Nightmare tablemates?

Ken Greco

Agavegirl - don't worry, it will be fine. We're just sharing the horror stories. The important thing to remember is that it's your vacation and if you feel uncomfortable at our dinner table for ANY reason, feel free to ask the maitre'd to make a change. Have fun.

ok John - you got me. What exactly do I do? :D I promise to tell you if you're right! And then we can put Troy out of his misery. ;)

Something to do with concert promotions. Or maybe that's Mrs Ski.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Okay, you guys are starting to scare me a bit. I'm new as in really new and going on my very first cruise in March. Points of reference.

My husband is 12 years younger than me. Will I be judged?

My job is tax accountant. Will I be hounded for tax advice?

We only speak English. Will we be snubbed?

My husband is a Millwright and nobody knows what it is. It is a blue collar job that pays better than mine. Will people look down their noses?

We are in our late forties, late fifties. Will young people treat us like creeps?

We are not experienced cruisers (we like road trips). Will experienced cruisers think we are not worth talking to?

We always make friends wherever we go. We love to travel and being open is our "Minnesota Nice" way. So a few questions...

Is MTD worth it to you?

How easy is it to have your dining assignment changed?

Are there other options besides room service?

I feel like a babe in the woods or deer in the headlights here. I have been reading the boards all day and have a lot to learn.

Your profile says you live in Wisconsin. Having lived there for a few years myself, I must admit you're in danger of my making fun of your cheesy ways.

Hah!! I beg to differ John....Kay IS beautiful!! And so are your

grandchildren (from what Kay tells us ;)). And I know you have

a great sense of humor...or you would not have attracted Kay,

who is one of the the most fun ladies we have ever shared

drinks with in the CL. :D

Say "Hi" to your wife from Pat and Bucky!

Thanks, Pat!

Tell Bucky Hi!

I will tell Kay you were so kind.

I keep asking Kay why she married me, but after 45 years neither one of us remember!!:D

I LOVE her laugh!!

Our first cruise, DH and I were seated with a newlywed couple and each set of their parents. It went well.

Our second cruise, DH, DS and I were seated with a mother and her son, and then three people who never showed. The mother and son only showed up the first night, so it was a little awkward to be at this empty table.

Our third cruise, DH, DS and I were seated at a table for four and it was very nice.

Now, our fourth, DH and I have requested a table for two, and will change that if our friend is sailing with us, which is unsure right now.

I find the occupation questions to be either small talk or trying to suss out the type of working class person you are. Small talk, no problem, but if they are trying to find out so they can look down on you for whatever or to get professional help while you are on vacation, it is just fine to change the subject.

I'm in higher education and DH is a locksmith.

We were seated at a table for eight one time. All places were taken except two. After 15 minutes here comes a black man, about 40, around 250 lbs and at least 6'2". His "companion" was a white woman about 5'3", 120 lbs. hard to tell but looked to be around 20.

Now, while we all said welcome, the question on everyone's mind was ok, what's the story here?

The answer: they were on their honeymoon. We never knew anything more than that for 12 days. Nice people, good conversationalists, good sense of humor. Still would like to know the whole story.

When we first started cruising we never missed an MDR dinner really loved getting dressed and meeting new people it was big fun..... But we have become bored with the MDR ....how many cruises have you been on routine and now prefer to eat at a two top. The past two cruises we ate in the specialty restaurants and the WNJMR and if the CL has great chicken wings I make my dinner there. (BTW on the Brilliance 11/5/ 16 the chicken wings were fat meaty and wonderful) Although I do not enjoy sitting with 4 to 6 strangers on vacation anymore....I have some good memories and have met some really cool and some really freaky people in the MDR. It's part the true cruise experience.

We've been lucky to have been seated with nice folks on all but two cruises. On both cruises, it was a four top. Must be some sort of jinx for us, since I think those were the only two times we ever were at a four top.

First experience: other couple simply wouldn't acknowledge our presence. Wouldn't look at us, talk to us, or even say hello to us. We asked to be moved.

