Cuban cigars...can you buy and bring aboard ship?

WINEMANVISALIA

You can't get good Cuban cigars in either place. First run Cuban cigars go to Europe and Asia, second run go to Canada, third run goes to Mexico and Caribbean. You still pay high prices for last run cigars. Why pay high prices for bad cigars?

In answer to the OP's second question, yes, you are welcome to bring them back aboard the ship and can smoke them in the approved place or on land at the next ports. Quality of the cigar is another issue as already discussed.

Where can you get good cuban cigars in cabo or mazatlan or puerto vallarta?

And if you buy them can you bring them aboard the cruise ship?

You can bring them on board. You can only smoke them on board in the cigar lounge. Believe you can now also bring them into the U.S.

Look up,the habanos web site and look for the local distributors . They can give you the legit locations. As stated previously, Cuban cigars are popular for counterfeiters, especially in Mexico . If you are not familiar with Cuban cigars I would definitely do some research so that you can see the telltale signs of counterfeits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong!! You can only bring them back to the US if you buy them in Cuba.

DON

Well at least until Inauguration Day we are legally allowed to bring in Cuban Rum and Cigars . Obama signed an executive order in mid-October permitting travelers to bring back Cuban cigars and liquor. See item 32 from treasury.gov

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/14/obama-cuba-regulations-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

IMG_1478669846.831559.jpg.be0200b2c69400c028e658ae3b4bba92.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong!! You can only bring them back to the US if you buy them in Cuba.

DON

Believe it is from any country. See quote in part from executive order:

"Under the new rules, which go into effect Monday, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption."

Believe it is from any country. See quote in part from executive order:

"Under the new rules, which go into effect Monday, travelers can purchase unlimited quantities of Cuban rum and cigars in any country where they are sold so long as they are for personal consumption."

I think that you are right. Sorry.

DON

• 1 year later...

From the U.S. Treasury web site:

Can I purchase Cuban origin cigars and/or Cuban origin rum or other alcohol while traveling in Cuba?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption. Authorized travelers may also return to the United State with alcohol and/or tobacco products

acquired in Cuba as accompanied baggage for personal use. OFAC

considers “personal use” of an imported item to include giving the item to another individual as a personal gift, but not the transfer of the item to another person for payment or other consideration.

Can I purchase Cuban origin cigars and/or Cuban origin rum or other

Cuban origin alcohol while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba)?

Yes, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction may purchase or acquire

Cuban origin merchandise, including alcohol and tobacco products,

while in a third country for personal consumption.

Such products may be consumed while in a third country, or import

ed into the United States as accompanied baggage for personal use only. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.585© and (d).

You can't get good Cuban cigars in either place. First run Cuban cigars go to Europe and Asia, second run go to Canada, third run goes to Mexico and Caribbean. You still pay high prices for last run cigars. Why pay high prices for bad cigars?

This is simply not true. You can get excellent first run Cubans (including Cohibas) in Puerto Vallarta. But you must know where to go since not all the merchants are selling the real thing. If you ever get to PV you should visit El Gato Gordo and have a chat with Rogelio (Roger) who has an amazing knowledge of cigars...both Cuban and Mexican.

Hank

Hi Hank.

If what you say about first run Cuban cigars available in Mexico is true, then something has definitely changed in Cuba. Maybe the world-wide demand of a few years ago has diminished?

Hi Hank.

If what you say about first run Cuban cigars available in Mexico is true, then something has definitely changed in Cuba. Maybe the world-wide demand of a few years ago has diminished?

Perhaps what has changed in Cuba is that there are a few entreprenaurs. We think the biggest problem with "Cubans" are the counterfeits which can be made from Mexican, Dominican or some other tobacco. We see some of that stuff being sold in Puerto Vallarta (our winter home for 12 years). But we have heard that even in Cuba, you can get stuck with counterfeits that will be Cuban tobacco...but not what is on the label. When I am on the beach (about 60 days a winter) a vendor will often try to sell me what he calls "a box of cuban cigars." They are small boxes (probably has about 10 cigars) and are as Cuban as my DW (who is primarily Irish).

Had to smile this past winter when we walked into our favorite Puerto Vallarta coffee shop...which is also a major purveyor of cigars (with a walk-in humidor). The owner asked me if I wanted to buy 2 boxes of Cohibas at a big discount (about 30% off the regular price) . The reason was that this particular shop normally sells only top grade Mexican cigars...but purchased a supply of top Cubans because they had set up a stand at the local Naval/Marine base for a large party (welcoming a US Coast Guard Cutter). When the party was over they were "stuck" with a few boxes of Cubans....which they did not want.

My DW does not "appreciate" the smell of a cigar (good or otherwise) so that has crimped my style :).

Hank