request granted :)

too bad there was a table for 8 back there with a rowdy bunch :mad:

We only ordered a light meal & left quickly... went to the Terrace

I think the restaurant manager organizes the table seatings well in advance

like at a formal dinner party they seat those sharing at specific tables & those that want a table for their party

sometimes hard to rearrange the table seating mid stream unlike in the GDR

Edited by LHT28

By an officer. Doubt it has to do with suite category. Also could be special celebration such as anniversary And they might be for 7 or 730 or 8 seating since it usually takes two hours to dine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

so sorry that this happened to you. Most discourteous of Oceania. We got an email last week advising us that a reservation for Toscana (Marina) was changed to another day. We were not happy with the alternative date so we emailed back with our options and was able to work out an acceptable date and time.

We have sailed with Oceania many times previously and never encountered

this situation before. The dinner reservations were booked months ago and our sailing is in two weeks. The reason given is that there was a glitch in the reservation system. Hmmm, and this "glitch" was only discovered now?

We are booked in the PH category so I don't know if this explains why we got notified of the changes and others did not...maybe, there was another "glitch" in the system and Oceania lost your email. Be that as it may, it's no excuse for such disrespectful behaviour! Hope this does not mitigate the enjoyment of your upcoming cruise.

We're concierge level...but maybe that's chopped liver these days.

I am afraid that you ARE chopped liver together with the rest of us :D

On O class ships there are just too many PHs and then you have OCs, VSs & OSs - too many people above concierge for anything below PH (or maybe even below named suites) to be treated specially.

That is not to say that everyone should not be treated nice and with respect - but to be treated "specially" in concierge (if that is what you meant) is not realistic beyond what the concierge level describes as part of the package.

JMO

Edited by Paulchili

I find that unacceptable. I followed the rules, and now some group gets to take over the restaurant? At a minimum, they should offer us a free bottle of wine

So did you contact O or your TA ?

What was the outcome ?

So the representative at Oceania called my mom back this morning and offered an extra reservation. We made a second booking for Tuscan Steakhouse, though I don't know if we'll keep it once we're on the ship, might depend on how much we enjoy the MDR. My mom did ask for a free bottle of wine but got nothing out of that.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and commiseration. Oceania ought to investigate these "glitches"!

Actually you aren't guaranteed a seat in any specific location either. I believe it's up to the manager of each dining area to make those decisions.

I believe the tables are designated for each reservation time to spread the workload amoung the wait staff throughout the night. If you are among the first to arrive for the reservation time, you will have a choice of tables through the room. We were seated near the stern in Polo on Riviera last night with a good view of the entire room to watch how the staff worked.

So the representative at Oceania called my mom back this morning and offered an extra reservation. We made a second booking for Tuscan Steakhouse, though I don't know if we'll keep it once we're on the ship, might depend on how much we enjoy the MDR. My mom did ask for a free bottle of wine but got nothing out of that.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and commiseration. Oceania ought to investigate these "glitches"!

I am glad you got an extra reservation

Jancruz1

Thanks for the responses to my question. Paulchili especially made me laugh.

To be clear, I don't expect special treatment due to being in concierge class. Rather, as most posters on this board stress to newbies, I expect to be treated equally with those in other classes once onboard. If that doesn't include being able to select the area in which we are seated, then so be it (I suppose).

LHT28 also made me laugh with the story of the rowdy adjacent table for eight. We had the exact same experience in the back of Toscana aboard Nautica. Add "vociferously and offensively opinionated," and it became a question of which we would rather listen to: the annoying blather or yet another repetition of "Volare" on the muzak.

Okay, then, chopped liver it is!

or yet another repetition of "Volare" on the muzak.

[ I agree - in this day and age of digital music and all the technology that goes with it, it should not be that difficult to have a bit more variety in the soundtrack without constant repetition :confused:[/color]

Okay, then, chopped liver it is!

I happen to like chopped liver (when it's good) :D

And once I was able to close my mouth (which would have fallen open in disbelief) I would immediately say, "Really, and how does one go about reserving those tables?", and if the Maitre D' claimed ignorance (which you know he/she would) I would be on the Manager and the F&B director for an explanation.

There is nowhere in any of the marketing/cruise description materials that says anything about "reserving a table" only reserving a time in the restaurant for seating.

I think it is unreasonable for you (or anyone else) to expect that you can demand the prime locations in the restaurant - simply because you choose to dine early.

If you really want to sit at the aft of the ship, then Terrace is always available.