11:49 AM flight from POM to FLL on NYE?

hitEMwithTHEhein

I know similar questions have been asked but not quite specific. We are getting off of the NCL escape on 12-31-16. The boat disembarks at POM on 12-31 at 8 AM. There is an 11:49 flight from Fort Lauderdale airport. I have gotten TSA pre-check around 75% of the time. On a Saturday morning on New Years eve, do I have any chance of making it on time to that flight. It is about $300 less per person. I would get an Uber from the Port. Thank you in advanced for the Newbie question.

hitEMwithTHEhein

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

On the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

you would see this topic discussed daily, and that the common recommendation is that you shouldn't book a flight before noon in your situation.

You might make it, but two considerations. One, there will be tens of thousands of pax at FLL just coming from the Ft Lauderdale port. Second, you spent a lot of money for your cruise- is this (worrying about making your flight) the way you want to end it?

I know similar questions have been asked but not quite specific. We are getting off of the NCL escape on 12-31-16. The boat disembarks at POM on 12-31 at 8 AM. There is an 11:49 flight from Fort Lauderdale airport. I have gotten TSA pre-check around 75% of the time. On a Saturday morning on New Years eve, do I have any chance of making it on time to that flight. It is about $300 less per person. I would get an Uber from the Port. Thank you in advanced for the Newbie question.

hitEMwithTHEhein

Try and get a later flight from FLL.

I've arrived at FLL post cruise, only to find HUGE lines that snaked all the way out the door and down the sidewalk!! Crazy! That has happened to us three times! The first time was several years ago and we had an earlier flight, like you are looking at, and if it wasn't for my hubby being a bit obnoxious--lol--and budging ahead AND tipping the outdoor luggage man, we never would have made it!! The second time, we made it in, and once going through TSA checkpoint, my fake knees set off the alarms, and even after showing my cards stating that's what it was, was pulled to a separate examining area!!! The third, we just waited in line for about 3 hours!! Book a later flight!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would be uncomfotable with that flight because of your scheduled 8am arrival. Most ships arrive in the port much earlier (usually docked before 7am) which would make that flight OK. But if your ship truly does not dock until 8 it will likely not be able to start express disembarkation (where you must carry all your own luggage) until after 8:30. You must figure on at least 45 min (it could be longer if there are traffic issues) to get from POM to FLL. And then you have the double whammy of the holiday plus a Saturday...which is the busiest morning at FLL due to cruise ships. TSA pre-check is never assured (although it helps to be in the Global Entry program) and lines at FLL can be awful on a Saturday...especially for the gate areas that house Southwest and Jetblue.

Perhaps your ship will dock a little early and things will move along quickly. But there are no short-cut lines (like the GEOS line at Port Everglades) at the POM. Things will probably work out OK, but you should have a Plan B...just in case.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for the quick reply, especially Hank. I should have Global entry in place by then. The fare difference is over $300 per person. It may be worth the gamble. One of our party that we booked with is a top tier status on the airline - we can standby to a later flight with little or no fees. He mentioned that he can call 24 hours ahead and get a relatively high priority on the standby list. Worst case is there looks to be plenty of seats on the 6:30 AM flights the next day.

I would give it a try. Be on the road to FLL as soon as possible. With it being a holiday eve the airport TSA could be a nightmare. If I were doing this I would be off the ship by using self assist, have my transportation ready to go and be at FLL hopefully by 930am ( using your 8am arrival as the time ship clears customs ) As mentioned you will probebly be in port before 8am and possibly cleared early.ff. Good you have a backup, many do not.

FLL is often a total mess on turn-around days, especially when multiple ships are in port.

Even with priority check-in it often took my over an hour to get from the curb to the gate. Given how small the terminal is, you'll understand this is a tremendous amount of time.

Registering for TSA Pre (I can not since I am not American nor live in the US) might save you some time but if you don't travel often, save the money and take a later flight.

Lots of gaps in giving a well-informed answer, but a couple of points:

1) Even if you have Pre-Check on your BP, you still have two lines to negotiate. The first is for check-in/bag drop and the second for security. Pre only helps with the latter.

2) You don't mention airline or cities, but the elite status benefit may or may not transfer to others. Is this on one reservation (PNR)? For some airlines, status perks on one reservation drop to the lowest level of the group of pax -- you don't get priority standby if you aren't elite yourself.

3) Standby is only if there are empty seats going out on another flight. They will NOT bump off someone else just to put you on.

4) If later flights are higher priced, it shows greater demand for them. Much more likely to end up 100% full, which means standby gets to watch the plane leave without them.

5) Stated ship arrival times are estimates at best, and when you will leave the ship is another matter entirely. Plus, the 8am time does not include any immigration/customs time, nor any waits in leaving the ship terminal.

Flyer Talker is absolutely correct.

Pay heed to his points.

Now for mine.

Uber can only enter the port if the driver has the requisite paperwork. There will be cabs at the pier.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with your flight time but I have flown out of FLL on holidays before including New Year's Eve and I think you might enjoy your unplanned Ft. Lauderdale celebration.

Thanks for the quick reply, especially Hank. I should have Global entry in place by then. The fare difference is over $300 per person. It may be worth the gamble. One of our party that we booked with is a top tier status on the airline - we can standby to a later flight with little or no fees. He mentioned that he can call 24 hours ahead and get a relatively high priority on the standby list. Worst case is there looks to be plenty of seats on the 6:30 AM flights the next day.

Even if all your seats are on a single reservation including the top tier FF you mention, there is no guarantee that loyalty priority will make much difference. These days, price paid for the ticket reigns supreme.

No frequent business traveler would suggest that you take that flight (which is one of the reasons why the fare is lower). Don't be "pennywise and pound foolish."

Thank you for all of the insightful replies. Going FLL to ATL so there are lots of flights later in the day (just triple the price until 7:30 PM). I think the better course would be to book the cheapest (latest) flight of the night and go stand by if we get there earlier.

I found the cheapest to be after 8pm, also, so that is when I'm flying out. Looks like several hours in an airport, after an excursion. 😬

Given what you say, we might take the gamble. But keep in mind that Global Entry will not do you any good at the POM as Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) is still the only port given the GOES folks some priority. We do hope they expand the service to all ports...but we are not aware if this is even in the planning stages.

If you can arrange to book a private transfer service this also might save you some time in case there is a long taxi queue at the port.

Hank

Thank you for all of the insightful replies. Going FLL to ATL so there are lots of flights later in the day (just triple the price until 7:30 PM). I think the better course would be to book the cheapest (latest) flight of the night and go stand by if we get there earlier.

Assume that you are on DL. Know that DL charges to go on an earlier flight. There are both the changes for the flight change, PLUS possible fare difference increases.

Read the details at THIS LINK.