Do I really need a power strip?

gepgelmik

Going on my first cruise on the Anthem of the Seas soon! I've been combing the net for months to come up with a good packing list, and I know almost everyone recommends taking a power strip. However, I've got a room all to myself- does anyone know how many outlets are in an Anthem balcony room? Do I really need a power strip?

Going on my first cruise on the Anthem of the Seas soon! I've been combing the net for months to come up with a good packing list, and I know almost everyone recommends taking a power strip. However, I've got a room all to myself- does anyone know how many outlets are in an Anthem balcony room? Do I really need a power strip?

Two outlets near the vanity and one near the bed.

Three all up I think.

Many rooms have but a single outlet. Sometimes it is not a North American outlet. Many ships are built in Europe and have Schuko outlets.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Finternationalconfig.com%2Fprod_shot%2F70100x45-BLK.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Finternationalconfig.com%2Ficc6.asp%3Fitem%3D70114&docid=q7sNbtgWoLXfdM&tbnid=1SoaQerVg_unRM%3A&vet=1&w=314&h=224&bih=465&biw=976&ved=0ahUKEwiX3fb2qrHQAhXoj1QKHeSbBboQMwg7KAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

I never carry a power strip, but I do carry an extension cord that has a triple tap on the end. These are common everywhere in the US. I also carry an adapter to change from a variety of outlets to a North American one. Here is one for less than a tenner that covers anywhere most people go:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adapter-Sockets-Covering-Countries/dp/B00MNL3LRI

Some boats are 120V and some are 220V. The nice thing is that many products now automatically switch voltage and are clearly marked: Input Voltage 100 to 240 volts.

This includes most battery chargers for phones and cameras, laptop computers, hand held games, and electric shavers.

Always check the voltage before plugging in the device to make sure it matches the voltage in your suite, or fireworks may result.:eek:

Whether or not you need a power strip depends on how many devices you have that would all need to be plugged in at the same time. If you only have a couple of things to plug in, then you may not need a power strip. Consider whatever electrical / electronic items you'll have with you. Electric razor? Hairdryer? Chargers for rechargeable items? And one other thing to keep in mind. There is an outlet in the bathroom, typically located near the top right-hand corner of the mirror. However, that outlet is connected to the switch that turns the bathroom light on and off. So, when the light switch is turned off, that outlet is also turned off.

I no longer carry power strips. Instead I bring outlet taps. They weigh less and take up minimal luggage space. With surge protection restrictions... the affordable taps are my preferred choice. Some taps come with night lights.

They are so small.... just need to remember to pack them on debarkation day!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-Outlet-Heavy-Duty-Grounded-Adapter-Orange-54541/203742102

Edited by xlxo

I'm preparing for my fifth cruise. I've never brought a power strip, but I also don't travel with a laptop and make limited use of devices. I've never brought my own hair dryer; the one in room works fine. I don't bother bringing a curling iron, etc.

What electronic things do you really need to charge at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've never needed more than the 2 outlets that are pretty much standard in every room. The hair dryer in the room has its own outlet, our phone is mostly put away in the safe, and our laptop and cameras don't need to be charged constantly or at the same time. Unless you're traveling with some special medical equipment or are using/running down the battery on your phone constantly, you should be fine without a power strip.

What electronic things do you really need to charge at the same time?
  • smartphone
  • camera
  • camera flash
  • camcorder
  • electric toothbrush for the morning
  • shaver
  • gps
  • tablet
  • laptop
  • finally backup and roommate's equipment from above. Oh the kids stuff too.

I carry less now with a smartphone.

With a few multi-outlet taps... I no longer need to get up in the night to swap equipment.

And if you do decide to bring something make sure it does not have surge protection. If you search the forums on surge protection you'll find many discussions about this.

All the discussions boil down to this. The ship's electrical system is different than land based systems. Surge protection that works at your house is a potential fire hazard on the ship. That's what some folks with extensive naval electrical background say.

Some folks like you and me who spend most of our lives on dry land say pshaw... I've been using stuff with surge protectors for years with nary a problem. Kinda like how I jaywalk in front of my house everyday and don't get run over.

To me, past good luck is not a guarantor of future outcomes.

Feel free to reach your own conclusion in that debate.

Btw... Should they happen to actually find your power strip as you are boarding it may be taken until the end of your cruise. Power stripes are on the list of prohibited items in Royal's FAQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've made the switch to USB hubs, too, and couldn't be happier. The only things I have that can't really be plugged into USB are my SLR camera battery and...well, that's about it, really. I plug my camera in by the desk, and my iPhone, iPad, watch, and all other iDevices plug into the block on my nightstand. No problems at all...

This, by the way, has surge protection. Says so on the Web page.

Like I said. Makes your choices. Takes your chances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just because it says so on the Web doesn't make it true. I have researched multi-port USB chargers, and both third party sites like Amazon and manufacturer's sites like Anker do not post correct information. I have found, through direct communication with these manufacturers, that what they claim in their advertising as "surge protection" is really only "voltage regulation". The difference is immense. Voltage regulation will shut off all output from the charger when input voltage gets too high, but does not protect the equipment plugged into the outlet side from excessively high voltages which can burn through and jump the input/output junction. Surge protection takes high input voltage and shunts it to ground, which will protect the electronics from high voltage until the surge protector fails (could be one or more voltage spikes). These Anker USB chargers, in particular, have a two prong plug, so there is no connection to ground, and therefore they do not have surge protection. Without a connection to ground (3-prong plug), there cannot be any surge protection. Any multi-USB charger with a two prong plug is acceptable onboard ship.

18 cruises, and many trips around the world. Have never used a power strip. Have experimented with the USB splitter on our last European trip. It broke after about 3 days.

We travel with power toothbrush, two tablets, two cell phones. If plugs are limited...rarely less than two in any cabin...toothbrush power unit can go 4 to 5 days on one charge, so it is lowest priority. Cell phones are rarely used on cruises, so until last day, low priority to charge. Tablet charges overnight, every night.

Our camera comes with two batteries. We rarely go through one battery on one vacation, but always begin with two batteries, fully charged. Can't recall any time in the last 15 or more years we had to charge camera batteries on vacation, and that is a lot of vacations.

This one, however, as with most every combination power outlet and USB port, is surge protected, and should not be used onboard. This one does have a ground pin on the input plug (and even a "grounded" light), and does mention "joules of protection", as well as having a "protected" light.