Second experience: those folks were nice enough except that the woman mentioned their Elite status (Princess) in just about everything she said. We were only lowly Platinums. This didn't really bother us, and after a couple of days it got to be pretty funny as an inside joke between the two of us.

First cruise. The helpful CCers back then suggested I go for the "big" table since I was traveling solo. Since they gave good suggestions for cabins (back when TAs were able to post and I actually booked with one - remember Tom from I think PA), I went with the table. Got an 8-top with 6 others. Once they found I was traveling solo, it was the pity party - "you're so brave", "couldn't you find anyone to come with you" "why are you by yourself", "do you want to go on excursion with so you won't be alone"... etc. I hated it. I traveled solo because I damn well wanted to. It doesn't take any kind of bravery to go it alone. If I wanted to go on an excursion with 49 other strangers on a bus and be herded around like sheeple, I would have booked it.

After that, it was 2-tops and buffets for me. I actually like the buffets for dinner - I LOVE to make a big entree-size salad with the makings of my choice. The vegetarian offerings in the MDR tend to get rather boring, anyway.

Yeah I can relate to that, cruise on my own a lot. You know it's not pity from the wives, it's jealousy. Just listen carefully, I wanted to go to that museum but he doesn't like museums, I wanted to go to this place but he didn't want to go. I wanted to eat here but he doesn't like it etc etc. just smile when they tell you how brave you are, put on the martyr look and go and enjoy doing what YOU want.

We must have been the nightmare tablemates on one cruise. We were at a four-top with another couple. They were Iowa farmers (we're also from the Midwest). Nonetheless, they were perhaps scandalized by a male couple, and we never saw them again after that first night, so we had a romantic table for two by the window. Our server kept asking us, though, where the other couple was, which was awkward. We only saw them once later on in the cruise, somewhere on board, and they hurried away guiltily.

Other than that, we've had amazing table mates, though some of them have been quite colorful. There was the older lady who was diamond plus, cruising solo, and who always showed up to the table several sheets to the wind--quite the grande dame, and hilarious stories about her younger days.

The only nightmare was a couple, well, only the wife was truly odd, who showed up on the second night of the cruise, numbers 7 and 8 of our 8-top. We were cruising with friends, and another couple who were classy and wonderful were at the table. So, the second-night couple arrived late, the wife severely drunk, and made quite the impression, especially since the wife was hanging on my husband and several times said loudly that she "just LOVED him." They were back maybe two nights later, this time not drunk, and halfway through the meal the wife just got up and stormed out, followed by the husband. We never found out why, and they never came back. The waiter and headwaiter ran after them to try to find out what the problem was, but to no avail. After that little performance, I looked at the rest of our tablemates and pronounced, "I liked her better when she was drunk." There was a big laugh, and dinner went on without them.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I have sat at communal tables at restaurants before and sometimes it is good, and sometimes very awkward (as in the entire family we are sitting with speaks Portuguese).

I think sharing horror stories is a great way to laugh at the parts of your vacation that didn't exactly go as planned. I have some luggage delayed in Chicago stories our travel companions experienced we share to great comedic effect.

Keep them coming. I think I have enough self assurance to nip any problem in the bud. Glad to know that most of your experiences are positive.

For those wondering, I grew up in Minnesota as did my husband. We lived there until our thirties and transplanted across the St. Croix River.

Minnesotans do things like substitute the word "different" for "weird" or "not that good".

We always have fun travelling and I expect this will be no exception. I was a bit hesitant about MDR set time dining but Hubby and I think this is best for us with the exception of a couple of special meals. I have never spent a whole 8 days with a bunch of strangers for meals so that will be new.

Large table? Check.

Bad tablemates? Talk to someone ... soon. Check.

You cruisers are so helpful

I agree. I hate being asked what I do. I usually give a generic non-specific answer and hope the person asking doesn't pry any further. Nine times out of ten they keep prying. Sigh!

