Voice of the Ocean

Alaskan Joe

Ok my wife and I are getting ready to set sail aboard the Ruby Princess December 22nd. Does any of the CC experts have any experience with the Voice of the Ocean, because I am looking to trying it out. The main thing I need to know is can the guest throw things at the stage such as; Tomato's, rotten eggs, ect....LoL Just kidding looking to see how this works and how we can get involved.

I was a contestant while on the Regal last January, and really enjoyed singing with the band, worth the cost of the cruise in itself.

Tryouts are karaoke style, then the finalist get a list of songs to choose from to sing in the finals.

One contestant dropped out and a replacement had to be found because his shtick was that he sounded like Neil Diamond and no N.D. songs were on the list.

You then rehearse with a pianist to make sure the arrangement works for you. The day of the show, you rehearse with the band.

Backstage they had fruit and champagne for us.

The on-stage judging isn't quite kosher, to keep all finalists happy. (who, after-all are paying guests) but the ultimate winner is decided by the audience.

I was a contestant while on the Regal last January, and really enjoyed singing with the band, worth the cost of the cruise in itself.

Tryouts are karaoke style, then the finalist get a list of songs to choose from to sing in the finals.

One contestant dropped out and a replacement had to be found because his shtick was that he sounded like Neil Diamond and no N.D. songs were on the list.

You then rehearse with a pianist to make sure the arrangement works for you. The day of the show, you rehearse with the band.

Backstage they had fruit and champagne for us.

The on-stage judging isn't quite kosher, to keep all finalists happy. (who, after-all are paying guests) but the ultimate winner is decided by the audience.

I watched the audition at the Vista Lounge last month. The cheering by the singer's supporters added fun. It was more like a party than a contest. Worth the time being there.

Ok my wife and I are getting ready to set sail aboard the Ruby Princess December 22nd. Does any of the CC experts have any experience with the Voice of the Ocean, because I am looking to trying it out. The main thing I need to know is can the guest throw things at the stage such as; Tomato's, rotten eggs, ect....LoL Just kidding looking to see how this works and how we can get involved.

They have a few karaoke try outs where you get selected by the passengers. All those that get selected, about 8, an hour's show worth, have a meeting with the staff leader where you select a song off of a list of about 40 or so songs. The songs are shortened and ones that the orchestra has the charts for. The key signatures are shown, so if you know a bunch of popular songs it would be good to know the key you are comfortable with. You can not select any song that is not on their list.

The finalists have the first closed rehearsal one afternoon, on the Ruby probably in Club Fusion. This will be with some live musicians and two singer coaches. The second rehearsal will be with the full orchestra. The final rehearsal is on stage which is fully set up, where they will walk you through the show.

While it is a contest, you should treat it more as participation in a show.

I have done it twice.

Ok my wife and I are getting ready to set sail aboard the Ruby Princess December 22nd. Does any of the CC experts have any experience with the Voice of the Ocean, because I am looking to trying it out. The main thing I need to know is can the guest throw things at the stage such as; Tomato's, rotten eggs, ect....LoL Just kidding looking to see how this works and how we can get involved.[/quote

Good luck at the tryouts Joe. I hope you make it.

Tony

Basically the judges will pick the best of the lot for tryouts in which the audience chooses the winner. On the Regal in Feb. there were some pax among the tryouts that actually HAD some talent. Others..well you know...

Hello Joe:

I got back from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess earlier this month. The process described above was pretty much what I experienced. I was fortunate enough to make the finals. While I felt comfortable doing karaoke, singing with a live band in front of a large audience was something completely different. I was pretty nervous, but with help from the production singers, CD staff and the band, I felt much better after rehearsals. I didn't win, but I had a great time and can't wait to try it again! Be sure to give it a go. Good luck!

Hey Tony, I'll go on your cruise, you take all the stuff you want to throw. I'll smuggle a pig aboard to eat it all and sell it and I can say I made money in show biz.

Good idea I'm in for that. Joe what do you think? We can sell the pig and with the money we all can go out drinking. WupperAV, You have to come too after all you smuggle the pig onboard. LOL

Tony

Good idea I'm in for that. Joe what do you think? We can sell the pig and with the money we all can go out drinking. WupperAV, You have to come too after all you smuggle the pig onboard. LOL

Tony

:rolleyes: I'll take the cash....AIBP here:D.

Hello Joe:

I got back from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess earlier this month. The process described above was pretty much what I experienced. I was fortunate enough to make the finals. While I felt comfortable doing karaoke, singing with a live band in front of a large audience was something completely different. I was pretty nervous, but with help from the production singers, CD staff and the band, I felt much better after rehearsals. I didn't win, but I had a great time and can't wait to try it again! Be sure to give it a go. Good luck!

Carnival Cruises does the 'Legends Show' in which I did. I wanted to do Elvis but the song Jail House Rock is not in my wheel house of songs to do:(. In stead I was Garth Brooks "Low Places" I too was nervous, however the regular cast after hearing me in rehearsal was like "Wow you do not need to be nervous", so I guess that helped a little.

• 1 month later...

Have done it twice.

First - Karaoke performance with passengers selecting the winners. There may be a few sessions. Usually 7 or 8 passengers are selected.

Second - Finalists are provided with a list of songs and the key they are in. There are roughly 40 songs, but some are female songs and some male songs. Some may be out of your range. So, the selections are really limited. All songs are shortened to about 90 to 120 seconds. These are the songs the orchestra has charts for.

Third - There will be three rehearsal sessions, the first with a few band members, second with the full band and third on stage a few hours before the show with the full band, sound check and simulated chair rotations.

If selected treat the experience as a show and not a contest and you will enjoy it.

Read your platter and see when the try outs are.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't remember that being done on my two cruises on the Grand this year.

Maybe they will add it when it returns from DD.

Update:

Just got back from the Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand, and yes, they do have the Voice of the Ocean on board. I participated and was picked as one of the 8 final singers. All singers performed with the live band in the Princess Theatre the last night of the cruise in front of 800 people. It was a lot of fun even if I didn't win ;-) I would do participate again [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they give a prize to the winner? I doubt I could entice my hubby to do it, and kind of promised (OK, I flat out promised) that I wouldn't try. But maybe if he finds out there is a prize, he may decide to try on his own

Edited by 3kidsncats

Do they give a prize to the winner? I doubt I could entice my hubby to do it, and kind of promised (OK, I flat out promised) that I wouldn't try. But maybe if he finds out there is a prize, he may decide to try on his own

You get a trophy just like the Voice on TV. The trophy has "Voice of the Ocean" on it. Also, everyone got a bottle of champagne -- not an expensive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums