Recommendation for a quiet cruise

Jetlagged787

We did a Caribbean cruise this year with Celebrity which was spoiled in part by the constant music in the public areas, We appreciate that these days it is what the majority seem to want and enjoy but it is definitely not for us. If we want live music we will go to a show, disco, club or whatever. If all we want to do is relax by the pool or with a drink in a bar, we do not find the need for constant music as we had on board this year.

It has not put us off cruising providing we can find a quieter alternative. Our plan for next year is to return to the Caribbean or maybe try Hawaii or Eastern Mediterranean. Our question is, can anyone recommend a cruise company or individual ship where we can select where and when we can be entertained?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You have brought up an unfortunate issue which has annoyed many cruisers on Celebrity, Princess, and some other lines. In most cases, the high priced ultra luxury lines (i.e. Seabourne, Regent, etc) do offer peace and quiet....but at an expensive price, The mass market lines seem to now have a philosophy that everyone wants to be constantly annoyed with extreme noise pollution! On Princess ships, one can pay extra for a reserved lounger in their Sanctuary where it will be quite peaceful. But why should we have to pay $60-$80 per day extra...for peace and quiet? Among the mass market lines, Holland America is among the quietest, but so are their passengers. On many of our HAL cruises the ship becomes a ghost town by 10pm,,,,which does not suit everyone.

As to Celebrity, while this has been one of our favorite "go to" cruise lines for the past several years, the use of loud and constant music blasting in the atrium, at the pool, etc. has given us a lot of grief. Our upcoming Eclipse cruise might be our last (for the foreseeable future) with this line with noise being the primary cause.

Hank

Thank you so much for your very quick reply Hank and for making me feel better about myself. I was beginning to despair and think that we were the odd ones out. It is refreshing and comforting to know that there are like minded people out there.

I will take your advice and take a look at what HAL have on offer for next year.

Thanks again and I hope that you are able to enjoy and relax on your next cruise.

Also you might check which ships you interested in have Serenity or Spa or quiet adult spaces. Some Carnival have the Serenity and know others cruise lines do have something. But yes it does seem like the music is forever, which is another reason I love a balcony room.

Hi

Really, the only place you can expect some semblance of "quiet" would be your cabin. Even then you have to count on having reasonable neighbors. This is a reason that a lot of people like having cabins with larger balconies or even larger suites so they can spread out in private.

The idea of having public areas that are "quiet" is unrealistic. Of course you can find a remote area on deck where nobody else will be and it will be very peaceful, but if you want to be at the center of "the action" you have to expect to have a crowd around you. The people themselves will make the noise. The music is helping drown out other sounds around. There are noise cancelling headphones that can mute most of these sound, also many play music that they enjoy. You can't expect a library atmosphere. If people are laughing at jokes or speaking loudly, it will be irritating if you want peace and quiet, it's not the fault of the music.

You can find areas like the chapel, or some places like the saunas in the spa where it will be very quiet. There are always lounges on all ships where there is nothing happening (no music). Take your drink and sit there, there won't be anyone else. I haven't seen an open bar or pool area on any ship that requires people to remain quiet.

hope this helps

Also you might check which ships you interested in have Serenity or Spa or quiet adult spaces. Some Carnival have the Serenity and know others cruise lines do have something. But yes it does seem like the music is forever, which is another reason I love a balcony room.

Thanks for your thoughts ekajun and I will check that out but from what Hank said it seems that the quiet areas are just another reason for the cruise lines to add to the bottom line. Balcony rooms are fine as they go but there are times when we would like to sit in a bar with a drink and enjoy conversation with the company of fellow travellers. That was impossible on Celebrity. Also, the balcony idea doesn't really allow for relaxing by the pool with a drink and a good book and taking occasional cooling dips in the water. Again, on Celebrity any idea of relaxing was a non starter.

Hi

Really, the only place you can expect some semblance of "quiet" would be your cabin. Even then you have to count on having reasonable neighbors. This is a reason that a lot of people like having cabins with larger balconies or even larger suites so they can spread out in private.

The idea of having public areas that are "quiet" is unrealistic. Of course you can find a remote area on deck where nobody else will be and it will be very peaceful, but if you want to be at the center of "the action" you have to expect to have a crowd around you. The people themselves will make the noise. The music is helping drown out other sounds around. There are noise cancelling headphones that can mute most of these sound, also many play music that they enjoy. You can't expect a library atmosphere. If people are laughing at jokes or speaking loudly, it will be irritating if you want peace and quiet, it's not the fault of the music.

