Rough Seas

racegirl35

I will be sailing to Cozomel and Progresso from Mobile, AL in April 2017. As this will only be my second cruise Im a little concerned with the possibility of rough seas. Someone had told me the water in the Gulf of Mexico tends to be a little choppy and rough at certain times. Can anyone offer any insight on this?

I understand that, but is there typically a certain time of year when it is rougher than others?

Yes and No. The weather guessers can only Guarantee two things. That during the day with will be light and at night it will be dark. :D

CB At Sea gave you the best answer that you will get.

Last year the cruise before ours sustained extremly rough weather. We departed New York North and for 9 days the ocean was a mill pond. Then the cruise after our had rough water again.

Bob

The seas are up to Mother Nature. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It could be rough and choppy...could be smooth as glass! No way to tell! Be prepared for anything, and hope for the best!

Yep, that's the answer, it is really anyone's guess.

I understand that, but is there typically a certain time of year when it is rougher than others?

I know you are not getting the answers you hoped for but the fact is the weather in that part of the world in the Gulf / Caribbean is relative the same all year round, with the exception of the hurricane season. And then it is only that conditions are favorable for hurricanes and not a guarantee that one will occur. As a result the sea conditions are pretty much the same at any given time and totally unpredictable as to whether the conditions will be rough or calm. The ships are stabilized which helps in rough conditions. But there really is no way to say that one time will rough and another won't.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I will be sailing to Cozomel and Progresso from Mobile, AL in April 2017. As this will only be my second cruise Im a little concerned with the possibility of rough seas. Someone had told me the water in the Gulf of Mexico tends to be a little choppy and rough at certain times. Can anyone offer any insight on this?

I've sailed many times from the east coast with waters rather calm. Now comparing that to the cruise coming back via the west coast. That was choppy waters coming back up Baja California.

Sent from my iPad using Forums