I'm a terrible liar, but I really should pick a made up career and stick with it.

Do what I do.. tell them you work for the IRS. :) Conversation stopper! In my case it is the truth.

That would work. I know enough about tax code that that they would never question. Perfect!

I know less than you do then. My job at IRS is to make changes to the name/address part of the tax accounts. I do not deal with the tax code for my job.

So does that make them nightmare tablemates (as you have titled this thread) because you don't speak or understand Spanish? Possibly they thought phew, thank God those two no speaking Spanish Americans are no longer at our table. Something to think about when you're pointing fingers at others.

Well said davekathy

I know less than you do then. My job at IRS is to make changes to the name/address part of the tax accounts. I do not deal with the tax code for my job.

Unfortunately, I am a CPA currently doing only tax. I was once at a Halloween Party, dressed as a "sexy pirate" that spent half an hour discussing the pros and cons of incorporation as a Subchapter S or C Corporation. I think I would rather be having fun.

Unfortunately, I am a CPA currently doing only tax. I was once at a Halloween Party, dressed as a "sexy pirate" that spent half an hour discussing the pros and cons of incorporation as a Subchapter S or C Corporation. I think I would rather be having fun.

I agree... leave work on the shore!

Agreed. The only work that should be discussed on a cruise is that of the Captain and crew.:D

We've been on four cruises and have had nightmare tablemates for three of them. Unfortunately they wouldn't let us swap unless we took our kids with us - which would rather defeat the purpose of moving! :D

Seriously though, we've had some great table mates (including our own spawn) but have thoroughly enjoyed watching other tables. On our QM2 cruise we sat near a set of two tops. One was occupied with a very superior looking couple who ate each dinner in absolute silence without even once changing their facial expressions from a sneer. At no point in the entire seven night voyage did they even acknowledge the solo woman sitting at the adjacent two top - only a minuscule distance away! On the Celebrity Eclipse cruise we did shortly after, one family had a screaming argument at each other on the second night and stormed off in separate directions. We watched avidly for a repeat performance but they were quite civilized for the rest of the cruise. On the other side of us on that same cruise was another family who turned up late every dinner and gave the poor waiters hell. My kids were actually quite shocked at how they spoke to the waiters. And every meal time they had a full loaf of bread and a bunch of lemons placed in the table which they would eat with their hands. I'm suspecting a religious thing perhaps. However they were incredibly messy with it and there would be food left strewn across the table when they were finished.

No worries, I guess I need to pay more attention. I work for an oil company, at least for 3-4 more months.

I doubt anyone will ask for my advice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

John...what would be the best oil weight for changing the oil in the motor of our land yacht? :p :p :p

Edited by island lady

Thanks, Pat!

Tell Bucky Hi!

I will tell Kay you were so kind.

I keep asking Kay why she married me, but after 45 years neither one of us remember!!:D

I LOVE her laugh!!

LOL!!! We love her laugh also...and even she tells us "You can always tell which

lounge I am in from outside the door...with my laugh!". You just can't help but

laugh with her. :D

I showed Bucky your message...we both got a laugh out of your post. Thanks! :)

Agavegirl1, I'm a corporate paralegal and spend quite a bit of my time discussing the merits of Sub S vs. C corp incorporation or better yet, LLC formation!

You'll have a great time. I know our family (my ex, me, my 2 boys and my mom) were seated at a table with 3 other couples, all of an age that had kids MY age. I'm sure when they walked over and saw my younger one in a high chair and my older one sitting there, they were about ready to cut and run.

Luckily for us, they didn't and we had a lovely time. My kids had eaten at restaurants from a young age, and knew how to behave. They were lovely people, engaging conversationalists, and my ex even managed to get an email address and one sent him a fabulous New England Clam Chowder recipe.

But if you're feeling stressed after sitting down, don't suffer. You can simply ask for a change of table. Not every table assignment turns out to be fabulous.

Enjoy!