You can find areas like the chapel, or some places like the saunas in the spa where it will be very quiet. There are always lounges on all ships where there is nothing happening (no music). Take your drink and sit there, there won't be anyone else. I haven't seen an open bar or pool area on any ship that requires people to remain quiet.

hope this helps

Hi Nic

Please don't misunderstand me, I do not have a problem with people talking, laughing or enjoying themselves even though some can be pretty loud at times! My problem is the constant thump, thump of the music that most people seem to deem a necessary part of life. Witness for yourself the number of folk in the streets and on public transport with the headphones/earpieces that you mention. I'm sure they are not using them to drown out the ambient noise.

I certainly do not think it unrealistic to expect that for part of the day at least, those of us who enjoy a quieter life can relax peacefully by the pool or in a bar. If cruising is all about forcing loud music on cruisers, perhaps we should consider a different type of holiday or find more wriggle room in our budget fo the likes of Seabourne or Regent mentioned by Hank.

We did a Caribbean cruise this year with Celebrity which was spoiled in part by the constant music in the public areas, We appreciate that these days it is what the majority seem to want and enjoy but it is definitely not for us. If we want live music we will go to a show, disco, club or whatever. If all we want to do is relax by the pool or with a drink in a bar, we do not find the need for constant music as we had on board this year.

It has not put us off cruising providing we can find a quieter alternative. Our plan for next year is to return to the Caribbean or maybe try Hawaii or Eastern Mediterranean. Our question is, can anyone recommend a cruise company or individual ship where we can select where and when we can be entertained?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Holland America was the first line to come to my mind when reading your post.

Finding a quiet spot on a party line defeats the purpose, in my opinion. My HAL cruises have been my most relaxed cruises.

Although, I also recommend Celebrity. The Solarium pool is an oasis where the only music playing is subtle, spa-like music. The Sky Lounge on Solstice Class ships with the huge blue-tinted windows is also a very relaxing place to hang out.

Edited by Aquahound

We like Oceania it does not really have pool games or loud music by the pool or anywhere for that matter

No rock climbing walls or flow riders just a nice quiet ambiance

some find it too quiet & boring

works for us

Edited by LHT28

On Celebrity, I found the adults-only pool area to be quiet, as it is a covered area, which is separated from the other pool area with a door. I found it peaceful, with soft spa music and nature sounds. I would suggest that you consider doing a Cunard cruise or Holland America, as the guests tend to be a little older and things are more catered to them.

Certainly HAL ships (which are NOT the floating nursing homes so many uninformed posters seem to believe) offer a more peaceful environment - with real music offered in the evenings - and none of the inescapable, mind-numbing, throbbing noise Celebrity and Princess seem to have adopted from Carnival and NCL. Cunard, of course, also offers a grown up (NOT old age) environment as well.

Someone just posted their review of their HAL Konigsdam TATL cruise. To me, the review complained quite a bit about lack of music at the pool, lack of enough music in the public areas at night, lack of enough organized activities all day/night long. Sounded like something I would be interested in; like you, I like my quiet, private time and don't like to be bombarded with constant music and activities. Perhaps Konigsdam will fit the bill - keep looking for reviews since this will be it's first Caribbean season.

My best friend on a cruise is my noise-cancelling headphones!! Not just for us on the plane anymore ;) Those headphones, my sunglasses, and my iPad and I am ready to hang anywhere. I'll chat when I want to, but I like the freedom to be able to retreat from the world (and the people on the ship) and be in my own little world.

One of the things I loved about my Crystal cruises was not just that they were relaxing, but they were quiet -- there were virtually no overhead announcements. There was just a once daily captain's update, and of course any safety announcements like for the muster drill. Otherwise nothing. It was great. No one announcing dinner time, bingo games, shopping sales, lecture start times, photo desk opening times.....nada.

We like Oceania it does not really have pool games or loud music by the pool or anywhere for that matter

No rock climbing walls or flow riders just a nice quiet ambiance

some find it too quiet & boring

works for us

On every Oceania cruise we've taken, we always meet several Celebrity cruisers who are amazed with the difference (primarily in food and service) and have become almost instant O loyalists.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. It's comforting to know that we're not alone in our desire for a little peace and quiet away from the daily hub hub.

We spent last night going through the offerings from HAL and feel positively energised again. Now we're off to check out the other suggestions that you have all made. If we cannot find something there, then we don't deserve to even leave the house!

Thanks again everybody. Happy cruising. :)