Elevator (Lift) Etiquette

yuvraj

It is clear that proper elevator etiquette is to stand directly in front of where the door will and then expect all the departing passengers squeeze around you while you stand there like you also drive a BMW. If you are a late arrival to an arriving elevator it is right and proper to shove four oldsters out of the way, preferably knocking at least one of'em to the floor.

If there happens to be someone in a wheelchair when you arrive everyone else will appreciate it if you just go ahead and shove them down the stairwell.

Well, I must admit that this is just my observation of proper elevator etiquette.

Arent elevators available to all cruisers ? Not just the disabled or obese ? Personally i dont like elevators on ships since their programming is wacky but occasionally i will use them. I love the people that try to rush in even after people havent completely gotten out., the people that wont move over for the people trying to get out or the ones that stand right in front of the buttons and expect the people getting on to do a reach around to press their floor. Cruise ships dont really need a safety drill as much as they need a mandatory elevator instructional seminar.

I find it amazing when people will enter an elevator and stay near the front while others are also trying to enter. and stay by the control panel, but not bother to ask for floor numbers. I will often enter an elevator and go by the control panel as I will help others. My hubby will wave his hand past the "eye" if he sees someone trying to get to the elevator. and jeez, people, when the elevator door opens, check to see if people behind you are trying to get out and let them. and people waiting to board the elevator: when the door opens, let people exit the elevator. there may actually be room for you after that. It's not rocket science, but it is courtesy.

You people would never make it in Japan. There, they have people who push you on the train like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3XucXFyml8. You're a bunch of sissies compared to them.

I agree with luddite as my wife has a scooter but when people try to crowd ahead I put all my 212 lb/6ft frame in their way. I'm not saying everyone is nasty tho.

I worked with a female aircraft inspector who said. I bought a Yellow Ford Mustang convertible, Do you think people will look at me or should I have bought a BMW. I said, Everyone on the 710 Freeway, all 10 lanes will turn and look when you go by even at a hundred and 10 lanes of traffic. She believed me.

Edited by WupperAV

First, let me say I did not read the whole entire thread, so please do not flame me if this is a repeat.

When you are waiting for an elevator and a door opens and the elevator is full, please wait until the door fully closes prior to re-pressing the up/down button. I have been very fortunate on my 20+ cruises not to have encountered rudeness inside an elevator, but with that said, I have been in an elevator where the door keeps opening when the car is full due to those on the exterior pressing that darn button.

Also, tried during a very unbusy time. Pressed the "two" buttons at the same time and the elevator did skip all floors and go right to my destination. Hubby was on one of the inbetween floors with the call button pressed and my elevator went right by him. Note, this was very late with no crowds at a far forward elevator. Just wanted to try it, would never do it when real people are waiting.

Thank you for this post. I have a very serious lung condition, but to look at me and to even see me walk you would never believe it, but give me a flight of stairs to climb and I am now huffing and puffing like the magic dragon. So you are so right, you can't tell a book by it's cover.

I resemble this as well! I look fairly fit but have less than 40% lung capacity due to A1AT. I always walk down stairs but can't do more than one flight without having to hit a knee.

We usually take the stairs.

But I checked the cruise line website. No specific rules that mobile,capable people cannot take the elevator. Is this your rule or one that we are not aware of.

So I can just see it now. The clothes police at the entrance to the MDR and the elevator police at the entrance to each elevator. How do you propose judging who is physically fit enough o take the stairs?

Time to get over it and move on. There are rude people in all social situations. It happens.

If I am standing waiting you would look at me and see a healthy looking, slightly large, healthy person.

I am not but you cannot tell by looking. Having said that I believe that elevator and stair usage are purely the choice of the individual concerned and nobody else.

I do get annoyed when I see people rush to fill the elevator and thereby prevent people in wheelchairs, on scooters, with walkers from getting in.

My pet peeve. Is this going up or down? Look at the arrows people, ignore the Indians (American variety), just look at the arrows.

You don't even have to look at the arrows (yes, that does seem challenging for some).

Just listen for the bell.

Almost universally - this is Cruise Critic after all, I'm sure someone will argue - the bell rings once for up and twice for down.

One up, two down. Easy

My pet peeve. Is this going up or down? Look at the arrows people, ignore the Indians (American variety), just look at the arrows.

You could reply that it is going forward to the bow on deck (whatever deck you are on). I will bet that some people will believe you and tell you that they really want to go to the front of the boat. LOL!!!

DON

There is a tendency for people to press the door close button as soon as the elevator (lift) stops at a floor. Seriously anti-social in my opinion.

Usually done by people who are fit and healthy enough to take the stairs to the detriment of elderly and disabled.

A brief moan but I wish people on cruises were more considerate and less impatient.

I don't know what cruise lines you've used but I have never experienced anyone pushing the close door button. On the contrary I have seen people many times push the open door button so people can getin.

I've just come off a 14 day cruise where I used elevators several times a day. I never once experienced what you are talking about. People always waited for doors to close naturally.

I don't know what cruise lines you've used but I have never experienced anyone pushing the close door button. On the contrary I have seen people many times push the open door button so people can getin.

I've just come off a 14 day cruise where I used elevators several times a day. I never once experienced what you are talking about. People always waited for doors to close naturally.

On my last cruise, I got into the elevator and a gentleman came in after me and immediately pushed the close door button. Another time, I was waiting and noticed the same man waiting. Thankfully, the elevator where I was standing came, he was on the other end, and I very quickly pushed the close door button and said "sorry" as the door closed before he could get on. Don't know if it taught him a lesson, but I felt pretty good about doing it to him.

On our last cruise, a very large family group pushed into our already tightly packed elevator waving at their family members to follow and somehow, they all managed to get into the elevator. They spoke another language and I couldn't understand what they were saying but I imagined it was something like ("It's alright, get in! There's plenty of room, you can climb up on the rails or sit on my shoulders!") It rather reminded me of riding the train in India. My husband and I were laughing because it was so ridiculously and impossibly crowded on the elevator but the lady next to me (not related to the family group) looked like she was going to faint and there was really no hope of getting out of the elevator as the large family group piled in so quickly. I suspect that incidents like this will become more and more common as people from other cultures start cruising more often.

On the last cruise we were on there was one elevator that was very sensitive to weight. It became a running joke on that ship as to how few passengers would set the overload alarm off. Now, admittedly, there were quite a few "substantial" passengers onboard but the other elevators handled them OK. Quite often there would be six passengers in the elevator with plenty of room for more, and one more person would step in and Bzzzz!

On our last cruise, a very large family group pushed into our already tightly packed elevator waving at their family members to follow and somehow, they all managed to get into the elevator. They spoke another language and I couldn't understand what they were saying but I imagined it was something like ("It's alright, get in! There's plenty of room, you can climb up on the rails or sit on my shoulders!") It rather reminded me of riding the train in India. My husband and I were laughing because it was so ridiculously and impossibly crowded on the elevator but the lady next to me (not related to the family group) looked like she was going to faint and there was really no hope of getting out of the elevator as the large family group piled in so quickly. I suspect that incidents like this will become more and more common as people from other cultures start cruising more often.

Once I get in the elevator I rarely go all the way to the end instead I try to stand by the control panel to avoid a situation like this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vary first cruise, right after the safety drill, I was in a mobility scooter trying to get back to my cabin. Crew were monitoring the elevators and was requesting all non-disabled people to use the stairs until the disabled passengers were completed.

There was so many people I could not even get close to the elevator, a staff member spotted me, and told me to come to the next available elevator. While waiting a entire family (8 total) with one very old lady who was in need of a elevator, the staff member told the family only one person would be allowed to ride with the lady. All hell broke out, they started screaming at the staff member calling her a racist because I was white and they were all black. I was so horrified, I said I would wait. The staff member held her own and said they can take the stairs or wait until all the disabled passengers are done.

It escalated to the point I said screw this, I don't need this and went buzzing away, while the staff member who tried to stop me, calling me to come back.

I was so upset what a nasty way to start your cruise. I was alone doing a solo B2B cruise.

A few hours later that family seen me and came up to me and started bashing on the poor staff member. I told them I was here to relax and I had no issue waiting. I avoided that family for the rest of the cruise.

It did not stop me from enjoying my cruise.